Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: Random Thread

Post by Raphael »

I'm neither a teacher nor an education expert, but I've wondered for a while if one of the main challenges in teaching might be that, the more you know about a topic, the more difficult it becomes for you to understand the perspective of people who don't know much about that topic.

Now I wonder, are actual education experts doing research into that kind of thing?
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Yes. This is a huge issue and is the subject of a lot of research.

Some of the most public-facing research on this topic is in legal education, because law schools love to hire celebrity lawyers without asking them if they've ever led a classroom before.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

That's OK, you can just fire the teachers and use ChatGPT instead.

(Apparently some techbro is suggesting just that. It's not the AIs that will kill us, it's the techbrocracy built on AI hype.)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

zompist wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:48 pmtechbrocracy
stealing this
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

zompist wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:48 pm It's not the AIs that will kill us, it's the techbrocracy built on AI hype.
Seconded. I wasn't surprised by the latest developments in AI, but I was surprised by how eagerly people embraced it, going as far as firing people to replace them with AI tools.

"A.I. turns this single bullet point into a long email I can pretend I wrote."
"A.I. makes a single bullet point out of this long email I can pretend I read."
Source: https://marketoonist.com/2023/03/ai-wri ... -read.html

"The good news is we're getting lots of engagement on our A.I. generated content."
"Amazing! What's the bad news?"
"It looks like most of that engagement is coming from A.I. generated traffic."
Source: https://marketoonist.com/2022/11/by-bots-for-bots.html
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

If a book's cover shows a photo or drawing of something not really connected to what the book is about, would you see that as false advertising, or as cheating, or as something like that? For instance, if a book's cover shows a photo or drawing of trees, but the book is not actually about trees, or even about Nature in a more general sense, would you see that as a form of cheating?
keenir

Post by keenir »

Raphael wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:33 amIf a book's cover shows a photo or drawing of something not really connected to what the book is about, would you see that as false advertising, or as cheating, or as something like that? For instance, if a book's cover shows a photo or drawing of trees, but the book is not actually about trees, or even about Nature in a more general sense, would you see that as a form of cheating?
I'd see it as confusing, certainly.
Is it a book about the author's travels or anti-stress advice? If either of those, the cover may link the woodlands the author visits in several places; or the author may suggest the reader spend time in the depths of a forest to relax.

Or maybe the trees are stand-ins for the people of a community, and the trees are there to represent how anyone can be a part of the community.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

I have seen books with misleading titles, too. One example was a book titled Wege zur Nachhaltigkeit ('Roads to Sustainability'), but all it did was to rehearse the problems - there was nothing in the book about how sustainability can be achieved.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

WeepingElf wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:25 am One example was a book titled Wege zur Nachhaltigkeit ('Roads to Sustainability'), but all it did was to rehearse the problems - there was nothing in the book about how sustainability can be achieved.
Selbsterkenntnis ist der erste Schritt zur Besserung? ;-)
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:11 am
WeepingElf wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:25 am One example was a book titled Wege zur Nachhaltigkeit ('Roads to Sustainability'), but all it did was to rehearse the problems - there was nothing in the book about how sustainability can be achieved.
Of course. But the title promised more than just a statement of what was going wrong.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

WeepingElf wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:21 am
hwhatting wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:11 am
Of course. But the title promised more than just a statement of what was going wrong.
Yes. I was joking.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you for the feedback!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ryusenshi wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:02 am
"The good news is we're getting lots of engagement on our A.I. generated content."
"Amazing! What's the bad news?"
"It looks like most of that engagement is coming from A.I. generated traffic."
Source: https://marketoonist.com/2022/11/by-bots-for-bots.html
I just now noticed that that cartoon is from last November. That surprises me a bit - I had the impression that AI only became a much-talked-about thing early this year.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

zompist wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:48 pm That's OK, you can just fire the teachers and use ChatGPT instead.
The students who have tried this with me and my colleagues have generally been those who demostrate the least competence.
zompist wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:48 pm (Apparently some techbro is suggesting just that. It's not the AIs that will kill us, it's the techbrocracy built on AI hype.)
Sure.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Raphael wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:33 am If a book's cover shows a photo or drawing of something not really connected to what the book is about, would you see that as false advertising, or as cheating, or as something like that? For instance, if a book's cover shows a photo or drawing of trees, but the book is not actually about trees, or even about Nature in a more general sense, would you see that as a form of cheating?
I find unnecessarily confusing some books which are translated into French but without the title translated. Two of my favourite recent books, Deep Work by Cal Newport and The Good Life by Robert Waldinger and Marc Schulz are culprits though, so it doesn't prevent from buying the books and reading them.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Since we're partly talking about ChatGPT here now, I just discovered a blog post on that topic from about a month ago by David Schraub, which looks at it from an angle I hadn't thought of yet:

https://dsadevil.blogspot.com/2023/06/h ... riter.html

Basically, how will human become good or great writers in the future, if, in order to get there, people usually have to go through periods of being bad or mediocre writers yet - and during those periods, they might be completely unable to compete with ChatGPT?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Seroquel…It’s like Mjölnir. You can be in the worst fit of madness of your life and you take it for two or three days and it just straight-up no-sells it. It is terrifying how clear my head is now—but more terrifying yet that I was atomically, gibberingly, Katy-bar-the-door-and-call-the-ambulance INSANE going up to it.
keenir

Post by keenir »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:56 am Seroquel…It’s like Mjölnir. You can be in the worst fit of madness of your life and you take it for two or three days and it just straight-up no-sells it. It is terrifying how clear my head is now—but more terrifying yet that I was atomically, gibberingly, Katy-bar-the-door-and-call-the-ambulance INSANE going up to it.
I'm glad you feel better. (and my sympathies for the lead-up)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:56 am Seroquel…It’s like Mjölnir. You can be in the worst fit of madness of your life and you take it for two or three days and it just straight-up no-sells it. It is terrifying how clear my head is now—but more terrifying yet that I was atomically, gibberingly, Katy-bar-the-door-and-call-the-ambulance INSANE going up to it.
Glad to hear you're doing much better than before. And yes, psych meds that work are a godsend.
Last edited by Travis B. on Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:33 pmAnd yes, psych meds that work are a godsend.
I have very little patience for the people who are ideologically or philosophically opposed to them. If they don't want to use them, that's their choice, but asserting that it's somehow universally bad or wrong to take them? Your fucking philosophical musings are pretty weak tea compared to the raw experience of unmedicated depression.

Completely unrelated:

https://apnews.com/article/119-years-ov ... 8d35376fc9