Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Ares Land

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Ares Land »

doctor shark wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:34 pm
Thanks! I'm especially proud of the fact that three of my M.Sc. thesis students are coauthors.
Congratulations!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

There were a lot of dishes to do today. And now they're all clean.
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

I’ve had a bit of a mad few weeks, but much of it lovely. A friend from primary school got married, which was great. At the wedding there was a family friend of hers, whom I had met a fair few times during childhood, a work-friend of her dad I think, who used to visit them from Japan. I was surprised that he remembered me and particularly that I liked foxes (as a teenager I was studying Japanese and had written a haiku about a little fox walking on melting ice, which I remember showing to him). It turned out he was shortly due to stay with another friend of his who happens to live in the same part of the country as me. Long story short he’s coming for dinner tonight and I’m attempting to tidy up and make okonomiyaki! Excited, if rather nervous!!
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

sasasha wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:40 am I’ve had a bit of a mad few weeks, but much of it lovely. A friend from primary school got married, which was great. At the wedding there was a family friend of hers, whom I had met a fair few times during childhood, a work-friend of her dad I think, who used to visit them from Japan. I was surprised that he remembered me and particularly that I liked foxes (as a teenager I was studying Japanese and had written a haiku about a little fox walking on melting ice, which I remember showing to him). It turned out he was shortly due to stay with another friend of his who happens to live in the same part of the country as me. Long story short he’s coming for dinner tonight and I’m attempting to tidy up and make okonomiyaki! Excited, if rather nervous!!
That's lovely indeed; I'm happy for you.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:11 am
sasasha wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:40 am I’ve had a bit of a mad few weeks, but much of it lovely. A friend from primary school got married, which was great. At the wedding there was a family friend of hers, whom I had met a fair few times during childhood, a work-friend of her dad I think, who used to visit them from Japan. I was surprised that he remembered me and particularly that I liked foxes (as a teenager I was studying Japanese and had written a haiku about a little fox walking on melting ice, which I remember showing to him). It turned out he was shortly due to stay with another friend of his who happens to live in the same part of the country as me. Long story short he’s coming for dinner tonight and I’m attempting to tidy up and make okonomiyaki! Excited, if rather nervous!!
That's lovely indeed; I'm happy for you.
Same.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I thought my ebook reader had died. But after letting it lie around for a while until its battery was almost empty, it came back to live. Sometimes, it's the small things.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Two doctor's appointments in one day, and both of them went generally well!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I must say that it makes me happy whenever people are trying out zeptoforth, even if they are sending me bug reports. Additionally, one of these people is working on a portable microcomputer complete with keyboard and screen that will run zeptoforth (they already have a breadboarded prototype working, but are considering changing the design from one using a Pico to run zeptoforth, an STM32F103 for controlling the screen, and an Atmega to interface with the keyboard to a dual-RP2040 design), and another person is trying out using zeptoforth as a self-hosting development environment, with code editing being provided by zeptoed (a text editor for files on FAT32 filesystems I wrote for zeptoforth).
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have implemented support for FAT32 filesystems in on-board flash (rather than just SDHC/SDXC cards) in zeptoforth and it was quite easy too. IMO this is a big win, as it will enable the user to store files on-board rather than being limited to either clumsy external SDHC/SDXC cards or also-limited Forth blocks. (To be exact, this is implemented on top of Forth blocks, which already have the useful property that they provide wear leveling, which is important when using FAT32 filesystems in flash.)
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

I have been invited to an interview at the library where I had applied for an apprenticeship. (Yes, it seems somewhat odd to apply for an apprenticeship in one's 50s. But I had to quit my old profession for health reasons, and the only alternatives would be cleaning rooms, delivering parcels, or the like.)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

WeepingElf wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:05 am I have been invited to an interview at the library where I had applied for an apprenticeship. (Yes, it seems somewhat odd to apply for an apprenticeship in one's 50s. But I had to quit my old profession for health reasons, and the only alternatives would be cleaning rooms, delivering parcels, or the like.)
Good luck!
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

WeepingElf wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:05 am I have been invited to an interview at the library where I had applied for an apprenticeship. (Yes, it seems somewhat odd to apply for an apprenticeship in one's 50s. But I had to quit my old profession for health reasons, and the only alternatives would be cleaning rooms, delivering parcels, or the like.)
Fingers crossed! Good luck!
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Raphael wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:16 am Good luck!
Ares Land wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:59 am Fingers crossed! Good luck!
Thank you both, and all others who wish good luck to me in the future!
My conlang pages
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Happy: I've been catsitting for a coworker this past week, and it's been fun. Very loving little kitty, and a great distraction from the ongoing packing for the moving!

Other happy: my moving date is fixed for 5 August. Friend'll be driving up with a rented moving van that weekend, we load it up, and then I get the keys to my new place that evening!
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Congrats!
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Viel Glück damit!
That's cool. I got married on Friday.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:14 am I got married on Friday.
Congratulations!!!
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
xxx

Post by xxx »

may your future be smiling...

Post by Travis B. »

MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:14 am That's cool. I got married on Friday.
Congrats!
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:14 am
Viel Glück damit!
It turned out that it wasn't the right thing for me, and I withdrew my application.
My conlang pages