Venting thread

Topics that can go away
hwhatting

Re: Venting thread

Post by hwhatting »

alice wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:57 am Dammit, looks like my anxiety might be back. Spend much of the small hours this morning hanging around outside waiting for the paramedics.
I hope you're getting better!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:10 am
alice wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:57 am Dammit, looks like my anxiety might be back. Spend much of the small hours this morning hanging around outside waiting for the paramedics.
I hope you're getting better!
So am I!
alice

Post by alice »

Thanks, people. I am a little better today, and do at least have an appointment tomorrow to discuss dealing with it. It's no fun when your body keeps saying "I want to sleep!!!" and your stomach and brain declare "Au contraite, mom corps, you are facing an immediate threat which you cannot sense in any way but which you must none the less deal with", while your gut keeps trying to get rid of something which isn't there.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I'm happy to hear that you're feeling better, in any case.
FlamyobatRudki

Post by FlamyobatRudki »

Burned out to point not wanting to learn.
and reality is too sad for me.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

FlamyobatRudki wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:22 am Burned out to point not wanting to learn.
and reality is too sad for me.
I hope you too will get better!
FlamyobatRudki

Post by FlamyobatRudki »

Last edited by FlamyobatRudki on Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlamyobatRudki

Post by FlamyobatRudki »

BLASTING BARNEY THE DINOSAUR SONG REPEAT ON HOURS SOUNDS LIKE PARADISE ON EARTH TO ME. here It is hell! they use big boy words all the time.
FlamyobatRudki

Post by FlamyobatRudki »

I am so tired!!!!!!!!!
I'm just going to get drunk.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

"Don't bottle up your feelings! If you have a problem with someone, let them know!"

*does so in as respectful a manner as I can*

"YOU ASSHOLE!"

I can't win.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Dramatis Personae
  • me – me
  • FV – former vocalist
  • LG – lead guitarist
  • KB – keyboardist
  • PV – prospective vocalist
FV was one of the founding members of the band, but he left due to life circumstances. Which was fine—quite honestly the only one of us who really liked him was LG. He was whiny and controlling, shit on everything the guys wrote except one song, and wanted to crank out music like sausage instead of taking time to get it right. We were afraid to speak up around him if our opinions differed from his, and everything had to be about him in some way. (Also, he called using marijuana "to boof", which pissed me off to no end. "Boof" this, "boof" that. A minor point, admittedly.)

The biggest issue was that we were set to move into his garage and had been for a few weeks. We had planned this out. I messaged him the night before to confirm things, when he drops the bomb that we could no longer move into the garage because he was leaving his current house and moving in with his fiancé's parents. He knew about this for a while and didn't tell us—I had to message him to find this out, the night before no less. That really pissed me off, but somehow I'm the bad guy for feeling put off by this. I'm aware it's a bad thing to lose one's home but he really could've been more transparent, and something like this is something I shouldn't have to take the initiative to find out.

One Sunday morning a few weeks later, he messaged the band and said something along the lines of "I have something to say, but I don't know whether I'm going to say it now or save it for practice." Then he goes "Meh, I feel like typing it out now" and proceeds to write an absolute doorstopper of a post about the band's direction. He said we had to "upgrade to a two-burner unit" and that the album we were originally working on, which I had formed the band specifically to create, "would take two years to write and I want it to be absolutely perfect". The message was like 200 lines long. At the end his rant he said something to the effect of "Please read what I wrote. This is what we do, we're a band, we discuss things as a band". Like WTF? The next week he was gone.

So a couple weeks ago, he hits us up, saying that his "life has calmed down tremendously" and that he had time to be in a band again, so why not ask us? I had no desire to work with him again. Luckily, we had by this time been in talks with PV for him to fill the spot, so I was able to point to that as a reason for not having him back in the band. That was that.

Few weeks later, it's the other day. LG and FV are best buds, and they were talking about how FV couldn't find an established band to join and wanted to start his own. Somehow, LG suggested to him—unbeknownst to me—that he rent our practice space from us. So FV comes into the old band chat asking if he can rent the space from us. LG didn't clear this with anybody in the band (it's my name and LG's on the lease), and like I said, I had no desire to work with FV again. I nevertheless wanted to let him down gently, so I told him that the lease likely forbade subletting, but that I would ask the manager of the studio space regardless. I did this and the manager directed me to tell him no, which I did. Then he tried to join the band again. "What progress have you guys made with a vocalist?" he asked. "I'm just curious." I told him about our prospect, with whom we were (and are) still hashing things out. "You guys do you. I've shown what I can bring to the table." Just curious my ass.

The situation kept eating away at me like tooth decay, and I finally decided to let FV know that I felt disrespected by his query (again, at this point I had no knowledge of LG's conversation with FV) and that opening up the space to unverified third parties was a risk that I was not prepared to take.

FV came out swinging, mentioning a phantom mic cable that had gone missing ("your other band prob took it") and saying that, when he left the band, he had prepared a "long list" of things I said or did that pissed him off. He also called the band a trainwreck and me a "nobody"—the former is false, the latter is true but irrelevant (why rejoin a trainwreck?). He said that we "had nothing to offer him as a vocalist"—kind of hard to do that when the vocalist shits on everything the band writes (we had exactly one song to which he did not object)! The entitlement just radiated off of him as well—he said he "scratched his head" as to why we didn't accept him back when we were already talking to another vocalist, like the spot was his by divine right and like his cargo van was some mystic boon from above. I told him that a) I would inquire as to the whereabouts of his mic cable, which he had never before mentioned, not even when he came by my place to retrieve his gear after his departure, and b) that it is best if we did not work together professionally as our personalities do not mix well. (His response to that was "I can mix with anyone. It's you, I might add, who cannot.")

Ultimately he creeped on my profile to find PV's. PV had taken a picture of us at practice with me, LG, and KB in it. "I see [LG] has brought [KB] into the fold", he said, accusing KB of racism and fascism. "Good luck keeping up with both their lies," he capped it off with. LG is his best friend and he called him a fascism-enabling liar. I blocked him after that, and his fiancée too for good measure so he couldn't use her profile to get at us.

But somehow, I am the asshole in this situation.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Sounds to me like that FV guy really is an asshole and you did the right thing!
I hope he stops bothering your band and things can calm down a bit.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ares Land wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:21 pm Sounds to me like that FV guy really is an asshole and you did the right thing!
I hope he stops bothering your band and things can calm down a bit.
Seconded. This whole thing is one major ugh...
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

People with big egos can never accept they're the problem. You could be a saint and he'd still see you as a devil if you didn't bend over backward to placate him.
A cat and a linguist.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

linguistcat wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:00 pm People with big egos can never accept they're the problem. You could be a saint and he'd still see you as a devil if you didn't bend over backward to placate him.
Reminds of all the annoying noises going around these driven in fast city suvs. The worst is the uni president team who insist that djs in the middle of the uni in the middle of the day during the exam I am supervising is totally necessary because supposedly it helps rather than hinders mental health. And I can't complain too loudly too often because I'm in a yearly contract hopefully renewed soon.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Ps some students these days seem to lack knowledge that I would have thought more basic e.g. Using a dictionary. Finding the library next door. Which elections in the country, which main positions exist, what their names are. And no Miss France does not count. And Apple did not branch out from phones to computers, even though you chose that as your presentation topic. Thankfully it's mostly the individual stream students. Individual stream is a newspeak for lumping all the least competent students together in bigger tutorial groups and giving less classes in the hope they will actually learn anything outwith classtime.

And, since we're talking about privilege over in the us politics thread, it is unfair that I may teach a language I know since childhood but they may not.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

What kind of garbage human do you have to be to defend the GOP policy of pulling asylum seekers off the street, putting them on planes and buses, and sending them to Blue States with no forewarning or coordination in order to "stick it to the libs"? I just can't understand these people.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:22 am What kind of garbage human do you have to be to defend the GOP policy of pulling asylum seekers off the street, putting them on planes and buses, and sending them to Blue States with no forewarning or coordination in order to "stick it to the libs"? I just can't understand these people.
That's because these people are reactionary scumbags, no more, no less.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Got a root canal done today - and not because I wasn't brushing my teeth enough or anything, but because of a hairline fracture in a tooth with an old filling - the kind that had mercury in them - which just decided to start hurting over the weekend.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I am sick again…and the walk-in clinic TURNED ME AWAY because, despite them still being open, THEY HAD SEEN ALL THE PATIENTS THEY WERE ALLOTTED TODAY.

The worst of COVID is over. There’s no bed shortage or anything. There’s no excuse for this. I’m not going to an ER because I’m in debt enough as it is.