Venting thread

Topics that can go away
doctor shark

Re: Venting thread

Post by doctor shark »

And adding to the fun is that I didn't get the checklist of "how to prepare the place" until last night! Now some of this isn't a huge issue (because I do, in fact, need to pack), but given that the main storage place for a lot of my things is the balcony and we've been having quite some rain recently...

Now to see if I can get a nice arrangement of chrysanthemums. (They said they wanted a nice arrangement of flowers, after all!)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
xxx

Post by xxx »

I'm very surprised that your landlord would impose requirements on you
when it's your home right up to the end of the contract,
and that a priori you have the right to dispose of it as you wish,
if not to return it in good condition at the end of your lease...

Post by Raphael »

xxx wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:32 am I'm very surprised that your landlord would impose requirements on you
when it's your home right up to the end of the contract,
and that a priori you have the right to dispose of it as you wish,
if not to return it in good condition at the end of your lease...
xxx

Post by xxx »

ouch fascist country...

Post by doctor shark »

Raphael wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:40 am Oh, in Germany, there are some landlords (thankfully not all) who will try to impose rules for how the apartment should look like all the time, not just when there's a photographer visiting.
Thankfully, this isn't the case here: this is the first time I've met the landlord as well. :P And he's also helped a lot with the cleaning, but when we got the checklist for tomorrow's photography session, it's a lot more than what we'd already done in terms of the cleaning. But the situation is a bit odd, to say the least, and I think I know why my landlord's so eager to sell ASAP: the Dutch government recently passed a rent reform law that expands the already-existing point system and limits the amount of rent that property owners can charge for properties that have fewer than a certain number of "points". There've also been some significant changes to the "assets tax" that the Dutch government imposes, so it's probably no longer profitable for him to keep the property.
aka vampireshark
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

doctor shark wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:12 am
Raphael wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:40 am Oh, in Germany, there are some landlords (thankfully not all) who will try to impose rules for how the apartment should look like all the time, not just when there's a photographer visiting.
Thankfully, this isn't the case here: this is the first time I've met the landlord as well. :P And he's also helped a lot with the cleaning, but when we got the checklist for tomorrow's photography session, it's a lot more than what we'd already done in terms of the cleaning. But the situation is a bit odd, to say the least, and I think I know why my landlord's so eager to sell ASAP: the Dutch government recently passed a rent reform law that expands the already-existing point system and limits the amount of rent that property owners can charge for properties that have fewer than a certain number of "points". There've also been some significant changes to the "assets tax" that the Dutch government imposes, so it's probably no longer profitable for him to keep the property.
A year or two ago my flat was sold, too, and I had no problems of this kind, even if the visits of the potential buyers to my flat were a bit stressful. Of course, I had tidied up my flat on that occasion (I am not very good at keeping things tidy, I have to admit), but that was all of it. However, it felt odd to be a part of what was sold.
Last edited by WeepingElf on Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
xxx

Post by xxx »

you reassure me, when I saw my daughter's student apartment in Germany...

Post by Torco »

the whole of rent is an oppressive scam, but some lords just add insult to injury.
keenir

Post by keenir »

xxx wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:09 am you reassure me, when I saw my daughter's student apartment in Germany...
I'm not sure which part of that is scarier.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Torco wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:55 pm the whole of rent is an oppressive scam, but some lords just add insult to injury.
Fortunately, most of my landlords haven't been complete [redacted]s, but the whole system is quite a mess (as evidenced by the continuous changes to the landlord–tenant legislation here in Tulipland and also in the Grand Duchy). That said, seeing how buying a property is not particularly likely for me, not too many other options for the time being.
More: show
The worst landlord experience I had was for my flat in France in 2011-12: I went through an agency, so I never met the guy. No problems at all (lost a bit of the security deposit, but normal) until 2015, though, when I got a surprise taxe d'habitation bill and had a three month-long tax dispute with the local French tax authorities. It turned out somehow the tax in 2013 wasn't paid, so they went with the person who they had records for in 2012. I finally got the dispute settled by proving I'd left France and relinquished the lease in 2012, but, still, that took three months of pain and back-and-forth via the French Embassy to the US, who then coordinated/communicated with the tax office in France (at least they offered to mediate, which was hugely helpful).
aka vampireshark
Torco

Post by Torco »

yeah, my experience has been even smoother: my dad's a landlord, so i kinda know what they tend to expect and can perform the respectability-but-also-knowing-the-law vibe, which is the best way to have them not give you trouble, but it's still mostly a luck thing. I've heard some stories, though, including random visits being in the lease paperwork etcetera. still, even if a landlord leaves you alone, the system still entails most of everyone paying a third or one half of their income to some rich guy simply because they are rich, which if you think about it is madness.

i'm also waaay unable to buy anything decent in the city, but there's always a little house on the prairie. man, maybe that's what happened to the mayas, they started charging each other exorbitant rents and ended up just abandoning the cities lmao
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I wrote a bunch of code for importing individual words into the current namespace, and it seemed to work great. Now today I discover that my new code happens to leave a single cell of garbage on the stack each time the word in question is referenced, and I missed that because I happened to not test the stack for garbage when I initially worked on the feature. Ugh.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Other vent: I'm supposed to go to southern France at the end of September, after I go back to the Grandest of Duchies, for a summer school (a week of intensive stuff on liquid crystals; good as a refresher!). In looking at the options for travel there, though, it's a bit catastrophic: there are no TGV lines to/from Luxembourg until at least October, so all the proposed train itineraries require either taking local trains to Metz or going via Brussels or Saarbrücken; and there are no direct Luxembourg–Marseille flights on the proposed travel days (flying into Nice means a two-to-three-hour onward train journey). Renting a car and driving might, in all honesty, be the best option given that there are five of us travelling there, but that requires an infinite amount of complex paperwork for the approval and eventual reimbursement (and I don't know how many drivers there are amongst us; there are at least three, but one doesn't feel comfortable driving a manual and another just doesn't like driving at all).
aka vampireshark
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have to make a release of zeptoforth for the deletion of a single line of code, a line of code that I should never have stupidly written, which did nothing but introduce a very annoying bug (which I happened to have missed because you have to do a certain sequence of steps to run into it, a sequence of steps that I had never thought of for some reason). I could wait till I get more code together before I release the fix, but I feel I have an obligation to my users to fix bugs that are reported or which I run into ASAP, as a higher priority than other development activities. I am less annoyed by fixing this bug than I am by how stupid it was, something that I should never have implemented in the first place. Of course, I also am annoyed because I wanted to implement a new feature that was suggested by one of my users that would be really neat (i.e. a version of WORDS that prints screenfuls of words at a time rather than just dumping them to the terminal all at once) but instead I am making a release to fix this stupid bug.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
xxx

Post by xxx »

doctor shark wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:54 pm Other vent: I'm supposed to go to southern France at the end of September, after I go back to the Grandest of Duchies, for a summer school (a week of intensive stuff on liquid crystals; good as a refresher!). In looking at the options for travel there, though, it's a bit catastrophic: there are no TGV lines to/from Luxembourg until at least October, so all the proposed train itineraries require either taking local trains to Metz or going via Brussels or Saarbrücken; and there are no direct Luxembourg–Marseille flights on the proposed travel days (flying into Nice means a two-to-three-hour onward train journey). Renting a car and driving might, in all honesty, be the best option given that there are five of us travelling there, but that requires an infinite amount of complex paperwork for the approval and eventual reimbursement (and I don't know how many drivers there are amongst us; there are at least three, but one doesn't feel comfortable driving a manual and another just doesn't like driving at all).
by train it seems that there are works between Luxembourg station and France
(without the ultra-left being to blame, as has been the case recently),
transport is by bus to France border then train, 8 hours in all on www.sncf-connect.com...
______________________________________________________________________________________
U€À‼Â{ÏhUÂUÂÔÁŠÂÀÃm}ÄòÉÅh‼€ÂÀUёÕUÀÉU^Õbb€ÀtÉ‼ÂÐUÂÀ‘ÕÅUÄÀbíÉÂ}ÅhUÂÀFÂÀevÂUÑFÕøÇb“ÉhFÂÀ{ÂÀÉÐ{Âі––M’‚…L‚Ž„‚“M‚ŽŒ
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I'm pretty sure that xxx's latest post was originally from earlier than today. What's going on?
xxx

Post by xxx »

wrong move, what did you think...

Post by Raphael »

I know there's no point in trying to get you to explain yourself clearly, but...
xxx wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 5:51 am wrong move,
What do you mean by that? Who do you think has made a wrong move, and how?
what did you think...
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Well, we all know that one can understand xxx only on Easter, and that only when the Moon is waxing ;)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

WeepingElf wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:43 am Well, we all know that one can understand xxx only on Easter, and that only when the Moon is waxing ;)
Maybe, but the underlying issue might be that I don't understand the board software. It looks to me like a post with an earlier date disappeared, and then an identical (or near-identical) post with a later date appeared in the same spot. Or am I misremembering something?