Pronunciation of Standard English in America (1919)

Natural languages and linguistics
zompist
Site Admin

Re: Pronunciation of Standard English in America (1919)

Post by zompist »

Ketsuban wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 1:45 am
Emily wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:16 am
  • "in the popular dialects" [θ] and [ð] are sometimes completely replaced by [t] and [d]: think [tɪŋk], that [dæt] — i've heard [dæt] before, but never [tɪŋk], at least not from a u.s. native speaker
I think "popular" here might mean "AAVE". TH-stopping exists sporadically on this side of the pond too, most notably Irish English where the dental think [t̪ɪŋk] contrasts with the alveolar tink [tɪŋk].
Stops in place of [θð] were by no means limited to AAVE in the early 20th century— it was stereotypical lower class or big-city pronunciation. Immigration from Italy, Germany, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, and Latin America undoubtedly reinforced it.

(I'm sure it hasn't died out, either, but I expect it's receded.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zompist wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:35 pm
  • "in the popular dialects" [θ] and [ð] are sometimes completely replaced by [t] and [d]: think [tɪŋk], that [dæt] — i've heard [dæt] before, but never [tɪŋk], at least not from a u.s. native speaker
I think "popular" here might mean "AAVE". TH-stopping exists sporadically on this side of the pond too, most notably Irish English where the dental think [t̪ɪŋk] contrasts with the alveolar tink [tɪŋk].
Stops in place of [θð] were by no means limited to AAVE in the early 20th century— it was stereotypical lower class or big-city pronunciation. Immigration from Italy, Germany, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, and Latin America undoubtedly reinforced it.

To me the classically marked stopping is realizing /ð/ as an alveolar [d] ─ I generally-unconsciously realize initial /θ ð/ as dental stops except in careful speech, but realizing /ð/ as an alveolar stop is characteristically basilectal, and I tend to not do it in contexts such as work even when I do things like inflict horrible elisions on my Indian coworkers and expect them to somehow understand.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Sol717

Post by Sol717 »

Emily wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:16 am popular speech often has [fɪft], [sɪkst] for fifth, sixth
The forms of these ordinals with /t/ are historically more original (going back to Old English fīfta, siexta; the First Folio employs the spellings <fift, sixt>, though the spelling evidence indicates that the present analogical forms with <-th> were already present in Late Middle English.
Emily wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:16 am intrusive [θ] in height was already widespread in 1919
Again, this is a archaism with roots in OE (Anglian hēhþu, hēþ), though the prevalence of heighth in the modern dialects is probably due to analogy rather than failure of the ME change [xθ] > [xt]. However, widespread dialectal drouth likely directly continues drūgaþ more directly; in many dialects [ɣ] was lost before the syncope and devoicing that would allow it to participate in the aforementioned change could occur (in fact, I would consider the standard form with [t] somewhat puzzling, though its genuineness is vouched for by dialectal [drʊft]).
Space60

Post by Space60 »

zompist wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:35 pm

Th-stopping in AAVE occurs in words like "that" sounding like "dat", but not in words in "think" which doesn't typically sound like "tink" in AAVE. "Tink" for "think" is more a feature of Caribbean English varieties.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

Th-stopping was traditionally common in New York City. Combined with the traditional pronunciation of the NURSE vowel there, it led to "toity-toid street" for "33rd Street".