Patavian (NP: historical phonology, nouns)

Conworlds and conlangs
dhok

Patavian (NP: historical phonology, nouns)

Post by dhok »

The Patavian language (native To Gesico Patávoschi, [to dʒe'ziko pa'tavoski]) is a language descended from the Common Slavic of the Slavs who invaded northern Italy immediately following the fall of the Western Roman Empire in 476. IOT, Slavic never gained a foothold in Italy and was replaced by Romance; in this scenario it survives in a small corner of Venetia near the old Roman town of Patavium, hence the name.

Because Patavian split off early and was surrounded by Romance speakers, it has missed a number of pan-Slavic changes and undergone influence from northern dialects of Italian. Most notably, it has maintained the Law of Open Syllables and has completely missed the fall of the yers except after word-final *j; *ь *ъ are usually /i o/. It has lost the neuter gender, and the case system has been reduced to a single nominative-accusative-oblique system, the last deriving from the genitive. Its syntax and phonology have been influenced heavily by Romance; adjectives now follow nouns and there is a definite article to/ta. There is a stress accent, but no pitch-accent.

Phonology

The phonology of Patavian is relatively conservative in many ways. In stressed syllables:

*ь *i *y > i
*e *ę > e
*ě > æ > ie (a diphthong)
*u > u
*ъ *ǫ > o
*o > ɔ > uo
*a > a

But note *ě *o > é ó word-finally.

Additionally, a nasalized vowel changes a following voiced stop to a nasal: domo 'oak' (*dǫ̂bъ) (compare duomo 'house', which stays separate). (Note > /ɲ/ in this context.)

In unstressed syllables, both of *e *ě become /e/, and all of *ъ *o *ǫ become /o/. Unstressed vowels tend to drop after *j, yielding diphthongs.

*t *d > ts dz > ts z before *i but not *ь or *y. (*-sti- > stsi > tsi). Liquid diphthongs generally resolve by metathesis: *VRCV > VCRV (so *dêrvo 'tree' gives diebro).

Consonants are generally conservative, but fortites to /dʒ/ (as was probably its original value); merged here is word-initial /j/ (thus gesico [dʒe'ziko] 'language'). *x is maintained and written <h>.

Spelling is mostly as in Italian. <s> is /z/, <ss> /s/. Perhaps even word-initially (ssotó 'hundred'?). /ts/ is <z> (ziezizi 'castrate' < *cěstiti), zenà 'price'). Stress falls on <ie uo>; failing that, the penult; failing that, any accented syllable.

Nouns

Nominative, accusative, oblique. The oblique derives from the genitive.

The neuter has been lost, both due to contact and to the falling-together of the neuter -o with the masculine . Masculines do not distinguish an accusative, but (as in OCS) animate masculine objects which are definite (preceded with the article) take the genitive. Bottoms up for Declension I, comprising the descendents of masculine and neuter o- and u-stems.

The accent paradigms have been leveled out. There now only exist stem-accents and ending-accents. Stem-accent (bico 'bull'):

Note that the pressure for the definite article to be a single syllable has reduced original togo to simply go in the oblique singular.

Ending-accent (vinó 'wine'):

Done and done.

Declension II is feminine a-stems. These also have stem-accents and ending-accents, and surprisingly have a separate accusative. Stem-accent lapa 'paw':

Ending-accent genà 'woman':

Declension III consists of the old i-stems plus the jo- and ja-stems.. These show complete ending syncretism in the singular because of the merger of *i and . However, endings in old -i trigger palatalization of /t st d/ to /ts ts z/. Note that only stem-accents exist in Declension III. Masculine example seti ['zeti] 'son-in-law':

['zeti 'zetsi 'zetse 'zetsi]. Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Of course, if you have a word whose stem ends in another consonant, you get even more syncretism--e.g. in geravi 'crane' (bird), whose nom. pl. is gerave; geravi in all other forms.

Feminines (cuosti 'bone', also with palatalization):

There is one more quirk: some nouns have a nominative singular stem which is not the same as the stem used elsewhere. Examples include dozi 'daughter', a Declension III noun with non-NOM.SG. stem dózer- (also in this category is mati/máter-); brato 'brother', a Declension I (stem bratr-); sieme 'seed', a Declension I with stem siemen-; and so on.

Additionally, ssino 'son' has an entirely irregular paradigm.

...those should read ss- but I'm too lazy to fix it.
dhok

Re: Patavian (NP: historical phonology, nouns)

Post by dhok »

Quick adjective post. Adjectives follow nouns. They have separate declensions based on whether or not the noun is definite (e.g. has a definite article); all, however, are stem-accents.

Definite declension:

Indefinite declension:

Note that the indefinite declension is identical to that of stem-accented Declension I and II.
dhok

Post by dhok »

I sso go zielago mira bie sino esico, i sina rieci.
[i so go 'tsjelago 'mira bje 'zino e'ziko i 'zina 'rjetʃi]

I stasse, togoda uoni géhaho odogo vostuoca, cogoda naido puoli voti semlí Scinara; i musisce tamo.
[i 'stase to'goda 'woni 'dʒexaxo o'dogo vo'stwoka ko'goda 'naido 'pwoli 'voti ze'mli ʃi'naɾa i mu'ziʃe 'tamo]

I uoni vezasce sino co sina, Prihosite, dielimo latri i ispecímoti pinla. I dla cámeni imasce latri, i dla liepa imasce glieno.
[i 'woni ve'tsaʃe 'zino ko 'zina, prixo'zite, 'djelimo 'latri i ispe'tʃimoti 'pinla i dla 'kameni i'maʃe 'latri i dla 'ljepa i'maʃe 'gljeno]

I vezasce, Prihosite, sídimo guodro i viegio, ci vihro sségati co to nebo; i dielimo ime, abi n'odossípamosse na to povéscrino u go zielogo mira.
[i ve'tsaʃe priho'zite 'zidimo 'gwodro i 'vjedʒo tʃi 'vixro 'segati ko to 'nebo i 'djelimo ime 'abi nodo'sipamose na po'veʃrino u go 'tsjelogo 'mira]

I TO BUOGO niside co to miro abi vísezi to guodro i to viegio citi ti dieti u celoviecovo sídasce.
[i to 'bwogo ni'zide co to miro abi 'vizetsi to 'gwodro i to 'vjedʒo 'tʃiti ti 'djeti u tʃelo'vjekovo 'zidaʃe]

I TO BUOGO veza, Esse, ti liusi ssoti esino, i uoni vissi imáoti esino esico; i uge nícito módeti nemuogino dla niho, to uoni naminiéoti dielazi.
[i to 'bwogo 'veza 'ese ti 'ljuzi 'soti e'sino i 'woni 'visi i'maoti e'zino e'ziko i 'udʒe 'nitʃito 'modeti ne'mwodʒino dla nixo to 'woni nami'njeoti 'dielatsi]

Prihosite, nisídimo, i tamo isomessímo iho esico, abi uoni n'úmeoti sino esico u sina.
[prixo'zite ni'zidimo i 'tamo izome'simo ixo e'ziko abi 'woni 'numeoti 'zino e'ziko u 'zina]

Taco TO BUOGO ih'odossipa togoda scosi to povéscrino u go zielogo mira; i uoni nesídasce to ssuvó guodro.
['tako to 'bwogo ixodo'sipa to'goda 'skozi to po'veʃrino u go 'tsjelogo mira i woni ne'zidaʃe to su'vo gwodro]

Étomi ime u nego zuovetise Babelo; gege tamo TO BUOGO isomessà to esico u go vissogo mira; i otudà TO BUOGO ih'odossipa scosi to povéscrino u go zielogo mira.
['etomi ime u 'nego 'tsuovetise Ba'belo; 'dʒedʒe 'tamo to 'bwogo izome'sa to e'ziko u go 'visogo 'mira i otu'da to 'bwogo ixodo'sipa 'skozi to po'veʃrino u go 'tsjelogo 'mira]
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

What is the difference between toi and go?
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Unless if there's no orthogrophic convenion until after Italian unification, spelling should be based off Venetian traditions instead of Italian.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Solarius

Post by Solarius »

This is very cool. I especially enjoy word initial <ss> for /s/; that's fun and gives it a distinctive flavor.

Are there any particular semantic changes or developments from Proto-Slavic which you enjoy?