Random Thread

Topics that can go away
keenir

Re: Random Thread

Post by keenir »

foxcatdog wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:37 pm I previously stated i'm optimistic about other european cuisines but i have so far been given no contradictory evidence that german cuisine isn't UK tier other than schnitzel.
for a long time, that'd've been taken as a good thing. :)
Even then i'm concerned the schnitzel was overtly anglofied like every piece of chinese food i've eaten outside of singapore
umm...not sure whether to point out Singapore is part of the Anglosphere as well as the Sinosphere...or to ask if you think its a bad thing for something to be treated like non-Singaporean Chinese food.
so i'm going to a german restaurant some time in the near future.

I also don't like sausages because i detest minced meat (but not fish).

Also the sauerkrat i had was terrible due to its lack of sourness.
I do hope thats not the evidence for it being "overtly anglofied".

(hang on...I've heard of overly...but wouldn't overtly mean that it was deliberately made to appeal to Anglophone taste buds?)
keenir

Post by keenir »

foxcatdog wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:15 am Notes about the food i had on my recent holiday.
based on the recent posts...I'm going to guess you had fun?
In Singapore i had more authentic chinese cuisine which tasted a lot like the chinese food you can get in australia.
*using a Mel Brooks voice* "Its good to be an affluent country." /Mel Brooks voice.
(sorry)
In Vietnam the best meals i had were a rather Authentic Italian restaurant (but note most of their offering was not anything like i could get at and Italian pizza place here)
I cannot think of why that could possibly be.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Margherita pizza and pasta carbonara (with dessert i can't remember which btw)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:08 pm
Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:12 pm Just had a great dinner consisting of sausages, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes. And now I feel like such a stereotype.
I see nothing to be ashamed in that - that sounds like a good meal!
Seconded. Babcia’s kielbasa and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes is such a good memory for me.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:08 pm
I see nothing to be ashamed in that - that sounds like a good meal!
More embarrassed than ashamed.
mocha

Post by mocha »

foxcatdog wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:54 pm People who have hadn't played typing games as a kid how well can you type? I can type without looking because i know instinctively the place of keys and i type fairly quickly much faster then i write.
I had a typing class in 6th grade, but I played flash games whenever the teacher wasn't looking, so I feel like it's safe to say I didn't actually learn anything there. I eventually memorized the layout of QWERTY keyboards subconsciously, and can type without looking at ~60 WPM, although I would struggle to tell you where each key was if you asked.

Also, it takes me a few days to get used to a new keyboard if the size of the keys is even slightly different... :lol:
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

foxcatdog wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:54 pm People who have hadn't played typing games as a kid how well can you type? I can type without looking because i know instinctively the place of keys and i type fairly quickly much faster then i write.
Not well at all. I type with one and a half fingers - one for typing, one for pressing shift when needed - and I think most of the time, I look.
alice

Post by alice »

Raphael wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:56 am
Not well at all. I type with one and a half fingers - one for typing, one for pressing shift when needed - and I think most of the time, I look.
Fingers? We used to type with our noses, holding down t'shift key with our tongues!!!
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

alice wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:07 am
Fingers? We used to type with our noses, holding down t'shift key with our tongues!!!
Given the state of my keyboard, I think I don't really want to do that.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I touch type, and while I took a typing class in grade school I am largely self-taught. I remember as hunting-and-pecking as a kid, but at some point (I do not remember when) I came to touch type, but not the way they teach you in school (e.g. I will move my hands around the keyboard rather than constantly reaching from the home row as you supposedly are supposed to).
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
chris_notts

Post by chris_notts »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:47 am I touch type, and while I took a typing class in grade school I am largely self-taught. I remember as hunting-and-pecking as a kid, but at some point (I do not remember when) I came to touch type, but not the way they teach you in school (e.g. I will move my hands around the keyboard rather than constantly reaching from the home row as you supposedly are supposed to).
I used about 2 fingers on each hand, which I'm sure is not how you're supposed to it. It's just the system I developed from being given a keyboard and wanting to type fast.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

I also use ~2 fingers on each hand. But I type very fast (people have previously remarked on my typing speed, although I can’t give an exact number just right now) and without looking at the keyboard, so I guess it qualifies as ‘touch typing’ even if it’s not the ‘recommended’ way to do things. (And in fact I have some issues around finger strength, so the ‘recommended’ method is actually very difficult for me to use.)

However, I did do a typing game in school, so this doesn’t really answer the original question.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

I remember doing some typing games in school, but very informally, so my teaching myself typing was actually self-taught. The funny thing is that my brother and I* type quite differently: I type with all fingers, so it's close to touch-typing, though my typing speed is actually pretty slow (maybe 30-40 WPM, max?), so I'm actually faster when writing by longhand than when I type. (Though I got strange comments when I worked in France about typing quite quickly, especially compared to the teachers I worked with!)

My brother, on the other hand, hunts-and-pecks, though semi-quickly, so I think ultimately our typing speeds aren't so different, with me being a bit faster.

More: show
*I mention this because I'm actually an identical twin, and it's actually quite interesting how, despite taking the same courses up until we started uni, a lot of our capacities for things and stuff are quite different. Another big difference is with languages: I speak French decently and German maybe passably (and I'm slowly learning Dutch), but him... he didn't seem to have as much of a knack or interest for French as I did, so he stopped it when we went off to uni.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

This reminds me, I forgot to ask: what exactly are "typing games"?
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:48 am This reminds me, I forgot to ask: what exactly are "typing games"?
Games where you input certain letter keys as the goal. Basically any game is a typing game with a mouse but these lack abstraction. You press Q+U+E+E+N because that is what the game tells you to do and not because that unlocks a combo.
Last edited by foxcatdog on Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

foxcatdog wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:51 am
Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:48 am This reminds me, I forgot to ask: what exactly are "typing games"?
Games where you input certain letter keys as the goal. Basically any game is a typing game with a mouse but these lack abstraction.
Ah, thank you!
Torco

Post by Torco »

i do about 95 wpm in english, i don't think i'm must faster in spanish. oddly enough i was never taught to type that I remember, and still got to the type of typing where you don't look at the keyboard at all. but my technique is very different from what's taught in typography classes: someone who used to be in this board and had formal typing education once remarked that, even though we type at about the same speed, the techniques were really realy different, including whether or not we used the thumb for pushing space, and the fact that my pinkies have no role in my typing other than pressing the backspace, as well as something about the angle of the hands (I'm like this / \ but apparently he was taught to type like this | | , which i can't imagine is very comfortable at all)
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Apparently in german and dutch fish dishes you can actually "taste the fish in them" unlike sushi. I'm scared to know what that means.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

A general thought I had a while ago:

People in politics, domestic and global, often get accused of being other people's puppets.

But I think in life in general, it's fairly rare for anyone to be anyone's *complete* puppet. Someone might be very dependent on you, might owe you a lot, might be generally in line with you - but the connection might still break if you drive them too far, or say or do the wrong thing.

Thoughts?
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:42 am A general thought I had a while ago:

People in politics, domestic and global, often get accused of being other people's puppets.

But I think in life in general, it's fairly rare for anyone to be anyone's *complete* puppet. Someone might be very dependent on you, might owe you a lot, might be generally in line with you - but the connection might still break if you drive them too far, or say or do the wrong thing.

Thoughts?
No, politicians have access to more powerful levers than we ordinary folks do :)

To take an exemple from recent news... A politician may owe millions (or more) in campaign money to a Russian bank. Or Putin may have some pretty bad kompromat on them.
The French Communist party defended the USSR no matter what, sometimes taking it to absurd levels. This cost them a lot of votes.. .but they had little choice; most of their funding came from the Soviets.

Less dramatically, some politicians in the West were pretty clearly Russian puppets. Most of them took their distances -- everyone has a breaking point -- after the invasion of Ukraine; but they're still doing an uneasy little dance -- they owe the Russian quite a bit of money.

In real life, well, if we owe a huge sum of money, it's a mortgage and the bank doesn't really care what you do; and you can assume nobody has high-definition videos of you cheating on your wife with call girls.