Venting thread

Topics that can go away
chris_notts

Re: Venting thread

Post by chris_notts »

Torco wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:57 am yeah, that's where we use such... what are those things called? nursery rhymes? conventional expressions? spells? don't mean to, ofc, imply your heartache is childish or anything. I hadn't heard that version, tho, where is it from?
It wasn't my heartache! But it's from my wife, who's from Andalucía
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Thanks everyone.

I feel like I’m being rejected by women, by employers, by society in general. And it’s giving me suicidal thoughts like I have not had in almost a year.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I’m sorry for clogging the thread up…I get flashes of total despair like this from time to time. I spoke with my practitioner and I’m supposed to see her on Monday.
Torco

Post by Torco »

chris_notts wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:10 am
Torco wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:57 am yeah, that's where we use such... what are those things called? nursery rhymes? conventional expressions? spells? don't mean to, ofc, imply your heartache is childish or anything. I hadn't heard that version, tho, where is it from?
It wasn't my heartache! But it's from my wife, who's from Andalucía
Ah, makes sense. the andalucians like their diminutives, I think that's where we latin americans get it.
Man in Space wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:15 am Thanks everyone.
I feel like I’m being rejected by women, by employers, by society in general. And it’s giving me suicidal thoughts like I have not had in almost a year.
Ah, I grok you, brother, I was recently unemployed for like a year, and got those same thoughts. I was this close to just moving to the countryside and planting garlic or something, open up a furniture shop, start a liquor store, anything that didn't require permission from a bougie to work. I might still. The shitty thing is, people smell depression, and they react with rejection to it, so it's a turd of a catch 22. exercise, keto and time with friends gave me enough mana to hang there and mask interviews till I got a half-decent job.

And it's okay, it *is* the venting thread and you're not clogging up nuthin
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:15 am Thanks everyone.

Really terribly sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon!
Torco wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:57 pm Ah, I grok you, brother, I was recently unemployed for like a year, and got those same thoughts. I was this close to just moving to the countryside and planting garlic or something, open up a furniture shop, start a liquor store, anything that didn't require permission from a bougie to work. I might still. The shitty thing is, people smell depression, and they react with rejection to it, so it's a turd of a catch 22. exercise, keto and time with friends gave me enough mana to hang there and mask interviews till I got a half-decent job.

And it's okay, it *is* the venting thread and you're not clogging up nuthin
Same here! And that's wise advice. I really like the mana metaphor; it's exactly how it seems to work.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Relatively minor rant about bureaucratic annoyances:

I live right next to a state line or state boundary. On the other side of it is the city-state of Hamburg. That's the nearest major city to where I live, but since it's its own state, none of the government offices I have to deal with are there.

To illustrate the result, let's use a map, courtesy of openstreetmap. The "x" marked "1" is, roughly, where I live. The "x" marked "2" is, roughly, the center of the nearest major city. The "x"-es marked "3", "4", "5", and "6" are the seats of various government offices I sometimes have to deal with, or might sometimes have to deal with. ("3" and "4" might look as close to "1" as "2" is, but since you have to go throught the countryside to get there, it's a longer travel time if you use public transport.)

rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

I've been waking up at 6:30 AM for a few days now no matter when I turn in. I'm woozy by now.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

rotting bones wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:18 pm I've been waking up at 6:30 AM for a few days now no matter when I turn in. I'm woozy by now.
Good luck.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

rotting bones wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:18 pm I've been waking up at 6:30 AM for a few days now no matter when I turn in. I'm woozy by now.
It's healthy to have a regular wake-up time but it's best coupled with a regular sleep time.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:10 am I’m done with dating and romance. It only ever leads to failure, and thence heartache, for me.
Success does not necessarily come the ifrst time in anything. Considering you mention heartache and not disinterest, it seems you would actually like dating and romance, if successful. Which kind of partner would you like? Which kind of partner would you like to be?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

MacAnDàil wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:28 am
Man in Space wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:10 am I’m done with dating and romance. It only ever leads to failure, and thence heartache, for me.
Success does not necessarily come the ifrst time in anything. Considering you mention heartache and not disinterest, it seems you would actually like dating and romance, if successful. Which kind of partner would you like? Which kind of partner would you like to be?
If all you've seen of Man in Space is the post you're responding, that is a good response. But based on what I've seen Man in Space post before, I've got the impression that he already has a bit of a track record of getting his heart broken.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Raphael wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:39 am
MacAnDàil wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:28 am
If all you've seen of Man in Space is the post you're responding, that is a good response. But based on what I've seen Man in Space post before, I've got the impression that he already has a bit of a track record of getting his heart broken.
You are right. I can put into my personal context also: I used to get heartbreak often. One failed attempt told I lacked confidence so I looked into how to improve that. Then I realised I messed up in another way, by not taking into account my values. Now my romance is more or less fine and have to keep it up and think of the rest of my life and the planet we need to survive. I can not go back in time to stop myself wasting time but can hope others may find their way faster.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I'm just getting over a viral infection. When things like this happen, my mental health oft takes a nosedive. The sentiment remains but I'm in a much better state than I was around a week ago. Thanks everyone for checking in on me.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:02 pm I'm just getting over a viral infection. When things like this happen, my mental health oft takes a nosedive. The sentiment remains but I'm in a much better state than I was around a week ago. Thanks everyone for checking in on me.
Get better!
masako

Post by masako »

I went to the Phillipines last week to attend the wedding of a family friend. I had hopes of enjoying the local culture, cuisine, and language(s). First, the airline delayed my luggage by 4 days of a 6 day trip, forcing me to buy horribly fitting clothing and send out (pay for) laundry service that I would not have needed otherwise. While that was a bummer, and not something anyone can really plan for, the worse part was the harassment from the locals. Yes, I said harassment. The very instant they lay eyes on a non-Filipino they bombard you with offers of all sorts, to include solicitation for prostitution. On one occasion a gentleman followed me for almost two blocks asking me where I was going and what I was "looking for" to the point where I basically had to yell at him that I didn't want anything so loudly that people stopped and stared.

This harassment, and the gorging of prices for a short taxi trip resulted in me wanting to stay at the hotel, and while they had a pool and a few restaurants, it wasn't a varied selection, nor where they really Filipino (apparently Koreans own this particular hotel). The week was only saved by the wedding, which was pleasant enough, at least until the reception. The MC for the reception was an energetic fellow whose mic was clearly on full volume while he yelled every syllable as loudly as his lungs would allow. I'm all for a party, but in a room smaller than the average football pitch, with no fewer than 300 people, we don't need such audiological assaults. I left almost immediately after eating as my migraine was getting worse by the minute.

Just not a fun trip for me. Don't see myself going back soon, if ever.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Sorry to hear that.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Large numbers of cheap workers is the bounty capitalism bestows upon the elect. Are you preaching heresy?

That's Third World harassment for you. It's the same in India. I heard in Ethiopia, they used to mob you and take your stuff. I hear their still try to sneak off with your belongings in Vietnam.
masako

Post by masako »

*makes notes*

Good to know, thank you.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I can’t work in this industry anymore…but what do I do? It took me over 300 applications to get this gig, and now I have to pivot to an entirely new field.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Man in Space wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:57 pm I can’t work in this industry anymore…but what do I do? It took me over 300 applications to get this gig, and now I have to pivot to an entirely new field.
What field and why must you leave?
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him