Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: Random Thread

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:08 pm
To take an exemple from recent news... A politician may owe millions (or more) in campaign money to a Russian bank. Or Putin may have some pretty bad kompromat on them.
The French Communist party defended the USSR no matter what, sometimes taking it to absurd levels. This cost them a lot of votes.. .but they had little choice; most of their funding came from the Soviets.

Less dramatically, some politicians in the West were pretty clearly Russian puppets. Most of them took their distances -- everyone has a breaking point -- after the invasion of Ukraine; but they're still doing an uneasy little dance -- they owe the Russian quite a bit of money.
Interesting - I usually assume that Putin apologists are motivated by simple-minded "I must support everyone who's at odds with the people I hate"-psychology.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I'm pretty sure in Europe (at least) the relationship is primarily a monetary one. Most banks don't want to fund a far-right party; but Russian banks will. Rationalization is I think post-facto -- they figured out some nice things to say about Putin after they got the funding.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

The existence of Romania implies the existence of Romelancholy, or at least Rodepression.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I see what you did there.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

That's Moldova.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:36 pm That's Moldova.
I'm not sure if it's edgy goth, or just bad conlanging, to start your country's name with "mold".
Creyeditor

Post by Creyeditor »

Moldania, Moldonesia, Moldia, Moldistan, Moldiland, Moldenbourg, Moldina, Moldmark, Moldian Guinea, Moldesia, St. Molda, Moldaco, et, etc...
alice

Post by alice »

What's wrong with "Mold"? If it was "Mould", I would understand. It's not that American upsilonophobia again, is it?
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Pretending not to understand GA vowel mergers is like being that teacher who pretends to not understand the equivalence between "cant I go to the bathroom" and "may I go to the bathroom."
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

The KOOLT (pronounced ku::lt) is a hillarious name for a cult. Care to join anyone?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

foxcatdog wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:33 am The KOOLT (pronounced ku::lt) is a hillarious name for a cult. Care to join anyone?
The cult of Kool cigarettes?
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Man in Space wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:30 am The cult of Kool cigarettes?
Possibly. Though, relatedly, one of my brother's main bad guys in his various novels and stories is a group called the Coven of Unholy Nocturnal Terror.
More: show
Its head is based on someone I knew in real life who self-identified as a vampire, blood drinking and all.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

doctor shark wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:03 pm Though, relatedly, one of my brother's main bad guys in his various novels and stories is a group called the Coven of Unholy Nocturnal Terror.
Self-published? Unpublished? Traditionally published?
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Raphael wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:06 pm
doctor shark wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:03 pm Though, relatedly, one of my brother's main bad guys in his various novels and stories is a group called the Coven of Unholy Nocturnal Terror.
Self-published? Unpublished? Traditionally published?
One of them is self-published, but he's trying to get another work more traditionally published.
aka vampireshark
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

You can learn more about that book here.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Moose-tache wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:22 pm You can learn more about that book here.
Indeed, I did offer it to Moose-tache to rip to shreds many moons ago and hopefully didn't induce lasting psychic and emotional trauma in the process. (Most of my writing anymore is academic and induces different trauma, though mostly on the side of the writers and not the readers: seriously, this one article is proving to be a major pain.)
aka vampireshark
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Moose-tache wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:22 pm You can learn more about that book here.
I feel like authors should be happy to appear on your blog, because: cartoons! I mean, look, you've drawn Obliterat for him. What other reviewer is going to do that?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Having some book I'd produced discussed by a sentient hyperbola would be very entertaining. I think anything I write would just bore this specific one, though.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

I've got 60 to 80 more pages of psychic awakening to write and i think it would be boring to anyone who likes action but i don't think you read books for action.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I read them for all sorts of things.