Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Ares Land

Re: Venting thread

Post by Ares Land »

malloc wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:50 pm Finally got some news today about my workplace getting hacked and apparently the hackers were some group known as the Black Basta syndicate. The workplace is making progress on fixing things, but the damage is extraordinary. Several weeks without operation will leave the factory unable to fulfill many orders and destroy its profit margins. Furthermore important trade secrets have been leaked that will leave the factory far less competitive. The future looks pretty bleak for my workplace and thus for me.
That's awful. I hope things work out.
Ahzoh wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:45 am My mum got laid off again. Seems cursed to always get fired over bs that's not her fault or can't fix.
Sorry to hear that too.
xxx

Post by xxx »

rotting bones wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:55 am My roommate says the right side of my face is inflamed. I should go to the hospital. But the last time I did, they lost my insurance information and sent me 4 bills that added up to over $4k for a single routine checkup in which they didn't find anything. I don't know if it's safe to have another medical visit while that fuckup is still being resolved.
Ahzoh wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:45 am My mum got laid off again. Seems cursed to always get fired over bs that's not her fault or can't fix.
with the dematerialization of the economy, we're living in great times...
Last edited by xxx on Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

My mum's unemployment situation is more dire than I thought.

She can only be in US if she has a job, due to the visa. She is unlikely to find a job in 2 months. Might not even be able to find a job in her industry because so many jobs have laid her off over the 10 or so years, which would lead people to thinking she's cursed/unemployable.

But, we may be homeless in 1 or 2 months.

It's dire enough we might have to give away our cat. Our cat we've had for 12 years, since she was a small kitten only a two or three months old.

Cat can't live with me either, I don't have a job or a home either.

Not sure any family can have her stay. Aunt has dogs. My grandma has a dog and a small apartment. My dad lives with a friend, who also has a dog. My grandpa is all the way in BC (and we are in Tennessee and rest of our family is in Ontario).

I can't stop thinking about my cat. That this may be my last months with her. I feel as I would feel if she were dying.

I live for that cat. One of a kind cat and one of the few things that brings me joy and comfort in this shitty world. And she loves us and doesn't know anyone but us.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Man, that's terrible. Not much I can do or say but I hope this all works out somehow.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:24 am Man, that's terrible. Not much I can do or say but I hope this all works out somehow.
Seconded.
xxx

Post by xxx »

I hope so too...
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

That really sucks.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Raphael wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:47 pm Our heating and hot water are gone, and our landlady and landlord are on vacation.
And again. This is becoming a pattern.
malloc

Post by malloc »

More disastrous news. They belatedly announced that the hack was supposed to remain confidential and I could get in serious trouble for blabbing about it. They should have given us NDAs or something immediately instead of waiting so long to order our silence.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

malloc wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:39 am More disastrous news. They belatedly announced that the hack was supposed to remain confidential and I could get in serious trouble for blabbing about it. They should have given us NDAs or something immediately instead of waiting so long to order our silence.
This isn't very clear: do you mean they talked to you in particular? Why? How would they know that you had talked about it and to whom?

Logically and legally you're correct: you can't obey an order retroactively.
xxx

Post by xxx »

malloc,
delete your comments, I've deleted my quotes...
by the way, you weren't very precise and I suppose you're here under a pseudonym...
malloc

Post by malloc »

zompist wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:41 pm
malloc wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:39 am More disastrous news. They belatedly announced that the hack was supposed to remain confidential and I could get in serious trouble for blabbing about it. They should have given us NDAs or something immediately instead of waiting so long to order our silence.
This isn't very clear: do you mean they talked to you in particular? Why? How would they know that you had talked about it and to whom?

Logically and legally you're correct: you can't obey an order retroactively.
Not me in particular. I got an email explaining the situation today and that said they wanted it kept quiet.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

malloc wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:05 pm Not me in particular. I got an email explaining the situation today and that said they wanted it kept quiet.
Then shrug and move on. They're not tracking you on message boards or phone calls or whatever.

Also consider getting a new job, these guys sound incompetent. Anyone can get hacked, but shutting down the factory and trying to hide the reason makes it look like they don't know what they're doing.
malloc

Post by malloc »

zompist wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:16 pmAlso consider getting a new job, these guys sound incompetent. Anyone can get hacked, but shutting down the factory and trying to hide the reason makes it look like they don't know what they're doing.
They shut down the factory in order to fix the hacked computers. They didn't hide the hack from the workers but they neglected to mention that they wanted us to keep it to ourselves until today. Considering my goal of leaving Missouri, finding another job has always been on my agenda. Although with the world hurtling toward catastrophe, I honestly have no idea regarding my future plans anymore. We are witnessing the apocalypse in real time, fascism taking over and global warming dooming billions. Planning for the future feels like buying a house while Godzilla is rampaging through your city.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

What zompist said; they're not going to track you (and certainly not here :))

Keeping fingers crossed; I hope you find a better job soon, and a place you like more than Missouri.
malloc

Post by malloc »

This post contains potentially disturbing content so I've hidden it:
More: show
Considering that the world is almost certainly about to fall to fascism before getting destroyed by global warming, I am seriously considering suicide. I say this not to shock people here or fish for sympathy but merely to clarify that none of my plans for the future make any sense anymore and I cannot bare to watch the horrors to come.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
masako

Post by masako »

Ares Land wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:47 pm ... and a place you like more than Missouri.
Given what's going on, that should be easy.

Good luck Malloc.
masako

Post by masako »

malloc wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:46 pm This post contains potentially disturbing content so I've hidden it:
Considering that the world is almost certainly about to fall to fascism before getting destroyed by global warming, I am seriously considering suicide. I say this not to shock people here or fish for sympathy but merely to clarify that none of my plans for the future make any sense anymore and I cannot bare to watch the horrors to come.
No. Don't.

There are 1000 times more reasons not than to do so.

Long-term solution to a short-term problem.
malloc

Post by malloc »

masako wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:49 pmNo. Don't.

There are 1000 times more reasons not than to do so.

Long-term solution to a short-term problem.
Believe me, I don't want this anymore than anyone else, but these are hardly temporary problems. Country after country is rushing headlong into the far right and it stands poised to overtake liberal democracy as the prevailing paradigm of politics across much of the world. Dislodging one fascist autocracy is incredibly hard. Reverting an entire paradigm shift that enjoys broad popular support is virtually impossible. Global warming is no less catastrophic, certainly not a temporary problem.

Right now I am sick to my stomach and shaking and have been on and off for the past month. Over the past few weeks I've used up the last of my anxiety pills and vicodin and they hardly even made a dent in the stress facing me. Meanwhile there are still numerous shoes waiting to drop.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
masako

Post by masako »

malloc wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:05 pm I don't want this anymore than anyone else
Then don't sit there...go get someone to be with you. Call a support line. 988 Crisis Lifeline