Random Thread

Topics that can go away
rotting bones

Re: Random Thread

Post by rotting bones »

I had a sudden realization that Nabokov's Ada is the best novel I've ever read. Kundera's Unbearable Lightness loses out only because it has no sunlit gardens. Casanova's Memoirs are of comparable quality, but the fact that they're self-reports of a real life rapist and murderer creeps me out.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Ada is indeed wonderful. Some of the best world building I've ever read, combined with Nabokhov's amazing prose. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants to write a fantasy or alt-history novel, simply because you'll hate yourself and give up.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

One Hundred Years of Solitude is another novel with amazing conworlding.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

What, Nabokov wrote an alternate history novel? Wow. I didn't see that coming.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Unrelated: Any news about the situation in East Palestine? No, not the part of the Middle Eastern country. The town in the Midwestern/Northeastern USA. Apparently they had one of the worst chemical accidents in the history of their country a few days ago, but there seems to be relatively little reporting about it.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Raphael wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:02 am Unrelated: Any news about the situation in East Palestine? No, not the part of the Middle Eastern country. The town in the Midwestern/Northeastern USA. Apparently they had one of the worst chemical accidents in the history of their country a few days ago, but there seems to be relatively little reporting about it.
This is actually pretty close to me.

Train carrying 20 cars of vinyl chloride derailed and they had to evacuate half the town because it’s super combustible. Thankfully, instead of another Halifax incident, they were able to bleed the cars and then do a controlled burn.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Good luck.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

The accident was less terrible than it could have been because the crew had two people in it, something the railroads have been trying to change for years.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Moose-tache wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:13 pm The accident was less terrible than it could have been because the crew had two people in it, something the railroads have been trying to change for years.
Very, very good point.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

OK, perhaps the author of this article simply misunderstood something, but if it's true, it's just priceless:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/13/2359 ... usk-tweets

(Warning: that website seems to have difficulties right now.)
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:50 am
Raphael wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:02 am Unrelated: Any news about the situation in East Palestine? No, not the part of the Middle Eastern country. The town in the Midwestern/Northeastern USA. Apparently they had one of the worst chemical accidents in the history of their country a few days ago, but there seems to be relatively little reporting about it.
This is actually pretty close to me.

Train carrying 20 cars of vinyl chloride derailed and they had to evacuate half the town because it’s super combustible. Thankfully, instead of another Halifax incident, they were able to bleed the cars and then do a controlled burn.
A college friend of mine is the pastor of a church nearby; he and his congregation have been helping provide aid to the evacuees. I first heard about the train derailment indirectly from them through social media. I agree that there seemed to be little reporting about it when it first occurred, but that seems to have changed; at least, I have started seeing articles about it in the national media.

(On a different note, hello, everybody! I am a long-time member of the ZBB, but it has been a few years since I have posted anything. I hope to change that, at least for a while.)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Welcome back, and thank you for the update!
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Hi Glenn! Қош келдің! It's good to see you here again!
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

How... long ago did you stop coming by? I've been around here since 2008 and I don't remember any Glenn!
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Kuchigakatai wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:51 pm How... long ago did you stop coming by? I've been around here since 2008 and I don't remember any Glenn!
I just checked incatena.org, and Glenn stopped by in 2014, at least. So you probably weren't paying attention. :)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Welcome back!
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

hwhatting wrote:Hi Glenn! Қош келдің! It's good to see you here again!
Рақмет! (I fear that I have lost most of what little Kazakh I had, although I retain a fair amount of Russian.)
Raphael wrote:Welcome back, and thank you for the update!
Ares Land wrote:Welcome back!
Thank you!
Kuchigakatai wrote:How... long ago did you stop coming by? I've been around here since 2008 and I don't remember any Glenn!
I'm not surprised. I joined the board in in April 2002, when it was still the Virtual Verduria Message Board, and concerned almost entirely with Almea. I was a fairly active poster for the first few years, but then fell off, and largely stopped posting after I got married in 2007. These days, I am a regular lurker, but, as Mark noted, it's been several years since I posted anything. I hope to change that, at least temporarily. At any rate, greetings to all!
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

So, welcome back, Glenn!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Raphael wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:22 am Question: Does anyone know of a good book on the phenomenon known as "normalcy bias"? Preferably an affordable book, that is, a book sold at "academics writing for the general public" prices, not at "academics writing for other academics" prices.
Bump?
keenir

Post by keenir »

Raphael wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:40 am
Raphael wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:22 am Question: Does anyone know of a good book on the phenomenon known as "normalcy bias"? Preferably an affordable book, that is, a book sold at "academics writing for the general public" prices, not at "academics writing for other academics" prices.
Bump?
A.J.Jacobs had at least one anthology covering different mindsets, experiments, and such...if anyone has handled normalcy bias, I'd bet its in there somewhere.