Phrase evolution game

Conworlds and conlangs
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: Phrase evolution game

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

• Intervocalic voiced stops become fricatives;
  • Terminal voiced stops devoice and lose implosiveness, if present;
  • The exclamatory replaces the ordinary predicative (the practical result is present-tense verbs gain an affix that would be, given changes to date, -/iːr/);
  • Fricatives preceding stops fortify;
  • Umlaut: front vowels trigger fronting of preceding vowels;
  • Contrastive length is lost, and length becomes tied to high pitch in internal syllables; all monosyllables develop rising-falling pitch long vowels;
  • [u̯] > [β]
俺れ 現日 玉子ゆふ 食ゐろ。
いぐゐよれ ひよふぼ つをうしゆふ はぼゐろ。
Igyór hjóup týshy hevír.
[ì.ʝi̯óᵝːɾ̪ çóᵝːu̯p t̪ʰᶣýᵝː.ɕỳᵝ xè̞.βʲíːɾ̪]
1sg.NOMINATIVE today sphere.child(=egg).PLURAL.ACCUSATIVE eat.PREDICATIVE
"Today, I shall eat eggs."

昕か、庭鳷くゐゆ。
あそ゚か、くゐひやどっをくゐゆ。
Átka, kíhjaþóvo kjý.
[ɐ̞́ːtʰ.kʰɐ̞̀ | cʰíː.çɐ̞̀.ðóᵝː.βòᵝ cᶣŷː]
tomorrow garden.fowl(=chicken) also.ACCUSATIVE
"Tomorrow, chicken."
Otto Kretschmer

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

What about concentrating primarily on grammar and vocabulary in the next example?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

1. Simplify transcription: yᵝ → y (as [y] is usually considered compressed by default), remove syllable boundaries (as almost all are CV anyway)
  2. βʲ ʝ(i̯) → ɥ j
  3. oᵝ → ɯᵝ
  4. ɾ̪ → ∅ / Vː _
  5. Compression splitting: {ɯᵝ, y}ː → {ɯ, y} β / _ #
  6. Vowel quantity turns into quality in sequence of chain shifts:
    1. ɐ̞ː → ɑ
    2. iː → i, i → e, e̞ → ɛ
    3. yː → y, y → ø
    4. ɯᵝː → ɯᵝ, ɯᵝ~ɯ → œᵝ~œ (NB. [œ] is, like [y], considered compressed)
    5. ɯᵝːu̯ → u
  7. V → ∅ / _# (keeping tones)
  8. Prothetic {j, ɥ, ɰ, w} inserted before initial vowels
  9. Final stops → ∅; final {β ɕ} → {ɰ(ᵝ) j}
(+ add transcription of the hiragana & alter romanisation a bit)

俺れ 現日 玉子ゆふ 食ゐろ。
いぐゐよれ ひよふぼ つをうしゆふ はぼゐろ。
[IGUWIYORE HIYOHUBO TUWOUSHIHU HABOWIRO]
Iyór hjóu tŷh hevír.
[jèjœ́ɰᵝ çú t̪ʰᶣŷj xɛ̌ɥ]
1sg.NOMINATIVE today sphere.child(=egg).PLURAL.ACCUSATIVE eat.PREDICATIVE
"Today, I shall eat eggs."

昕か、庭鳷くゐゆ。
あそ゚か、くゐひやどっをくゐゆ。
[ASꞏOKA, KUWIHIYADOʾWOKUWIYU]
Ât, kíhjaþóvor kjýr.
[ɰɑ̂tʰ | cʰíçɐ̞̀ðɯ́βœ́ɰᵝ cᶣŷɰᵝ]
"Tomorrow, chicken."
Otto Kretschmer wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:58 pm What about concentrating primarily on grammar and vocabulary in the next example?
In general, I approve of this idea… though if we want to do this properly, I suspect we’d be restricted to Middle English.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Otto Kretschmer

Why Middle English? Modern English would do just fine. Or some conlang. This game is not restricted to a posteriori conlanging.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Otto Kretschmer wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:25 am Why Middle English? Modern English would do just fine. Or some conlang. This game is not restricted to a posteriori conlanging.
Yeah, Modern English could work too. A conlang would be even worse than a natlang, though, because most of the time only the creator is really familiar with the grammar and vocabulary of a conlang.

Otto Kretschmer

So, concentrate on grammar and vocabulary with fewer changes in phonetics this time (1 phonological change for 3-6 grammatical/vocabulary changes)
The North wind and the sun were disputing when a traveller came along, wrapped in a warm cloak.
[ðə ˈnɔɹθ ˌwɪnd ən ə ˈsʌn wɚ dɪsˈpjuɾɪŋ ˈwɪtʃ wəz ðə ˈstɹɑŋɡɚ, wɛn ə ˈtɹævlɚ ˌkem əˈlɑŋ ˈɹæpt ɪn ə ˈwɔɹm ˈklok.]

They argued that the one who first succeeded in making the traveler take his cloak off should be considered stronger than the other
[ðe əˈɡɹid ðət ðə ˈwʌn hu ˈfɚst səkˈsidəd ɪn ˈmekɪŋ ðə ˈtɹævlɚ ˈtek ɪz ˈklok ˌɑf ʃʊd bi kənˈsɪdɚd ˈstɹɑŋɡɚ ðən ðɪ ˈʌðɚ.]

Let's see how it turns out.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

bradrn wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:28 am Yeah, Modern English could work too. A conlang would be even worse than a natlang, though, because most of the time only the creator is really familiar with the grammar and vocabulary of a conlang.
Having one of mine used twice, it's very difficult keeping up with what the morphological changes ought to be. With your most recent ones, the definite forms should probably replace the indefinite ones, with definiteness (and possibly pluralisation) either being wiped out, or reformed from other morphemes. Let's actually try that, now that I say it:

玉子ゆふ would presumably be replaced by the reflex of Standard Ineshîmé 玉子やっを tōsha wo, which would be presumably [t̪ʰᶣŷj ɯᵝ], or if the particle ends up as a bound morpheme, [t̪ʰᶣŷᵝ.j yᵝ]

俺ろ 現日 玉子ゆ 食う
𛀁よろ ひよほ つゐうゆ へろ。
(YE-YO-RO HI-YO-HO TU-WI-U-YU HE-RO)
Ieiór hjóu tŷjy hew.
[jèjœ́ɰᵝ çú t̪ʰᶣŷᵝ̞.jyᵝ xɛ̌ɥ]
1sg.NOMINATIVE today sphere.child(=EGG).ACCUSATIVE eat.PREDICATIVE
"Today, I (shall) eat eggs."

昕、庭鳷 くゐゆろ。
わと、くゐひやどっをろ くゐゆろ。
(WA-TO, KU-WI-HI-YA-DO-(SEPARATOR)-WO-RO KU-WI-YU-RO)
Wât, kíhjaþóvor kjýr.
[ɰɑ̂tʰ | cʰíçɐ̞̀ðɯ́βœ́ɰᵝ cᶣŷɰᵝ]
"Tomorrow, chicken."

That's actually the only big thing, since I already replaced the predicative with the exclamatory.
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

Otto Kretschmer wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:35 am So, concentrate on grammar and vocabulary with fewer changes in phonetics this time (1 phonological change for 3-6 grammatical/vocabulary changes)
The North wind and the sun were disputing when a traveller came along, wrapped in a warm cloak.
[ðə ˈnɔɹθ ˌwɪnd ən ə ˈsʌn wɚ dɪsˈpjuɾɪŋ ˈwɪtʃ wəz ðə ˈstɹɑŋɡɚ, wɛn ə ˈtɹævlɚ ˌkem əˈlɑŋ ˈɹæpt ɪn ə ˈwɔɹm ˈklok.]

They argued that the one who first succeeded in making the traveler take his cloak off should be considered stronger than the other
[ðe əˈɡɹid ðət ðə ˈwʌn hu ˈfɚst səkˈsidəd ɪn ˈmekɪŋ ðə ˈtɹævlɚ ˈtek ɪz ˈklok ˌɑf ʃʊd bi kənˈsɪdɚd ˈstɹɑŋɡɚ ðən ðɪ ˈʌðɚ.]

Let's see how it turns out.
  • definiteness removed (is that the right word?), turning "a" into "the"
  • [θ] and [ð] stop
  • fixed text, adding "which was the stronger"
  • a few orthographic changes to make the spelling closer to the pronunciation
  • adjectives now follow nouns
de wind nort an de sun wer disputin wich waz de stronger, wen de traveler came along, rapt in de kloke warm..
[də ˌwɪnd ˈnɔɹt ən də ˈsʌn wɚ dɪsˈpjuɾɪŋ ˈwɪtʃ wəz də ˈstɹɑŋɡɚ, wɛn də ˈtɹævlɚ ˌkem əˈlɑŋ ˈɹæpt ɪn də ˈklok ˈwɔɹm.]

dey agreed dat de wun hoo ferst sukseeded in making de traveler take iz kloke of shoud bee konsiderd stronger dan de uder.
[de əˈɡɹid dət də ˈwʌn hu ˈfɚst səkˈsidəd ɪn ˈmekɪŋ ðə ˈtɹævlɚ ˈtek ɪz ˈklok ˌɑf ʃʊd bi kənˈsɪdɚd ˈstɹɑŋɡɚ dən dɪ ˈʌdɚ.]

(not many grammatical changes, but I'm new to them)
tɑ tɑ tɑ tɑ θiθɾ eɾloθ tɑ moew θerts olɑrk siθe
of of of of death abyss of moew kingdom sand witch-PLURAL
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
of apple-PLURAL magic cold
cold magic of apples
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

• Several vowel mergers:
    • The gun-gone merger — non-prerhotically, [ə ʌ ɑ] collapse into a single phone [ɐ];
    • The fur-far merger — prerhotically [ə ʌ ɑ ɜ] collapse into a single phone [ɑ];
    • The sat-set-sate merger — [æ e ɛ] collapse to a single phone [e̞]; [o] also shifts slightly to
    • The sit-seat merger — [ɪ i] collapse to a single phone [i];
    • The full-fool-foal merger — [ʊ u o] collapse to a single phone [o̞];
  • The was-were merger — medial and terminal [ɹ z] merge to [ɾ];
  • Vowels lengthen in stressed open monosyllables and in stressed open syllables if the following consonant is voiced; if the following consonant is voiceless, it instead doubles to close the preceding syllable;
  • Orthographic reforms to further match the pronunciation of the vowels, however "restoration" of historical spellings such as "th wh" also occurs.
Tha wind north and tha San war dispioring which war tha strangar, when tha trevlar kem alang, wrept in tha clok warm..
[dɐ ˌwind ˈnɔɾt ɐn dɐ ˈsɐn wɑɾ disˈpjo̞ː.ɾiŋ ˈwitʃ wɐɾ dɐ ˈstɹɐŋɡɑɾ, we̞n dɐ ˈtɹe̞v.lɑɾ ˌke̞m ɐˈlɐŋ ˈɹe̞pt in dɐ ˈklo̞k ˈwɔɾm.]

They agrid that tha wan who farst saccidad in mecking tha trevlar teck ir clok of shod bi cansidard strangar than thi ader.
[de̞ː ɐˈɡɹid dɐt dɐ ˈwɐn ho̞ ˈfɑɾst sɐkˈsidɐd in ˈme̞k.kiŋ ðɐ ˈtɹe̞vlɑɾ ˈte̞k iɾ ˈklok ˌɐf ʃo̞d bi kɐnˈsidɑɾd ˈstɹɐŋɡɑɾ dɐn di ˈɐː.dɑɾ.]
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:28 pm
  • Several vowel mergers:
    • The gun-gone merger — non-prerhotically, [ə ʌ ɑ] collapse into a single phone [ɐ];
    • The fur-far merger — prerhotically [ə ʌ ɑ ɜ] collapse into a single phone [ɑ];
    • The sat-set-sate merger — [æ e ɛ] collapse to a single phone [e̞]; [o] also shifts slightly to
    • The sit-seat merger — [ɪ i] collapse to a single phone [i];
    • The full-fool-foal merger — [ʊ u o] collapse to a single phone [o̞];
  • The was-were merger — medial and terminal [ɹ z] merge to [ɾ];
  • Vowels lengthen in stressed open monosyllables and in stressed open syllables if the following consonant is voiced; if the following consonant is voiceless, it instead doubles to close the preceding syllable;
  • Orthographic reforms to further match the pronunciation of the vowels, however "restoration" of historical spellings such as "th wh" also occurs.
Isn't this one supposed to be more grammar and lexicon changes than phonology ones?
Tha wind north and tha San war dispioring which war tha strangar, when tha trevlar kem alang, wrept in tha clok warm..
[dɐ ˌwind ˈnɔɾt ɐn dɐ ˈsɐn wɑɾ disˈpjo̞ː.ɾiŋ ˈwitʃ wɐɾ dɐ ˈstɹɐŋɡɑɾ, we̞n dɐ ˈtɹe̞v.lɑɾ ˌke̞m ɐˈlɐŋ ˈɹe̞pt in dɐ ˈklo̞k ˈwɔɾm.]

They agrid that tha wan who farst saccidad in mecking tha trevlar teck ir clok of shod bi cansidard strangar than thi ader.
[de̞ː ɐˈɡɹid dɐt dɐ ˈwɐn ho̞ ˈfɑɾst sɐkˈsidɐd in ˈme̞k.kiŋ ðɐ ˈtɹe̞vlɑɾ ˈte̞k iɾ ˈklok ˌɐf ʃo̞d bi kɐnˈsidɑɾd ˈstɹɐŋɡɑɾ dɐn di ˈɐː.dɑɾ.]
  • "and", "or", and "but" become suffixes
  • prepositions become prefixes
  • "tha" and "thi" become prefixes
thawind northnd thasan war dispioring which war thastrangar, when thatrevlar kem alang, wrept inthaclok warm.
[dɐˌwind ˈnɔɾ.tn dɐˈsɐn wɑɾ disˈpjo̞ː.ɾiŋ ˈwitʃ wɐɾ dɐˈstɹɐŋɡɑɾ, we̞n dɐˈtɹe̞v.lɑɾ ˌke̞m ɐˈlɐŋ ˈɹe̞pt indɐˈklo̞k ˈwɔɾm.]

they agrid that thawan who farst saccidad immecking thatrevlar teck ir clok of shod bi cansidard strangar than thāder.
[de̞ː ɐˈɡɹid dɐt dɐˈwɐn ho̞ ˈfɑɾst sɐkˈsidɐd imˈme̞k.kiŋ dɐˈtɹe̞vlɑɾ ˈte̞k iɾ ˈklok ˌɐf ʃo̞d bi kɐnˈsidɑɾd ˈstɹɐŋɡɑɾ dɐn ˈdɐːˑ.dɑɾ.]
tɑ tɑ tɑ tɑ θiθɾ eɾloθ tɑ moew θerts olɑrk siθe
of of of of death abyss of moew kingdom sand witch-PLURAL
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
of apple-PLURAL magic cold
cold magic of apples
Otto Kretschmer

What about limiting the number of changes to 2 per post? Easier to invent something.
Otto Kretschmer

ˈjɛstərˌdeɪ aɪ wʌz ˈvɛri ˈhʌŋgri. aɪ ˌdɪˈsaɪdɪd tu hæv mi:t wɪð binz fɔr ˈdɪnər. ˈæftərwərdz aɪ wʌz ˈvɛri ˈflæʧələnt.

Yesterday I was very hungry. I decided to have meat with beans for dinner. Afterwards I was very flatulent.
Otto Kretschmer

Bump
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

• Vowels become long before homorganic pairs and voiced consonants;
  • Loss of second elements of long falling diphthongs;
  • Resulting [aː ʌː] > merge [ɐː]; [æː] merges with [ɛː]; [ɪː] tenses to [iː], producing the din-dean merger;
  • Some structural words and unstressed conjugated forms of "be" exhibit reduction;
  • Loss of initial [w] in unstressed syllables;
  • A few minor orthographic reforms have finally succeeded, but much spelling remains conservative;
[ˈjɛːstərˌdi aɪ͜ jəz ˈvɛːri ˈhɐːŋgri. aɪ ˌdɪˈsɐːdɪd tu hɛːv mit͜ əθ biːnz fər ˈdiːnər. ˈæftərərdz aɪ͜ jəz ˈvɛːri ˈflɛːʧələnt.]
Yesterdy I was verry hungry. I decyded to hev meat with beans for deaner. Afterwards I was verry flettulent.
Otto Kretschmer

Bump
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Let’s try to get this restarted, shall we, with a Surgut (Eastern) Khanty text:

/piːtʲəŋkəliɣən‿oːpisɐɣən βɑɬɬəɣən || tʲi βɑɬtin əj mətɐ ɬɐːtnə piːtʲəŋkəli jɐːstəɬ | sɛr mɐː βorəp niːk mɛβəttɐɣə jɑŋqɬəm || pɐːnə tʲuː pɯːrnə | pɯːr qɑtəɬnə mən | ənəɬ sɒːrt βɛɬ || tʲuː suːrtəɬ | oːpəliɬnɐm jɐːstəɬ | nʉŋ nʲɐːrəq quːɬ βərɐ || potʃ quːɬəliɬ mɐːntem | qon quːɬəliɬ mɐːntem || mɐː ɯːɬ ɑɬintɬəm/

(Source: http://www.babel.gwi.uni-muenchen.de/in ... _navi=true)

I don’t have time to properly come up with any sound changes right now, so I’ll let someone else start this off. This text at least has a gloss, so we can do grammatical changes too. I recommend consulting Filchenko’s (2007, open-access) Grammar of Eastern Khanty for details on the vowel harmony and reduction, palatalisation, velar–uvular alternation, and so on.

StrangerCoug

Post by StrangerCoug »

1. Even though Eastern Khanty has a Cyrillic orthography, a Latin one is also established. It is mostly based on Czech, but also has some French, Albanian, and Navajo (mistaken as Polish) influence:
    Píťënkëligën
    little_bird-DU
    ópisagën
    older_sister-COLL-DU
    bâłłëgën.
    live-PRS-3DU
    Ťi
    so
    bâłtin
    live-PTCP.PRS-3DU
    ëj mëta łátnë
    some_day
    píťënkëli
    little_bird
    ]jástëł:
    say-PRS[3SG
    «Ser
    now
    1SG
    borëp
    trousers
    ník
    down_to_the_bank=
    mebëttagë
    lower-INF
    jânqłëm.»
    leave_to_do_sth-PRS-1SG
    Pánë
    and
    ťú
    that
    pýrnë,
    after
    pýr
    next
    qâtëłnë
    day-LOC
    ]mën,
    go+[PST.3SG
    ënëł
    big
    sárt
    pike
    beł.
    kill+[PST.3SG
    Ťú
    that
    súrtëł…
    pike-SG<3SG
    Ópëliłnam
    older_sister-DIM.MEL-SG<3SG-APP
    ]jástëł:
    say-PRS[3SG
    «Nyŋ
    2SG
    ňárëq
    raw
    qúł
    fish
    bëra!
    do-IMP.2SG
    Poč
    back
    qúłëlił
    fish-DIM.MEL-SG<3SG
    mántem,
    1SG.DAT
    qon
    belly
    qúłëlił
    fish-DIM.MEL-SG<3SG
    mántem.
    1SG.DAT
    1SG
    ýł âłintłëm.»
    lay_down-PRS-1SG

There lived a little bird and his older sister. Living so, at some point the little bird says: “Well, I’m leaving to lower my trousers down [into the river].” And so then, the next day he went; he caught a big pike. And so, his pike… He says to his little elder sister: “You, prepare the raw fish! The back of the fish for me, the belly of the fish for me. I’m lying down.”
  2. /ŋ/ assimilates to /ɴ/ before /q/.
  3. /nt.ɬ/ is reinterpreted as /n.t͡ɬ/.
  4. Consonants palatalize before a front vowel.
  5. /tʲ nʲ sʲ lʲ/ become /t͡ʃ ɲ ʃ ʎ/.
  6. The vowel qualities /ɛ ɐ/ shift to /e æ/.
/pʲiː.t͡ʃəŋ.kə.ʎi.ɣə.n‿oː.pʲi.sɐ.ɣən βɑɬ.ɬə.ɣən || t͡ʃi βɑɬ.t͡ʃin əj mə.tɐ ɬɐːt.nə pʲiː.t͡ʃəŋ.kə.ʎi jɐː.stəɬ | ʃɛr mɐː βo.rəp ɲiːk mʲɛ.βət.tɐ.ɣə jɑɴq.ɬəm || pɐː.nə t͡ʃuː pɯːr.nə | pɯːr qɑ.təɬ.nə mən | ə.nəɬ sɒːrt βʲɛɬ || t͡ʃuː suːr.təɬ | oː.pə.ʎiɬ.nɐm jɐː.stəɬ | nʉŋ ɲɐː.rəq quːɬ βə.rɐ || pot͡ʃ quː.ɬə.ʎiɬ mɐːn.t͡ʃem | qon quː.ɬə.ʎiɬ mɐːn.t͡ʃem || mɐː ɯːɬ ɑ.ɬin.t͡ɬəm/
StrangerCoug

Post by StrangerCoug »

Bump.
Karch

Post by Karch »

this game was fun, let's revive it

1. ɬ also palatalizes before front vowels
2. NT > ND > D, ɢ dɮ > ʁ ɮ > ɣ l
3. short æ raises to e
4. consonants geminate after open syllables with full (i.e. non-schwa) vowels, word-final open syllables without schwa lengthen, consonant clusters resyllabify (V.CC > VC.C)
5. t͡ʃ ʃ d͡ʒ > t͡ʂ ʂ d͡ʐ, pʲ bʲ mʲ βʲ > t͡ʃ d͡ʒ ɲ ʒ, ɬʲ > ʃ
6. Cə > C / V_CV, full vowels prioritized, CəRV sequences also contracted
7. long vowels shorten in syllables with coda clusters
Due to rule 4, ouble consonants are not distinguished in the orthography anymore after full vowels. The schwa is also now written as <e> given its frequency, with palatalizing short /e/ being written as <ä>. /ɒ:/, which was not previously distinguished from *ɐ: > æː, is now written as <å>.

Píťenkeligen
little_bird-DU
ópisagen
older_sister-COLL-DU
bâłegen.
live-PRS-3DU
Ťi
so
bâłtin
live-PTCP.PRS-3DU
ej meta łátne
some_day
píťenkeli
little_bird
jásteł:
say-PRS{3SG}
«Sär
now
1SG
borep
trousers
ník
down_to_the_bank=
mäbettage
lower-INF
jânqłem.»
leave_to_do_sth-PRS-1SG
Páne
and
ťú
that
pýrne,
after
pýr
next
qâtełne
day-LOC
men,
go+PST.3SG
eneł
big
sårt
pike
bäł.
kill+PST.3SG
Ťú
that
súrteł…
pike-SG<3SG
Ópeliłnam
older_sister-DIM.MEL-SG<3SG-APP
jásteł:
say-PRS{3SG}
«Nyŋ
2SG
ňáreq
raw
qúł
fish
bera!
do-IMP.2SG
Poč
back
qúłelił
fish-DIM.MEL-SG<3SG
mántäm,
1SG.DAT
qon
belly
qúłelił
fish-DIM.MEL-SG<3SG
mántäm.
1SG.DAT
1SG
ýł âłintłem.»
lay_down-PRS-1SG

[t͡ʃiː.t͡ʂəg.ʎiɣ.ɣə.n‿oː.t͡ʃi.seɣ.ɣən βɑɬ.ɬə.ɣən || t͡ʂi βɑɬ.t͡ʂin əj mə.teː ɬæːt.nə t͡ʃiː.t͡ʂəg.ʎiː jæːs.təɬ | ʂer mæː βor.rəp ɲiːk ɲeβ.βət.teɣ.ɣə jɑɣ.ɬəm || pæː.nə t͡ʂuː pɯːr.nə | pɯːr qɑ.təɬ.nə mən | ə.nəɬ sɒrt ʒeɬ || t͡ʂuː suːr.təɬ | oːp.ʎiɬ.nem jæːs.təɬ | nʉŋ ɲæː.rəq quːɬ βreː || pot͡ʂ quːɬ.ʎiɬ mæː.d͡ʐem | qon quːɬ.ʎiɬ mæː.d͡ʐem || mæː ɯːɬ ɑʃ.ʃil.ləm]
Zpaf kkuñb ñvneahttiñ wqxirftvn meof ñfañhsit.
Kkuñb ñvzxirf kvtañb kkuñf ñtmeaq sfañkqeanth.
Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

1. Affricates fricativise
2. g → ɣ / in coda; Vɣ → Vː / unless geminated
3. Vowel length becomes allophonic: long vowels shorten before a coda consonant, and short vowels lengthen in open syllables
4. Vowel system reorganisation: ʉ i e æ ɒ → i e ɛ a ɔ
5. ʃ → ʂ / near ʂ, regressively
6. əː → ɯː

[ʂeːʂɯːʎeɣːən‿oːʃeːsɛɣːən βɑɬːən || ʂeː βɑɬʂen əj mɯːtɛː ɬatnɯː ʂeːʂɯːʎeː jastəɬ | ʂɛr maː βorːəp ɲek ɲɛβːətːɛɣːɯː jɑːɬəm || paːnɯː ʂuː pɯrnɯː | pɯr qɑːtəɬnɯː mən | ɯːnəɬ sɔrt ʒɛɬ || ʂuː surtəɬ | opʎeɬnɛm jastəɬ | niŋ ɲaːrəq quɬ βrɛː || poʂ quɬʎeɬ maːʐɛm | qon quɬʎeɬ maːʐɛm || maː ɯɬ ɑʃːelːəm]

(I’ll add in the gloss/romanisation later when I get more time)