English questions

Natural languages and linguistics
Travis B.

Re: English questions

Post by Travis B. »

Developers have cow-orkers.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zompist wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:18 pm
Raholeun wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:11 pm Are the terms 'colleague' and 'coworker' entirely synonymous? Are there perhaps differences in connotation?
Yeah, it's class Doctors have colleagues, plumbers have co-workers. Someone in the middle, like developers, can have either.

As ever, there are nuances. You can talk about a grocery bagger's colleagues, but it's ironic or condescending. If you talk about a doctor's co-workers, it'd be likely taken as their secretaries and nurses.
Cow-orkers aside, if someone at my work (for those who don't already know, I'm a programmer by profession) spoke of "colleagues" I would think they had drunk too much of the human resources department Kool-Aid.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Plumbers can have colleagues too—for example, someone in the same line of work but a different shop/state/union.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:39 am I'm currently reading an English-language novel in which a character is described as blond on one page and as red-haired on the next page. Is that just the author being sloppy, or can red-haired sometimes be seen as a subdivision of blond in the English language?
There is a type of hair colour called "strawberry blonde". Wiktionary describes it as "hair [that] appears blonde in dim light, but when exposed to sun or a bright light, the hair may assume a slight tinge of pink or red color". I rarely see this term used outside of popular literature from the mid-20th century and earlier.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:44 pm
Raphael wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:39 am I'm currently reading an English-language novel in which a character is described as blond on one page and as red-haired on the next page. Is that just the author being sloppy, or can red-haired sometimes be seen as a subdivision of blond in the English language?
There is a type of hair colour called "strawberry blonde". Wiktionary describes it as "hair [that] appears blonde in dim light, but when exposed to sun or a bright light, the hair may assume a slight tinge of pink or red color". I rarely see this term used outside of popular literature from the mid-20th century and earlier.
Thank you. I don't think that applies here - the book is from the turn of this century.