Conlang Random Thread

Conworlds and conlangs
bradrn

Re: Conlang Random Thread

Post by bradrn »

keenir wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:08 am
Ahzoh wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:07 am Don't mean to be snarky, but I'm frustrated by talking about things that don't need to be said. I've been conlanging for 10+ years, I know very well the ambiguity and flexibility of terminology. And I think we all agree that pluractionality is about an action itself being plural, and that results in all sorts of different semantic (aspectual) manifestations.
bradrn wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:03 amIf the basic meaning of a marker is completeness, I wouldn’t call it a pluractional.
Well no, it's not the basic meaning, the basic meaning is a plurality of action. Completeness is just one manifestation of that.
didn't Creyeditor just explain this to you and I? its the number of events, not about number of the arguments.
Those two often go together, though. That’s one of the things which make this such an interesting area.

(Of course, there are many languages where pluractionality and object number are marked independently, e.g. Georgian.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

keenir wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:08 am
Ahzoh wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:07 am Don't mean to be snarky, but I'm frustrated by talking about things that don't need to be said. I've been conlanging for 10+ years, I know very well the ambiguity and flexibility of terminology. And I think we all agree that pluractionality is about an action itself being plural, and that results in all sorts of different semantic (aspectual) manifestations.
bradrn wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:03 amIf the basic meaning of a marker is completeness, I wouldn’t call it a pluractional.
Well no, it's not the basic meaning, the basic meaning is a plurality of action. Completeness is just one manifestation of that.
didn't Creyeditor just explain this to you and I? its the number of events, not about number of the arguments.
I said plurality of action (i.e. events or states) not plurality of participants (though they often go together).

It was only you who had confused grammatical number (quantity of participants) with pluractionality (and which Creyeditor clarified for you), but I was not confused on that.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

There is a concept map of pluractionality, which is pretty complex
semanticmapofpluractionality.png
semanticmapofpluractionality.png (43.41 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Hittite for example:
More: show
hittitepluractional.png
hittitepluractional.png (128.5 KiB) Viewed 71 times
And Beja:
More: show
bejapluractional.png
bejapluractional.png (76.65 KiB) Viewed 71 times

I only want one pluractional marker (PM), so I want to decide on an optimal semantic range that can be used for most verbs. For example, I can't think of a pluractional meaning to stative verbs like "be good" or "be old" other than "participant plurality". Maybe they can't be pluractional.

The more I try to understand it the less appealing the idea becomes, especially when I don't understand it enough to know when such a form should be used.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ahzoh wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:28 pm There is a concept map of pluractionality, which is pretty complex
Reference(s) please? I always like semantic maps.
The more I try to understand it the less appealing the idea becomes, especially when I don't understand it enough to know when such a form should be used.
I’m going to suggest another reference here: Wood 2007 (open-access). Chapters 4 and 5 are in-depth studies of pluractionality in Yurok and Chechen, respectively.

Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Ahzoh wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:28 pm I only want one pluractional marker (PM), so I want to decide on an optimal semantic range that can be used for most verbs. For example, I can't think of a pluractional meaning to stative verbs like "be good" or "be old" other than "participant plurality". Maybe they can't be pluractional.
How about multiple manifestations of the quality? So for "be old" we might have a pluractional meaning "to act senile". I may be being misled by the non-stative English "to be good", whose meaning can include "to behave oneself", as in "I was being good while the visitors were here".
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

bradrn wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:13 pm
Ahzoh wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:28 pm There is a concept map of pluractionality, which is pretty complex
A November 2016 presentation by Simone Mattiola that this article on Hittite Pluractionality also references. And I can't seem to post the PDF I have. Since they also go over the semantic maps of PMs in Maa and Akawaio
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

Richard W wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:15 pm
Ahzoh wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:28 pm I only want one pluractional marker (PM), so I want to decide on an optimal semantic range that can be used for most verbs. For example, I can't think of a pluractional meaning to stative verbs like "be good" or "be old" other than "participant plurality". Maybe they can't be pluractional.
How about multiple manifestations of the quality? So for "be old" we might have a pluractional meaning "to act senile". I may be being misled by the non-stative English "to be good", whose meaning can include "to behave oneself", as in "I was being good while the visitors were here".
The statives I mentioned in particular are attributive. Like verbal equivalents to adjectives. Though at least in Semitic languages, attributive verbs end up becoming inchoative or inceptive (e.g. to be old > to become old; to be good > to become good) while their adjective counterparts remain attributive.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ahzoh wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:24 pm
bradrn wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:13 pm
A November 2016 presentation by Simone Mattiola that this article on Hittite Pluractionality also references. And I can't seem to post the PDF I have. Since they also go over the semantic maps of PMs in Maa and Akawaio
Thanks!