Famous 1970s Dinosaur Conlang Pakuni, Ancient Greek, Bees: Prometheus Text 2

Conworlds and conlangs
Bob

Post by Bob »

2pens7.jpg
2pens7.jpg (25.76 KiB) Viewed 7335 times
Here's more of the Pakuni Language from the 1970s dinosaur hit "Land of the Lost". Because Marc Zender's last post was about the insect-like Sleestak, here's the beehive part from the Ancient Greek language Prometheus Myth in Hesiod's Theogony. Nels Olsen

The name "Pakuni" was even invented by the Star Trek Original Series writer who wrote "The Trouble with Tribbles". It's probably supposed to sound like language names like Pakistani. His episodes even refer to the Klingon language as Klingoni! They hired a lot of Star Trek writers and so the fandoms overlap. (This discovery was recently made and posted in the LOTL fb group by Professor Marc Zender of Tulane University in New Orleans, USA!)

"Land of the Lost" was very popular, mostly among kids under 12, in 1974. It also featured TV or movies' first verifiable conlang (other than Esperanto), Pakuni. Of which I am a major decipherer and scholar.

Here's the grammars for the language and this blog also contains my deciphered corpus and dictionaries.

https://naviklingon.blogspot.com/2018/1 ... w=flipcard

(Sleestak are evolved and de-evolved dinosaurs from another planet, in the tradition of the Morlocks from HG Wells' The Time Machine. Perhaps they evolved from triceratops? They're also based on such famed beings as the nagas of South and Southeast Asia, so I think.) The Pakuni language is based on the Kwa Languages of Ghana in West Africa perhaps because of their mechanical similarities to English.

I give the Ancient Greek, the English translation, and the Pakuni translation by me. Fromkin made the grammar and then Fromkin's words have _ after them. These mostly do occur in the TV series as well, though all animals have a- instead of i-.

I hope to type up my whole Pakuni translation of the thing eventually. The below follows Pakuni word order exactly and differs from its idioms little. This was done to make the translation go faster.

The image is from the big-budget 2009 movie.

https://naviklingon.blogspot.com/2018/1 ... w=flipcard

Again, I'm somewhat versed in Ancient Greek and associated writings but each text is also its own island and its own work. I present the text because it's interesting but I should say it's one of the most negative things of its sort I've read in any ancient text. Sometimes things don't work out and sometimes they do. Hesiod here is focusing on the negative to stress the punishments of the god Zeus. I'm actually quite into Women's Studies, hence my decision to use this part of the Prometheus myth in Theogony. Though it's not really typical and leaves the reader a bit sore, right? :) (Theogony means "birth of the gods" and the book is mostly this big geneology for the gods and for the universe which seems to be composed of them or something.)

Sorry if anyone doesn't like their Ancient Greek that large. I like foreign language fonts in a nice, large size. Especially Classical Chinese, like Legge (and not like Edward Shaughnessy). Not to knock Shaughnessy's great scholarship. Toast! 🍻

And as in thatched hives bees

ὡς δ᾽ ὁπότ᾽ ἐν σμήνεσσι κατηρεφέεσσι μέλισσαι

And A_

as GURA

hives ODIKA

thatched BARGASA

, ,

bees ODIKI

595 κηφῆνας βόσκωσι, κακῶν ξυνήονας ἔργων—

αἳ μέν τε πρόπαν ἦμαρ ἐς ἠέλιον καταδύντα

ἠμάτιαι σπεύδουσι τιθεῖσί τε κηρία λευκά,

οἳ δ᾽ ἔντοσθε μένοντες ἐπηρεφέας κατὰ σίμβλους

ἀλλότριον κάματον σφετέρην ἐς γαστέρ᾽ ἀμῶνται—

[595] feed the drones whose nature is to do mischief—by day and throughout the day until the sun goes down the bees are busy and lay the white combs, while the drones stay at home in the covered hives and reap the toil of others into their own bellies—

feed RAWA

drones IMUKUNI

which SHA_

nature OTEFE

is GU

for, Infinitive DAN_

do SHI_

mischief OPEKE

-

through PO

day INO_

and A_

throughout CHE

day INO_

- -

until SO

sun ESAM_

go KU_

down DUCHI_

bees ODIKI

are busy TATA

and A_

lay DADA

combs EKIDO-NI

white BAROSA-NI

while PO

drones IMUKUNI

stay KITO

in U_

home OKAJA

in U_]

skeps EGADANI

covered NEMNEMSA-NI

their WA-NI_

and A_

reap BONGBONG

the toil OKAGA

of FI

others AMAJINI

to OM_

their WANI_

own @

bellies TOPONI

- -
Last edited by Bob on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Raholeun

Re: Famous 1970s Dinosaur Conlang Pakuni, Ancient Greek, Bees: Prometheus Text 2

Post by Raholeun »

I still don't get it. What does Ancient Greek have to do with dinosaurs and Ghana and Star Trek and conlanging? Sounds quite like the ramblings of my schizophrenic neighbour, to be frank.
xxx

Re: Famous 1970s Dinosaur Conlang Pakuni, Ancient Greek, Bees: Prometheus Text 2

Post by xxx »

schizophrenic guys could make good conlangers...
TurkeySloth

Post by TurkeySloth »

Raholeun wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:27 am I still don't get it. What does Ancient Greek have to do with dinosaurs and Ghana and Star Trek and conlanging? Sounds quite like the ramblings of my schizophrenic neighbour, to be frank.
Ya ain't the only one. Make room for me in that boat. Granted, I'm without the schizophrenic neighbor.
f/k/a yangfiretiger121
Alien conlangs
Bob

Post by Bob »

Raholeun:
xxx:
yangfiretiger121:

You're just being abusive and trolling. That is some serious slanderous language for a post about Greek mythology poetry. The whole thing makes sense. If I didn't explain it all in this post, I explained it in previous posts.

I made a translation of an Ancient Greek text into a famous invented language. The famous invented language was made by likewise famous Professor Victoria Fromkin in the 1970s for the television show "Land of the Lost". She based it on languages from Ghana, the Kwa Family. The tv show used writers from Star Trek. The show notable contains a lot of dinosaurs. The themes of the conlang are dinosaurs and cavemen.

You guys are probably jealous of me. Or you could be the admins of the facebook group Constructed Languages or Languages and Linguistics, including famous conlanger David Salo. I suppose you could hide behind your anonymity and commit any sort of crime so long as admins are silent and allow it. I've been reporting posts like these to the Zompist Bboard's admins. I don't run my own facebook groups like this, I don't allow people to abuse others like this if they don't like them or their posts or whatever.

There's a practice on facebook which I don't know the name of. If someone doesn't like someone's post or reply or their person, they post some outrageous reply. Unless the abuser is an admin, the solution to to block that person, though it can be difficult if that person is an otherwise interesting contributor. It's only really on the very large facebook groups (more than 10,000 people) that there's much activity or problems like this. But it does happen on groups of smaller numbers of people.

You guys should be held accountable for what you post. The Zompist Bboard, head admin, Mark Rosenfelder, should also be held accountable for what people post on his forum.
elemtilas

Post by elemtilas »

Curious, Bob: what is your connexion with Pakuni a/o Land of the Lost? It seems to be very important to you.
--insert pithy saying here--
TurkeySloth

Post by TurkeySloth »

Bob wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:05 pm Raholeun:
xxx:
yangfiretiger121:

You're just being abusive and trolling. That is some serious slanderous language for a post about Greek mythology poetry. The whole thing makes sense. If I didn't explain it all in this post, I explained it in previous posts.

I made a translation of an Ancient Greek text into a famous invented language. The famous invented language was made by likewise famous Professor Victoria Fromkin in the 1970s for the television show "Land of the Lost". She based it on languages from Ghana, the Kwa Family. The tv show used writers from Star Trek. The show notable contains a lot of dinosaurs. The themes of the conlang are dinosaurs and cavemen.

You guys are probably jealous of me. Or you could be the admins of the facebook group Constructed Languages or Languages and Linguistics, including famous conlanger David Salo. I suppose you could hide behind your anonymity and commit any sort of crime so long as admins are silent and allow it. I've been reporting posts like these to the Zompist Bboard's admins. I don't run my own facebook groups like this, I don't allow people to abuse others like this if they don't like them or their posts or whatever.

There's a practice on facebook which I don't know the name of. If someone doesn't like someone's post or reply or their person, they post some outrageous reply. Unless the abuser is an admin, the solution to to block that person, though it can be difficult if that person is an otherwise interesting contributor. It's only really on the very large facebook groups (more than 10,000 people) that there's much activity or problems like this. But it does happen on groups of smaller numbers of people.

You guys should be held accountable for what you post. The Zompist Bboard, head admin, Mark Rosenfelder, should also be held accountable for what people post on his forum.
Dude. You take things too literally. I believe all Raho was trying to say, minus the schizophrenic neighbor bit, is that your titling of these topics is overly complex and can be very confusing. Try something simpler, like "[insert-material-here] Translated into Pakuni," next time.
f/k/a yangfiretiger121
Alien conlangs
alice

Post by alice »

Bob, a few points to help you cool down and think a bit.

1. Yes, some others in this thread could have been a little less abusive. It's not nice to get that sort of feedback, especially when you've clearly put a lot of effort into something. (You might want to consider what its like to get no feedback at all.)

2. A bit of context to begin with would have been useful; for example:
Bob wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:05 pmI made a translation of an Ancient Greek text into a famous invented language. The famous invented language was made by likewise famous Professor Victoria Fromkin in the 1970s for the television show "Land of the Lost". She based it on languages from Ghana, the Kwa Family. The tv show used writers from Star Trek. The show notable contains a lot of dinosaurs. The themes of the conlang are dinosaurs and cavemen.
I've never heard of this TV show, or of this language, or of its creator, and I question your choice of the word "famous". But if you'd said this at the start of what was a very long post I would have been enlightened, and with a bit of enlightenment, what you've done makes more sense.

3. There's no need for this:
Bob wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:05 pmYou guys are probably jealous of me.
Jealous? Why?

4. In addition:
Bob wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:05 pmOr you could be the admins of the facebook group Constructed Languages or Languages and Linguistics, including famous conlanger David Salo. I suppose you could hide behind your anonymity and commit any sort of crime so long as admins are silent and allow it. I've been reporting posts like these to the Zompist Bboard's admins. I don't run my own facebook groups like this, I don't allow people to abuse others like this if they don't like them or their posts or whatever.

This is not Facebook, it's the ZBB, and you really should know the rules when posting. If not, I'm sure one of the admins will explain them to you. And what's the deal with those Facebook admins?

5. And:
Bob wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:05 pmYou guys should be held accountable for what you post.
I'm pretty sure we already are. I've made a few out-of-line posts in my time here, and I certainly was held accountable.

6. Finally:
Bob wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:05 pmThe Zompist Bboard, head admin, Mark Rosenfelder, should also be held accountable for what people post on his forum.
Why? If someone, say, makes a post inciting other ZBB members to commit acts of terrorism, is that Mark's fault? What if he's in hospital at the time and doesn't have Internet access?

Meanwhile, you might want to consider rewriting your post with an explanation at the top for those who haven't seen your other threads, and shorten the main part of it to avoid overwhelming the reader. You'll quite probably get better feedback that way.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Bob wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:05 pmYou guys are probably jealous of me. Or you could be the admins of the facebook group Constructed Languages or Languages and Linguistics, including famous conlanger David Salo. I suppose you could hide behind your anonymity and commit any sort of crime so long as admins are silent and allow it. I've been reporting posts like these to the Zompist Bboard's admins. I don't run my own facebook groups like this, I don't allow people to abuse others like this if they don't like them or their posts or whatever.
We do take abuse seriously here, and you're being abusive. So take this as a formal warning. Plus, you can take a day off to cool down.

You were treated rudely (by Raholeun, who I will admonish privately), and your response is to make scurrilous accusations. This is not a bar fight; it is not acceptable to respond to something bothersome by wracking your brain to come up with something actually slanderous.

I'm sorry you've been getting harsh reactions, but it's evident that you seem unwilling to understand why people react that way, and the only response you know is to become ridiculously hostile yourself. And by your own account, you've been having these problems elsewhere too. These are your problems and you need to work on them. You need to learn to communicate more clearly, and to wait for admin responses instead of worsening the problem with your own abuse.
Frislander

Post by Frislander »

Bob, mate, can I try and explain this to you. The main thrust of the responses you're getting from us is mainly sparked by our marked bewilderment at what you're posting. I think that fundamentally we are interested in what you have to say, but your presenting style makes it very difficult for us to make sense of the point of what your trying to say. When we read something like
Bob wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:05 pmI made a translation of an Ancient Greek text into a famous invented language. The famous invented language was made by likewise famous Professor Victoria Fromkin in the 1970s for the television show "Land of the Lost". She based it on languages from Ghana, the Kwa Family. The tv show used writers from Star Trek. The show notable contains a lot of dinosaurs. The themes of the conlang are dinosaurs and cavemen.
it is clear that you are including a lot of tangents off into stuff which is is only circumstantially connected to what you're discussing (in this case I'm guessing the translation), and thus not directly relevant or required. Can I recommend that you look at how other threads on this site are laid out and organised and try and follow that, then we might be able to make out a point. Make a post on the meta-textual history of Pakuni, its inspiration and its connection to Star Trek, heck even write a book if you care this much. But it's not directly relevant to your translation, so it's not necessary and only serves to create the confusion you see here.

Also please can you give properly formatted glosses for your translations? Having half of your post be taken up with a load of word-pairs each taking their own line is damn hard to read. If you're going to give a gloss please use something like this format:

Code: Select all

A_  GURA ODIKA BARGASA,,,  ODIKI
and as   hives thatched,,, bees
(And some kind of morphological breakdown would be nice too, like ODIKA being glossed hive-PL or similar, I don't know how Pakuni marks plurals, or even if at all - if it doesn't then don't mark this as plural).
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

I think it's useful, when writing, to consider two questions, with regard to each sentence you write: how does this relate logically to the preceding sentence; and how does this relate logically to the overarching theme of the post?

If you can't answer these questions, your readers probably can't either; and if your readers can't answer these questions, this is stressful, because they will constantly be thinking: "what is this sentence for? what am I failing to understand?" - because we assume that things will be put together coherently. When things aren't, people get puzzled, and stressed, and if they get puzzled and stressed enough without enough payoff, they get annoyed.

A third question, about pieces of information you provide: "does the information I've provided explain my intent so that other people would understand?" - both missing information and excess information cause stress.

Futhermore: paragraphs are useful, to group together sentences that discuss the same topic. When unrelated sentences are put in one paragraph, it causes puzzlement; when related sentences are separated into separate paragraphs, that also causes puzzlement.

I will say: congratulations, this post was actually much more understandable than the previous ones.

But to take your first paragraph as an example:
Here's more of the Pakuni Language from the 1970s dinosaur hit "Land of the Lost".
OK, that's fine - so, you're going to post an example of Pakuni, which occured on some obscure TV program half a century ago. That's an unusual topic, but there's nothing wrong with it - it's something many people here would be at least somewhat interested in.
Because Marc Zender's last post was about the insect-like Sleestak,
But here we struggle. Who is Marc Zender? Why do we care about him? You say that he's "Professor Marc Zender of Tulane University in New Orleans, USA!" - but you don't explain that until the paragraph AFTER you first mention him. You obviously know who he is, but we don't, yet. And then we have to ask: so why do we care what Marc Zender's last post was? OK, he's a professor in New Orleans, but what does he have to do with anything here? Later you explain that he's the man who discovered that the Pakuni and Star Trek fandoms overlap (did that need a discoverer?), but why does that make him important? And what do you mean by "his last post"? Has he died? His last post... on an internet forum? Which? There's not enough information here to know what impression we're meant to draw from this. And the insect-like Sleestak? What are they? LATER you explain that they're evolved from dinosaurs - and given that Pakuni is dinosaur related, maybe we should assume that it's the Sleestak who speak Pakuni? But then, how can they be both dinosaur-evolved and also 'insect-like'?
here's the beehive part from the Ancient Greek language Prometheus Myth in Hesiod's Theogony.
I think I see the sense here - you're saying that because "Marc Zender's last post" was about insects (who are also dinosaurs), you've translated something about bees, which are also insects. It's not that clear, though, and it's phrase very oddly - "the Ancient Greek language Prometheus Myth" reads at first as just a chain of unrelated nouns. Ancient Greek is usually called 'Ancient Greek', not 'Ancient Greek language', and the myth isn't language-specific. And what beehive part? Are we expected to know the Theogony by heart, to know what you mean by "the beehive part"?

So perhaps a more smoothly flowing phrasing might be something like:
"Hi guys, I'm back with another translation into Pakuni. This one is a translation of an interesting passage in Hesiod's Theogony, about beehives." [although the passage actually seems to be about women]. By writing things so that others can more easily understand you and your intent, you increase the chances that they will feel able to look closely at your work. Personally, I keep glossing over your work, because I find it too much effort to try to work out what you are saying and why.
Nels Olsen
I have no idea what this sentence is for. Presumably this is a person's name, but I don't know who this person is, or what they have to do with Hesiod, Pakuni, Marc Zender's demise, or anything else.

---------

Likewise the paragraph frislander quotes:
I made a translation of an Ancient Greek text into a famous invented language.
OK. Not sure why you keep describing it as a 'famous' invented language, though - because a) who cares? and b) it isn't. But OK.
The famous invented language was made by likewise famous Professor Victoria Fromkin in the 1970s for the television show "Land of the Lost"
OK. It's getting weird how much you're insisting on fame. This is valid background information, but I feel you've already established it it your earlier post. Perhaps you might, say, include this as a footnote here for people who forgot, rather than diverting your post itself. Is this a post about explaining what Pakuni is, or is it a post about a translation you made?
She based it on languages from Ghana, the Kwa Family.
That's interesting, but again, is it relevant? As frislander says, if you want to teach people about the history of Pakuni, maybe make a thread specifically about that?
The tv show used writers from Star Trek.
Err.... what on earth is this doing here? What does this have to do with the grammar of the language or the content of the extract from Hesiod?

----------

I would also say - as forum advice, rather than English advice - that it's best to avoid boasting. Nobody likes people who boast about how wonderful they are - "I am a major scholar... you guys are probably jealous of me". No, we're not. And perhaps you are and perhaps you aren't, but nobody likes someone who tries to lord it over other people like that. Particularly when the claims are absurd, as in your other thread (where you claim to be one of the only people to have studied a particular, well-studied native american language).And when you make paranoid claims - suggesting that we're not just jealous of you but specifically are some guy called "David Salo" - that alienates potential readers.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Raholeun
x
yangfiretiger121
alice
Frislander
elemtilas
Salmoneus:

Thank-you for your responses.

In response to idea that this post was poorly-organized, I'm not going to spend all day typing up presentations for Facebook or Zompist Bboard. I try to organize them the best I can, then I post them. My main focus is my scholarship, the closest to which are my blog posts.

My recent posts were made for facebook initially. I adjust them for different groups I post to then I adjust them and post them here.

If everything isn't explained in a single post by me, the thing to do is to read previous posts or do some of your own research.

Here's some quick explanations:

Ancient Greek and Hesiod: I just chose this text to translate into the Pakuni language. It's fitting because Land of the Lost's first episode is a version of the Prometheus myth.

The Pakuni language, made by Professor of Linguistics Victoria Fromkin of the UCLA (Emeritus and deceased) in about 1974, is based on the Kwa family of languages from Ghana in West Africa. Probably because they're similar in mechanics to English. The language is notable for being a dinosaur and caveman conlang because it concerns such topics. It's spoken by cavemen-like characters, perhaps australopithecuses.

Land of the Lost (LL) is famous or known for having Star Trek (ST) writers work on it extensively. So the fandsoms of LL and ST overlap.

It may not be famous to most of you, but in America, for the 1970s, LL is famous like the Beatles. Among people who study the history of famous conlangs, Pakuni is famous and well-known. It is in David Peterson's recent "The Art of Invented Languages", even, and is in the conlanging encyclopedia of so many years back. It's in the Wikipedia article.

Inasfar as Tolkein's conlangs are famous to anyone, Pakuni has a lesser fame. Perhaps it is the sort of fame which an academic or an academic's topics have among those who know. Pakuni to many is an obscure topic which was of minor interest to those interested in LL in the 1970s - mostly children under 12. Which is fair, I was 15 in 2001 when "Atlantis The Lost Empire" came out.

Elemtilas in particular:

I and my various teams really appreciate your supportive posts.

I think I already said all this someplace recently on Zompist Bboard. Here's a shout out to all my people, though:

I am a major amateur scholar of the history of invented languages and of "famous invented languages". Also, I have deciphered many of those previously undeciphered. Few also seem to study as many of them as I. I'm also a conlanger, though usually once a month or less, these years. I'm mostly an amateur scholar of all hieroglyphic writing systems. I have a BA in Linguistics from Michigan State University from 2009.

My reception as an amateur scholar for conlangs is mostly based on my posts to Zompist Bboard and private messages with other conlangers on facebook over the years, which I should collect and publicize.

My reception as an amateur scholar of hieroglyphic writing systems is mostly based on my posts to the facebook group Historical Lingusitics and Etymology, as I have yet to try to publish anything and people don't post replies to my blog. It's mostly positive but I've learned a lot. Few do exactly what I do, so I don't really get exact feedback. One would have to read the literature, read what I write, then really get into it. My conlangs are like that also but I think I'm held in lesser esteem because of my minority approach.

( I say "deciphered" but what each scholar does is "a decipherment contribution" in my terminology. Sometimes a person can do their best and then later someone else totally outdoes it. )

And if this group is pro-conlanging, there really should be some welcome for me and the teams of people whom I unofficially represent, active and especially inactive. Decipherment is a work of scholarship, which requires effort but not a lifetime.

I'm just working on Pakuni these weeks. I deciphered it back in 2014 and it needs attention and has recently seen a resurgence of public interest on the Land of the Lost major facebook group. I like to sometimes return to my deciphered famous conlangs and work with them a bit, to make use of all my previous labors and celebrate them. To many, the sort of work I did in deciphering these languages was very laborious.

David Salo is a major famous conlang personality. He's a PhD student at the University of Wisconsin and the person who did all the Tolkein conlangs for the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies. He is a co-founder of the facebook group Constructed Languages and was one of perhaps 5 hosts of Britton Watkins' recent Conlanging documentary, with David Peterson of Game of Thrones, the Avatar and John Carter conlanger, and Marc Okrand of Klingon and my Atlantean. (There's also a new famous conlanger, the one who worked on Alpha and some other movies. Her conlangs have yet to be documented and deciphered and presented online.) ]

Britton Watkins' recent "Conlanging" documentary
http://conlangingfilm.com/about/

Britton Watkins made an indy film, Senn, with tons of conlang and conscript, highly recommended, and also did a conlang for this one famous internet video game which is forever in production. He also apparently has done a lot on Mark Gardiner and crew's development of Okrand's Vulcan Language from Star Trek. This is the best or one of the best developments of a famous conlang. (I use "development" for the careful expansion in grammar and lexicon of a conlang.) Okrand has told me in private communication that he thinks the Vulcan Language in Star Trek was not a real conlang but just him making gibberish to match previously-recorded English lines. So then Gardiner and crew's accomplishment would be something distinct from a developed conlang, it would be a great conlang made from a Fake Language or semi-asemic gibberish. Someone has yet to research this in full.

An recent sci-fi Indy film with lots of conlangs and conscripts.
https://www.facebook.com/Sennition/

David Salo recently imitated me (?) in my decipherment of famous conlangs by working with someone on a decipherment (or development?) of the Ferengi Fake Language or Conlang from Star Trek. Which may be found online or to which I could give a link. Here, I'll get it, for the sake of good sportsmanship. However, I think I found he's been studying people's conlangs since before I was. It's hard for me to access the extent of his scholarship on famous or non-famous conlangs, to celebrate his achievements or tell of them.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fbclid ... x4xlIv-_-I

But I think otherwise he just does the Tolkein conlangs, especially the two elf ones.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Bob wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:40 amAnd if this group is pro-conlanging, there really should be some welcome for me and the teams of people whom I unofficially represent, active and especially inactive.
I'm sure this kind of pomposity serves you well on all the conlanging forums that you grace.
Bob wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:40 amBut I think otherwise he just does the Tolkein conlangs, especially the two elf ones.
Yeah, you're a major scholar, aren't you?
Bob wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:40 amMy main focus is my scholarship, the closest to which are my blog posts.
May I suggest you focus on your scholarship & blog posts then?
Bob wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:40 amI have a BA in Linguistics from Michigan State University from 2009.
As someone who is currently attending Michigan State for graduate school, I would like to assure the ZBB that not everyone who attends MSU is quite this tedious.

Just..... wow.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Vardelm: Thank-you for your response. If you're in grad school now for Linguistics, I doubt we knew eachother when I was at Michigan State in 2007-2009. But if we did, it's good to hear from you again and some people just take a long time to get their PhDs.
elemtilas

Post by elemtilas »

Bob wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:40 am I and my various teams really appreciate your supportive posts.

I think I already said all this someplace recently on Zompist Bboard. Here's a shout out to all my people, though:
So...

"Teams" and "people"...

Still curious: what connexion do you have with this relatively obscure corner of a still rather obscure are of scholarship?

And also, have you been active at FrathWiki? (If not, you're not the first fan of Pakuni I've met!)
I am a major amateur scholar of the history of invented languages and of "famous invented languages". Also, I have deciphered many of those previously undeciphered. Few also seem to study as many of them as I. I'm also a conlanger, though usually once a month or less, these years. I'm mostly an amateur scholar of all hieroglyphic writing systems. I have a BA in Linguistics from Michigan State University from 2009.

My reception as an amateur scholar for conlangs is mostly based on my posts to Zompist Bboard and private messages with other conlangers on facebook over the years, which I should collect and publicize.

My reception as an amateur scholar of hieroglyphic writing systems is mostly based on my posts to the facebook group Historical Lingusitics and Etymology, as I have yet to try to publish anything and people don't post replies to my blog. It's mostly positive but I've learned a lot. Few do exactly what I do, so I don't really get exact feedback. One would have to read the literature, read what I write, then really get into it. My conlangs are like that also but I think I'm held in lesser esteem because of my minority approach.
Bit of an odd way to word things, but whatever.
( I say "deciphered" but what each scholar does is "a decipherment contribution" in my terminology. Sometimes a person can do their best and then later someone else totally outdoes it. )
Dunno what that means. "Decipherment contribution"?
And if this group is pro-conlanging, there really should be some welcome for me and the teams of people whom I unofficially represent, active and especially inactive. Decipherment is a work of scholarship, which requires effort but not a lifetime.
To be honest: I think, perhaps, you'd be more well received if you drop the overweeningly prideful picture you paint of yourself. You really don't earn yourself any points that way. Just food for thought!
I'm just working on Pakuni these weeks. I deciphered it back in 2014 and it needs attention and has recently seen a resurgence of public interest on the Land of the Lost major facebook group. I like to sometimes return to my deciphered famous conlangs and work with them a bit, to make use of all my previous labors and celebrate them. To many, the sort of work I did in deciphering these languages was very laborious.
Also, perhaps, your broad overestimation of the fame of this or that invented language. A more than just casual perusal of numerous top X conlang lists doesn't even mention this "famous" conlang of yours!
David Salo is a major famous conlang personality. He's a PhD student at the University of Wisconsin and the person who did all the Tolkein conlangs for the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies. He is a co-founder of the facebook group Constructed Languages and was one of perhaps 5 hosts of Britton Watkins' recent Conlanging documentary, with David Peterson of Game of Thrones, the Avatar and John Carter conlanger, and Marc Okrand of Klingon and my Atlantean. (There's also a new famous conlanger, the one who worked on Alpha and some other movies. Her conlangs have yet to be documented and deciphered and presented online.) ]
Never heard of Salo. "Major famous conlang personality" --- I think not. Some interesting contributions, sure. Mostly of a linguistics persuasion, it appears, rather than a language invention perspective.
--insert pithy saying here--