Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Torco

Re: Venting thread

Post by Torco »

What's sump pump, precious? what's sump pump, eh?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:53 am Our sump pump failed. It rained.
Torco wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:55 am What's sump pump, precious? what's sump pump, eh?
Is this the core of the lyrics for the next duet hit song?
Torco

Post by Torco »

yes
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Torco wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:55 am What's sump pump, precious? what's sump pump, eh?
I am not familiar with Chilean architectural practice, but in Eagle Land, it’s common for houses to have basements. Sometimes the water table causes problems with this. One common solution is to dig a pit (a “sump”) to collect inflowing water and then have a pump get rid of it into the sewer.

Our pump failed and the basement nearly flooded. Two weeks earlier and it could’ve killed all the musical electronics.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:23 am Two weeks earlier and it could’ve killed all the musical electronics.
Oooouuuuuch!
Torco

Post by Torco »

I don't honestly know we we don't build basements: very old, well-off country houses sometimes do, and they're really useful, nifty little features to a house. and yeah, in really flat lands where it rains a lot like.... not here... the water level is probably often near the ground. Ya, that sounds like a close call.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

There's an enormous fire on a truck stop relatively close to where I live. So far, I'm neither seeing nor smelling the smoke, but that might change with time.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Raphael wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:54 pm I'm starting to worry what my habit of occasionally screaming at electronic gadgets might say about me as a person. Hear me out:

There isn't really any human being over whom I have power. Sure, I belong to various demographic groups that are pretty powerful in the larger scheme of things, but personally, as an individual, I've almost never been in a position of power over anyone. The only exceptions were a few shifts during my time as a volunteer, when I was in charge of one or two other volunteers for a few hours. And as far as I can remember, on each of those occasions, that felt pretty weird to me.

So I've basically never had serious power over other people, but, of course, to some extent I have power over the things in my household, including my electronic gadgets. And, well, they often drive me up the wall, when they don't work the way I want them to work. And this worries me a bit. After all, some smart people have said things along the lines that one of the ultimate tests of a person's character is how they treat their subordinates. And, in a way, my computer, my cellphone, and my e-book reader are the closest things I have to subordinates.

So, should I be worried about the fact that I sometimes yell at these inanimate objects?
If you're going to yell at all, yelling at inanimate objects when animates are absent is the best(/ least worst) option. It may indicate that electronic gadgets are the most annoying and frustrating inanimate objects you have to deal with. I myself have found that.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

MacAnDàil wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:51 amIf you're going to yell at all, yelling at inanimate objects when animates are absent is the best(/ least worst) option. It may indicate that electronic gadgets are the most annoying and frustrating inanimate objects you have to deal with. I myself have found that.
Thank you for the perspective. It's just that I sometimes worry, "If I yell a lot at inanimate objects when they're the only things I have power over, what would I do to human beings if I would have power over them?"
xxx

Post by xxx »

consider them as inanimate...
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

I got really drunk today and i don't even feel good afterwards.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

foxcatdog wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:39 am I got really drunk today and i don't even feel good afterwards.
Why would you feel good afterwards? You just poisoned yourself. (And I say this as someone whose plans this evening are to go out and get poisoned.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

There's a reason that, as recreational substances go, I prefer to stick to caffeine. (Of course, overdoing even caffeine can be very unpleasant, but it's much harder to drink the amount of coffee necessary than to drink the amount of alcohol necessary to give you a raging hangover.)
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:19 am(Of course, overdoing even caffeine can be very unpleasant,
I've been in situations where I wasn't sure whether my headache was caused by too much or too little caffeine.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:19 amThere's a reason that, as recreational substances go, I prefer to stick to caffeine.
I really really enjoy sleeping though.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

As they say -- Alcohol is a poison that kills slowly. Good! We're in no hurry.

I'm really fortunate; caffeine rarely prevents me from sleeping. I only drink espresso though, which is actually pretty weak in caffeine.
Americans really have a knack for making drip coffee; it's consistently excellent, but one cap is enough to give tachycardia :)

As for alcohol, I mostly drink a glass of wine or two with dinner and lunch. Both popular wisdom and medical studies say it's excellent for my health. I strongly suspect 'popular wisdom' is disseminated by winemakers and those 'medical studies' were sponsored by the same :)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I learned the hard way that butter and non-sticky pans don't combine well.
FlamyobatRudki

I no longer want to learn

Post by FlamyobatRudki »

World is too depressing,
i hardly understand what happens anyway.

I really don't, My life is so depressing and painful
I'd rather live in a fantasy world;
it makes me mentally unwell.

trying to learn confuses me, and gives me headache
and makes me more tired and stressed.
I've been suffering from weeks too years of intelectual burnout.
xxx

Re: I no longer want to learn

Post by xxx »

but we live in a fantasy world, just read it with conlang words to see it change color...
we should not worry too much with the presupposed expectations of this world, everyone has his words to say and his path to draw on this earth...
you just have to find yours and stick to it...
alice

Post by alice »

Dammit, looks like my anxiety might be back. Spend much of the small hours this morning hanging around outside waiting for the paramedics.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.