Quechua resources

Natural languages and linguistics
mèþru

Quechua resources

Post by mèþru »

I joined a worldbuilding discord on wednesday and some people there want to learn Quechua and complained about the lack of online resources. Any of you know stuff I can direct them to? One of them is in Mexico and one is in Peru.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
hwhatting

Re: Quechua resources

Post by hwhatting »

I don't want to sound like a grumpy old man, but the person in Peru maybe just should get out more? I mean, if they're in a city, there should be libraries with Quechua resources and circles where you can learn Quechua in Peru, of all places?
This obscure web site nobody ever heard of has some annotated links to Quechua materials.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I don't think they are from a city.
last week i travel near my hometown and got kind lost in the jungle but i found some natives and start talking about turism in the region and i suggest to start teaching quechua and.... long conversation about "maybies"
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Can they wait a year and a half? That will probably be my next project.

Your Mexican friend is out of luck, but your Peruvian friend is living in the only place where Quechua resources are easy to find. If they don't live in Lima, surely they know people who do, or who go there. (And if they live way away from the capital... well, gosh, that's where a few million Quechua speakers live.)
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I've been using a few different resources for learning Quechua over the past few years. One of the most useful ones IMO (or at least one of the least boring :P) is this.
bbbosborne

Post by bbbosborne »

this is a textbook that i'm pretty sure you're supposed to buy with an audio CD accompaniment, but it has some helpful and important bits scattered throughout
when the hell did that happen
cedh

Post by cedh »

It's not intended as a textbook for learning the language, but here's an open access reference grammar of a Quechua variety.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

This dictionary, although somewhat out of date, may be of some use, especially as a means of comparing three separate dialects:
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED012031.pdf
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon