New toy: phono

Conworlds and conlangs
zompist
Site Admin

New toy: phono

Post by zompist »

I created another web toy: a phonology builder.

You can use it to create categories for gen or SCA2; it will also output HTML tables or ZZB BBCode tables.
Ryan of Tinellb

Re: New toy: phono

Post by Ryan of Tinellb »

I had to zoom out to get the table to make sense — the rows get broken up into multiples. Which is fine, I realise not everyone is plugging their computer into a TV screen, and using it from the couch :).

More seriously, in the default setting, you have a typo in the first row. I'm pretty sure they're not labials (which the first column is, they look like plosives.
High Lulani and its descendants at Tinellb.com.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Ryan of Tinellb wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:40 amMore seriously, in the default setting, you have a typo in the first row. I'm pretty sure they're not labials (which the first column is, they look like plosives.
Thanks, should be fixed.
masako

Post by masako »

It's awesome.

But you've given me yet another thing to procrastinate with...
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Testing....
More: show
Consonants
LabialsDentalsRetroflexPalatalsVelarsUvularGlottal
Plosivesb d g ʔ
Fricativesf v s z ʃ ʒ x ɣ h
Affricatesʣ
Nasalsm n ŋ
Approximantsl r ʀ
Semivowelsj
Vowels
FrontCentralBack
Highi y ʉ u
Closeo
Openɛ
Lowæ ɑ
Very, very cool!

1 suggestion: what about an additional row for clicks? I realize we can change the row names, but 1 of my conlangs would take all of the currently available rows + 1 for clicks as well.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
TurkeySloth

Post by TurkeySloth »

Vardelm wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:12 am Testing....
More: show
Consonants
LabialsDentalsRetroflexPalatalsVelarsUvularGlottal
Plosivesb d g ʔ
Fricativesf v s z ʃ ʒ x ɣ h
Affricatesʣ
Nasalsm n ŋ
Approximantsl r ʀ
Semivowelsj
Vowels
FrontCentralBack
Highi y ʉ u
Closeo
Openɛ
Lowæ ɑ
Very, very cool!

1 suggestion: what about an additional row for clicks? I realize we can change the row names, but 1 of my conlangs would take all of the currently available rows + 1 for clicks as well.
I believe a whole non-pulmonics table would be a better idea than just clicks.
f/k/a yangfiretiger121
Alien conlangs
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

yangfiretiger121 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:59 amI believe a whole non-pulmonics table would be a better idea than just clicks
Even better!
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Ryan of Tinellb

Post by Ryan of Tinellb »

Vardelm wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:12 am What about an additional row for clicks? I realize we can change the row names, but 1 of my conlangs would take all of the currently available rows + 1 for clicks as well.
I learned javascript when I needed to adapt the sca to my own needs. You could do the same with this. Alternatively, follow zompist's suggestion in the how-to, and simply do the rows separately.
High Lulani and its descendants at Tinellb.com.
TurkeySloth

Post by TurkeySloth »

You may want to redo the coronals so that all post-alveolars are in one column as you have [ʃ ʒ š ž] with the dentals and alveolars, which may confuse some. Yes, the IPA separates post-alveolars and retroflexes, but they're all, technically, post-alveolars.
f/k/a yangfiretiger121
Alien conlangs
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

I just tried it out. Very good because I had no idea how to make tables and now I do ... or at least some idea. Nice work!

It very nicely ignored the extra empty row in the vowel chart, but it didn't ignore the extra empty column in the consonant chart. (Yes, I know I could manually go through and delete the empty cells.) Also, separating all the characters within each cell was pretty unexpected ... the ejective symbol is separated, affricates have been awkwardly ripped apart and brackets have been pulled out. I wanted to include allophones in brackets just to see what it looked like. Can you maybe turn off the adding spaces? I.e. if we have /p/ and /b/, we should write "p b" there and not "pb". Would that also work?

Consonants
BilabialLabiodentalAlveolarPalatalVelarGlottal
Nasalm n ( ɲ ) ŋ
Plosiveb t ( t ͡ s ~ t ͡ ɕ ) k ʔ
Ejectivet ʼ ( t ͡ s ʼ ) k ʼ
Fricativev s z ʃ ʒ h
Tapɾ ( d ͡ z ~ d ͡ ʑ )
Laterall
Vowels
FrontCentralBack
Highi u
Mide o
Lowa
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

That's a good idea, I'll probably add a checkbox.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Checkbox added.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Sorry for the newbie question, but why does the consonant grid have different labels than the ones used in the LCK? The LCK has the levels of obstruction as labial, labiodental, dental, alveolar, palato-alveolar, palatal, velar, uvular, and glottal, while phono has them as labial, dental, retroflex, palatal, velar, uvular, and glottal. The LCK has the degrees of closure as plosives, fricatives, affricates, and approximants, while phono has them as plosives, fricatives, affricates, nasals, liquid, and semivowels.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

For the points of articulation, it's because I didn't want to create loads of extra columns, when languages almost always use just a subset.

As for "semivowels", it's just habit. :)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

zompist wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:58 pm For the points of articulation, it's because I didn't want to create loads of extra columns, when languages almost always use just a subset.

As for "semivowels", it's just habit. :)
Ah, thank you!
gestaltist

Post by gestaltist »

I think there's a bug in your S/Z categories: when you take the default set, voiceless stops pattern with voiced fricatives/affricates, and vice versa.