British Politics Guide

Topics that can go away
alice

Re: British Politics Guide

Post by alice »

Note that Scottish schools generally start their summer holidays at the end of June or the start of July. As John Swinney pointed out, Rishi didn't know, or care.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

alice wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:13 pm Note that Scottish schools generally start their summer holidays at the end of June or the start of July. As John Swinney pointed out, Rishi didn't know, or care.
The Conservatives are traditionally better at getting out the postal vote. Voter suppression is Tory policy nowadays.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

This man seems quite mad… I just saw the following headline:

Sunak vows to bring back national service for school leavers

Is he trying to sabotage the miniscule chance he has of re-election? I struggle to explain his actions in any other coherent way…
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:49 pm This man seems quite mad… I just saw the following headline:

Is he trying to sabotage the miniscule chance he has of re-election? I struggle to explain his actions in any other coherent way…
Is Sunak insane?
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:14 pm
bradrn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:49 pm This man seems quite mad… I just saw the following headline:

Is Sunak insane?
It does seem quite likely, doesn’t it? At some point you do have to admit it as a serious possibility.

(Not that I’m complaining, mind you. I like Starmer quite a lot, from what I’ve seen of him.)

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:21 pm

Is Sunak insane?
It does seem quite likely, doesn’t it? At some point you do have to admit it as a serious possibility.

(Not that I’m complaining, mind you. I like Starmer quite a lot, from what I’ve seen of him.)
The explanation I have read is that he has given up on winning the general election and instead is focused on winning the Tory leadership election by pandering to the far right.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:27 pm
bradrn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:21 pm

Is Sunak insane?

The explanation I have read is that he has given up on winning the general election and instead is focused on winning the Tory leadership election by pandering to the far right.
Hmm… OK, yeah, that sounds quite plausible too. (Very sadly.)

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

bradrn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:48 pm

I don't see even that working, though. Isn't the Tories' far-right wing still angry at Sunak for being the guy the somewhat-less-far-right wing forced on them when Johnson and Truss hadn't worked out? And that's before we even get to the fact that his name is "Rishi Sunak".
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Raphael wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:46 am
bradrn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:48 pm

I don't see even that working, though. Isn't the Tories' far-right wing still angry at Sunak for being the guy the somewhat-less-far-right wing forced on them when Johnson and Truss hadn't worked out? And that's before we even get to the fact that his name is "Rishi Sunak".
The present Conservative leadership seems fairly tolerant of such matters. Despite a recent run of prime ministers of Scottish origin - Blair, Brown, Cameron - Kemi Badenoch doesn't seem to have been hurt by the in your face Scottishness of her husband's name (Hamish Badenoch). Sunak seemed to produce a reasonable reading of the lesson from the King James Bible at the coronation. I doubt Priti Patel would improve her chances by using her married name (Sawyer).
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Wow. I didn't see that coming - Tory backbenchers were trying to un-call the election:

https://davidallengreen.com/2024/05/tho ... to-an-end/