Almeomusica

Almea and the Incatena
zompist
Site Admin

Re: Meet the Žambeys

Post by zompist »

sasasha wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:14 am
zompist wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:13 pm I'll look at my notes but I'm afraid there's very little there.
No worries ‒ you mentioned keyboardists ‒ I thought C.K. was a truckers’ magazine, am I missing something here?
Heh, yeah... the initials stood for Contemporary Keyboard, later just Keyboard. Though this kind of silliness has been tempered, the association can remain.
Sounds good. I wonder if it would then just still get called Elcaďinas, perhaps.
You could, but I think that'd be a bit archaic. (But the Cfesifonei like to sound achaic!)

(Caďinas is really awkward in Verdurian: it's a reborrowing, so the -as is treated as part of the root, thus giving genitive caďinasei etc. Plus it's strongly associated with the empire. The adjective caďin is still current and convenient, so elcaďin works fine.)
1. How do you go about coining Kebreni personal names? I can see an amount of -um, and -ec for women, applied to normal lexemes. Can you just use any word in the dictionary, or is there more to it, and are suffixes common/obligatory/optional...? Without having made a big list of Kebreni names I thought it would be easier to ask.
I often use a verb + -eu (m) / -ec (f) for first names, a place + -um for family names. Remember that -um names an inhabitant: "mountainlander" is good, "radishlander" not as good. :)

But almost any noun can be used for a first name. Jewels, plants, animals, virtues, and happy qualities work well.

For surnames, think "what would distinguish one medieval dude from another?" Location works, thus all the -um names. But a profession is OK too, or an adjective. Be prosaic here-- Kalum the Tall is fine, Kalum the Righteous is overblown.
2. Any notes/ideas on what happened to Getemil Onvaďre? He would be 16 in 3422, and last we heard (from the Almeopedia article on Onvaďra) he was arrested in 3420 on the death of his mother.

As we’re headed to Verduria-city in time for the second imdaluát of King Vläran, and two years seems potentially a long time for a youngish teenager to be arrested, I’m wondering if there’ll be some interest/gossip/drama involving what happens to him going around Verduria-city when we get there.
Verduria was pretty law-oriented at that time, so Vlaran would not have him killed or anything. If you want him available for the narrative, he could be freed that year; on the other hand he'd be strongly encouraged to not stay in Verduria-city.
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

zompist wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:05 am Heh, yeah... the initials stood for Contemporary Keyboard, later just Keyboard. Though this kind of silliness has been tempered, the association can remain.
Haha ok, that makes more sense now! It would certainly be nice to place a workshop in the town making keyboard parts or something that Kaidan and Zevy can visit. Kaidan eventually runs an instrument workshop, and he needs to get his inspiration from somewhere. The workshop in C.K. would no doubt be a little place, the home of an eccentric/enthusiast devoted to teclora innovations. I visited somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Hungary like that that I could draw on.
You could, but I think that'd be a bit archaic. (But the Cfesifonei like to sound achaic!)

(Caďinas is really awkward in Verdurian: it's a reborrowing, so the -as is treated as part of the root, thus giving genitive caďinasei etc. Plus it's strongly associated with the empire. The adjective caďin is still current and convenient, so elcaďin works fine.)
Right, makes sense! Is Elcaďináe a plausible option?
I often use a verb + -eu (m) / -ec (f) for first names, a place + -um for family names. Remember that -um names an inhabitant: "mountainlander" is good, "radishlander" not as good. :)

But almost any noun can be used for a first name. Jewels, plants, animals, virtues, and happy qualities work well.

For surnames, think "what would distinguish one medieval dude from another?" Location works, thus all the -um names. But a profession is OK too, or an adjective. Be prosaic here-- Kalum the Tall is fine, Kalum the Righteous is overblown.
Thank you -- this is so helpful -- and if you ever feel like it, would be a great addition to the Kebreni language page.

Does Zaugu Mogemum work?
Verduria was pretty law-oriented at that time, so Vlaran would not have him killed or anything. If you want him available for the narrative, he could be freed that year; on the other hand he'd be strongly encouraged to not stay in Verduria-city.
Right -- I wasn't planning this, but actually... it might work to involve him a little in what's ahead. Do you think it would make sense for him to be released into the care of a noble family, who have sworn to keep him out of trouble for the King, and who have a far-off place to sequester him to? ... In which case, could that noble family be the Spasiecs?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

sasasha wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:41 am Right, makes sense! Is Elcaďináe a plausible option?
Mmm, doesn't sound good. You could maybe get away with "soî Elcaďinî" (that is, eliding cimî).
Does Zaugu Mogemum work?
I assume this is based on the place name Mogema. I don't like all the m's; I think Mogemen sounds better.
Right -- I wasn't planning this, but actually... it might work to involve him a little in what's ahead. Do you think it would make sense for him to be released into the care of a noble family, who have sworn to keep him out of trouble for the King, and who have a far-off place to sequester him to? ... In which case, could that noble family be the Spasiecs?
I guess so. FWIW Perecaln was probably pretty ordinary in the 3420s... its troubles were much later.
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

Subproject index
Episode 8: something about shepherds

Diary of Kaidan Žambey
Episode 8
20 reli 3422 (néronden)
Zola to C.K.

I wasn’t going to write, but it was a wild enough evening to warrant report, and my boat-friends are currently still sleeping it off on the benches…

We arrived at Zola late yesterday afternoon. I expected to find nothing there, and my first sight of the ramshackle dock, with the remnants of market-day oozing out of it by power of a few depressed-looking rowing boats, seemed to confirm my expectation. Most of the passengers went left from the river on the recommendation of one of the boatmen, to where we could see a few roofs and wisps of smoke.

However, to the right we saw a trickle of people milling generally uphill that seemed too generous a flow for such a backwater, and a stroll up the gently-sloping riverbank after them revealed a fair crowd assembled on a green in front of a lopsided aďetonáe on the outskirts of town. They were sharing food, which was laid out on blankets and planks and being sizzled over a few fires. It looked like a picnic party in the Niëma Nezi ‒ just with a lot less money.

Zevy sprang to life and bounded up to the nearest revellers. “Brac Eleďei!” he cried. “Of course! Today is vigil of Brac Eleďei! Dobrî cuendî, zeveu!” He was embracing people as if he had known them all his life.

It was the first I’d realised Zevy is an Eleďe. It struck me that, through this faith, a foreigner could walk into a strange little town with no purpose or invitation and immediately find as warm a welcome as I had ever seen.

I wasn’t as much in the crowd as hovering around it with Mëfa, who had slipped the chaperone normally assigned to her by Captain Sfica. But we had arrived with Zevy, so we began to be embraced and fervently greeted too. Not knowing what to do, and feeling quite hungry, I followed suit. A man dressed in a grey robe I took to be the priest grabbed hold of my arm and welcomed me with gusto, asking where I was from.

Frankly, I was already finding it all a bit cultish, and found myself lying that I was from Solhai. He looked quizzically at me. I asked whether there was an inn up this side of town, throwing in a few vaguely southern accent features and immediately regretting it.

“I’m afraid there’s no room at the inn,” he replied, wearing an expression I couldn’t quite read, “but you and your wife could always sleep in the stable.”

Mëfa and I exchanged a look, part embarrassed, part confused. Was it an Eleďe thing to house guests like animals? It felt like a test and I hadn’t the faintest clue how to pass. Thankfully Zevy had circled back to our vicinity and was able to supply the laughter that we hadn’t fully realised was being elicited.

“Hilarious, řemát lë,” he said, and nudged me. We laughed a bit too much, while I tried to remember details of the bizarre foreign doctrine the Eleďî adhere to. Something about shepherds. By Calto, I was hungry! Say something about shepherds, said my stomach.

“I’m actually, er, a shepherd, so, yep, great, cheers, řemát lë, we’ll take the stable…!”

Mëfa raised an eyebrow so high it nearly ascended off her head. My mumblings had had the effect of putting a sign around my neck saying “will sell soul for free dinner”. The priest – who was gripping on to me with weird intensity ‒ burst out laughing again, even harder this time. “A shepherd, with those hands? A masseur, more like,” he said, “but I like you, Gn Solhai. You can stay and share food with us. Tomorrow we celebrate the raising of our Lord Eleď into the Heavens… Tonight we eat and share in our joy, and all are welcome.”

I was suspicious. What was the price? I had nothing to share. What would Řavcaëna think? But Zevy had already accepted and started shovelling food into my arms. Soon I was juggling a few chicken legs, a crumbly ham salad filled with nuts and croutons I was cupping in my bare hand, and half a folded zer filled with goat’s cheese. I was considering conversion, until I started being bothered by wasps. (Thanks, Řavcaëna.)

“We have music, řemát lë,” Zevy was announcing to the priest, who was now arranging for things to be brought in and out of a sizeable house. “I know many sacred songs, and he is… rather good,” he said, pointing to me. “He will… picked it up.”

The priest was pleased. I was sensing the opportunity for free lodgings, and I could tell Zevy was too. It’s a musician thing.

“Can you play žažarkî?” the priest asked. I was surprised at the request, and I didn’t know for sure if Zevy could, but I was quick to pipe up.

“Many, řemát lë ‒ any you like, řohuepë, huepë, smirë, dunisë, dinisë, and anything in between…!” I spat through my mouthful. The priest beamed. “All we need is somewhere to tune and to leave our packs…”

“I have been to Žažar itself,” said Zevy, “to learn from žažarka masters.” He grinned at me through chicken. I don’t know if a žažarka master has lived in Žažar for a hundred years, but it sounded mystical. “If, afterwards, we can get good night’s sleep, we can play like hurricane for you.”

By itself this might have been enough to secure a bed. But we suddenly had another entrant to our bid ‒ Mëfa. “Sir, I have danced in the finest courts of Eretald,” she said. We all stared at her, in her shabby traveler’s cloak. “I can show your people dances from the noblest ballrooms.” To prove her credentials, she produced a flourish of unmistakable grace.

It was unexpected ‒ but clearly she wouldn’t have said it if she couldn’t come up with the goods. We were smiling at each other, the three of us. It was shaping up into quite a team. I’ve not had that feeling for a while.

“Well, then, please God, I would be most obliged if your troupe would stay with me, and entertain us!” said the priest. “The people here love to dance. We have some players among us too, but they can’t manage a proper žažarka… We only get those when guests pass through. We’ll do something sacred first, of course…”

I was a little dumbfounded by the whole exchange. I knew even less about Eleďát yesterday than I do today, but I still don’t think it can be normal for one of their priests to encourage a bout of wild dancing like a Syetnor cultist. Still, in context, I could understand his approach. He wanted his faith to be popular, and popular, here in this nowhere-place, it was.

We arranged for an hour’s grace to fill our bellies, while the word got round that there was going to be music and dancing. The three of us were passed from blanket to blanket to meet and eat. These were kind and generous people, if a little bland; they reminded me of Como. I asked after him by name once or twice, but received blank stares.

The atmosphere got jollier as the sun went down, the first stars appeared and the light from the cooking fires drew strength from the dusk. Zevy and Mëfa and I were shown to a surprisingly genteel lobby in the house in which we unpacked and tuned, Mëfa revealing a pair of castanets she kept in her cloak, and discussed the modes and metres we would play, the alternating equal and unequal patterns of the žažarkî we knew. There was a decent kena on a shelf which I asked to borrow. Mëfa swapped her cloak for a colourful shawl fringed with clacking beads which she had in her pack, and Zevy produced a set of metal finger-picks for amplification. When we returned, a loud clanging silenced the green ‒ the priest beating on a pot with a ladle.

“Children of Eleď! The Lord and His Angels have blessed us with a bounty of fine entertainers! We will dance žažarkî until we can dance no more! But first, we will herald the glorious Ascension of Our Lord Eleď into the Heavens; the very Heavens whose winds the Angels brought to the sails of the blessed Elenicoi, and blew them to our shores!”

A rousing cheer went up, then the voices of old and young intertwined to intone “Žescó! Žescó!”. I shuddered with the unfamiliar zeal of it, the sheer charisma which carried this crowd deftly towards frenzy. The Temple is… not like this. Sacrifice to Enäron and Išira feels, by comparison, like a group trip to an accountant.

The priest calmed the chant down with the ladle. “I call upon the lebomî and anorî to bring down the Celestial Light.”

I will fail to describe what followed; it was choreographed to pass through the onlooker like an intoxicating mist. The youngest and the oldest rose and swooped around the fires, filling their hands with flame ‒ a dozen lamps suddenly lit, swirling through the growing darkness. I suppose they merely walked, but the effect was of a serene, supple dance ‒ a dance with light, rather than with sound. But music, too, began: a drone on en and fi, put out first by the swirling figures, and then by the assembled crowd; and then, across it all cut the priest’s clear voice, singing in the chief mode of the Svetla, which ran majestic behind the whole scene, a hymn of not inconsiderable beauty in praise of this Celestial Light. The dancers held their lamps to the sun and the stars, then brought them back down towards the people, then up again at the sky; and truly, it seemed as if the heavenly orbs were being brought down to live in our circle of light for a spellbound time.

The priest sang “Žescó, žescó!” and the people followed, weaving three textures into a loose fabric: the chant with the drone with the pulsating exclamation. To my surprise a horn, played ‒ aptly ‒ by a girl of about 14, joined the exclamation, roaring from ře up to a, again and again. Then it was over ‒ silence fell, it had become night ‒ and the lamps were at rest on a dais in the centre of the green, surrounding a brazier I had not noticed before, which now seemed to burn with a special brightness. I felt shivers travel up my arms and neck.

I do not know quite how the moment transitioned from profundity into revelry but it did. Zevy and I produced the instruments, and Mëfa threw the shawl over her shoulders and struck a dramatic pose. We must have played a dozen žažarkî before the mood gave out and people started leaking away to bed. I switched between dičura, kena and singing, and Zevy played the čište like he was an entire orchestra. Mëfa moved like a demon and stole every young man’s heart… (Well, nearly.) The intricate percussion of her castanets and beads was augmented by some of the town players, those who could really grasp the rhythms ‒ they played on wooden blocks and pans and spoons. The townspeople lapped up her instruction and busted out a few impressive-looking new moves. The girl with the horn turned out to be truly talented and we improvised together over a few pieces, passing gestures between the high- and low-pitched voices of our respective instruments, inverse to the lays of our natural voices.

And right at the end of it all, before slumping into my feather bed, I heard, from the mouths of two stablehands practically as they rode off, the words that have haunted me all the long day today ‒ the reason I could take no rest even in the glorious comfort of our hard-won lodgings: “…press-ganged in Ulian…” “… gave them a hell of a fight…”, “… bound for Karímia…”, “… with this wonderful hair, and this… terrible scar…”

Notes:

aďetonáe - Eleďe church

Niëma Nezi - Island Park, the large central park in Žésifo

Brac Eleďei - Ascension (lit. ‘Glory of Eleď’). The actual holiday is tomorrow, on the holy day ceďnare. In fact I got my days mixed up ‒ originally this episode was going to be set on ceďnare. My save was to imagine that people celebrating festivals might sometimes have a vigil after the market day ends on the néronden evening before. This is, in fact, how many Christian festivals are celebrated around the world (including Ascension, which in the Orthodox tradition has a vigil celebration). I guess the ceďnare Brac Eleďei celebration might be more solemn and take place in church; doing these informal kind of vigils for some Eleďe festivals might helpfully distinguish Eleďe from the pagans (who feast on ceďnare), building identity and community. Zomp says he likes the idea of vigils so I’ve kept this as is.

řemát lë - ‘your holiness’

a masseur, more like - Vd. procesen ‘to massage’ is Basfahe slang for ‘flatter, con’. The priest is sending up both Kaidan’s implausible attempt to appear working class and his effort to pretend to be an Eleďe in the hope of getting a meal.

Heavens - in my first draft I suggested the idea of ‘The Heavens Between’ as a possible bit of Eleďe doctrine. It had struck me that part of Eleďe thought would deal with the cosmological situation that produced it, and that heaven might be seen as somewhere linking, probably from above, Oikumene and Almea. Brac Eleďei being Ascension (when Christ is said to have risen from Earth), which closely precedes Donulî/Pentecost (when the holy spirit is said to have been sent down to Earth), I wouldn’t be too surprised if some Eleďe doctrine develops somewhere that suggests that the Itian Nëron / holy spirit or Eleď himself in some way made a special appearance on Almea in between… However, I prefer Zompist’s observation that these Eleďe probably don’t even realise Oikumene is a different world: to them, the Elenicoi might as well have come from far across the sea. Hence the priest mentions their arrival but doesn’t go into detail about the Miracle of the Translation… I guess 700 years on from the event, it’s only really of special interest to wizards, theologians, and physicists! Mark’s main comment here was that he isn’t sure Eleďát is that interesting. We agreed though that Kaidan is coming from an unusually heavily entrenched orthodox pagan perspective, and also that strange things happen in backwaters, so all this is probably doctrinally unusual, and Kaidan thinks all Eleďát is noteworthy by virtue of being foreign to him anyway.

Řavcaëna - pagan goddess of agriculture. In modern times she has been somewhat reconsidered as a goddess of marriage and children (roles traditionally taken by Išira). Řavcaëna is Kaidan’s privately chosen personal god. That his entire family have worked at the Temple of Enäron and Išira for generations is inconsequential; that is work, this is devotion. Kaidan began following Řavcaëna’s cult shortly after his mother died; he found comfort in her image and in the marking of the rhythmic agricultural processes that mirror the inevitable passage of time, the yearly recession of winter and the constant cycling back of all collapsed systems into new growth.

kena - a flute (made from a reed)

žescó - equivalent to ‘Amen’

žažarkî - a žažarka is a fast, rhythmic dance, originating in Žažar [incidentally, Zomp ‒ any idea where this is?]. Usually performed entirely instrumentally by a small ensemble, they inevitably have an ABA structure, with a strong rhythmic contrast between the two sections (though this might be slow-fast-slow or fast-slow-fast). There was a massive craze for them in the 3300s, beginning earlier in the courts of the Eleďe dynasty, but eventually spreading to all parts of society. In later times they are mainly associated culturally with two things: a flavour of the South (of Eretald), and the era of the Abolineron dynastic struggle. A third, more covert, influence is Xurnese dance music: after Verduria’s Queen Elena visited Xurno and the Xazengri trade was renewed, things Xurnese became all the rage; a Xurnese aesthetic worked its way into the genre, though most people dancing it wouldn’t have realised. The Abolineron connection is chiefly due to a particular subset ‒ žažarka řohuepë, ‘unequal žažarka’ ‒ which people said resembled the unsettled times. What makes one of these ‘unequal’ is one or both of two features: (a) at least one of the sections using a metre that doesn’t divide neatly, such as having 5 beats in a bar ‒ or 8, but grouped e.g. 3, 3, 2 rather than 4, 4; (b) a particular tempo relationship between the two sections, whereby the time taken for 2 beats in the slower section becomes the time taken for 3 in the faster section. In practice what that means for the public is somewhat lilting, even jolting dance moves, and a big ‘jolt’ in the middle of the piece where the dance moves have to change significantly, and back. These jolts (both small and large) were thought to be exhilarating and emotionally charged, and overall provided a stark contrast to the steadier dances of the prior age.

Two žažarkî řohuepî have appeared already ‒ one in Zomp’s Patreon video, and one on Youtube here.

You can hear a third here. All three are scored for the same forces, a small courtly instrumental ensemble complete with unpitched and pitched percussion sections, the latter of which was imported with the Xurnese aesthetic.

Enjoy!
Last edited by sasasha on Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keenir

Post by keenir »

that was an enjoyable and fun story. thank you for making it.

and yes, sometimes we get hungry enough that certain people would sell us a free meal for a soul or a birthright. its all in fun so long as nobody actually demands we pay the butchers bill.

bravo!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

keenir wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:54 pm that was an enjoyable and fun story. thank you for making it.

and yes, sometimes we get hungry enough that certain people would sell us a free meal for a soul or a birthright. its all in fun so long as nobody actually demands we pay the butchers bill.

bravo!
I can't add anything to that - seconded!
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

keenir wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:54 pm that was an enjoyable and fun story. thank you for making it.

bravo!
Aw, thank you, I appreciate that!

And yes, I agree, free food motivates all sorts of things. I’ve done my fair share of singing for my supper. On a choir tour in France once, we were invited to a barbecue after a concert, and I overheard someone remarking on my seventh or eighth sausage “Robin est un vrai gourmand, non?” which I was able to correct “Non... Hédoniste!”
Raphael wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:22 pm
I can't add anything to that - seconded!
Thank you!
sasasha

Re: Almeomusica

Post by sasasha »

Quick question to the room (esp Zomp):

I messed up the days (again) ‒ according to my plan the episode we’ve just read (in Zola) should be happening on zëden. (The days, unfortunately, matter because of the events lining up at the other end!)

I have two choices. Either:
  • I squish the journey up, so it takes one day fewer ‒ just possible, if the barge crew can handle a 40+ mile day one of the days heading towards Verdúria-city, but possibly uncomfortable...

or
  • This episode actually does take place on a zëden. It can hardly be called a vigil for ceďnare’s feast day, but hear me out: there’s a Verdurian word zëdenei “stew, [‘of zëden’— a meal made of whatever’s left the day before market day]”. Perhaps it’s a clever marketing thing the small-town Eleďî have cottoned on to: when are people most in need of food? Zëden evening. When’s the best time, then, for a bring and share designed to emphasise and make attractive the collective strength of the faith conmunity? Zëden evening... The fact that this ceďnare is a big Eleďe feast no doubt helps, and provides a cause for both general revelry and the ceremonial aspect of the feast. If zëdenei is a common enough thing to enter the lexicon, and ‒ let’s face it ‒ probably unpopular, a zëden feast using up things that won’t keep before market day tomorrow, vastly increasing available food choices on zëden, could be a popular choice (especially for a religion whose main job is to pursuade pagans that life is better as an Eleďe)? The only entry fee to many other people’s leftovers being a few of your own... Perhaps preying on an added element of social posing: we had better leftovers than you, and ooh we better save that for zëden (so we can look more generous and better off)... Also being tied to the weeks which have Eleďe feasts is another marketing ploy: it keeps the unpopular old thing (zëdenei stew/feeling poor) around so people can still complain about it, but provides an occasional alternative which feels celebratory rather than routine, and is very tangibly tied to Eleďe ceremony. Also... néronden evening, then, is left free, which could potentially have an appeal in itself ‒ I notice churches about the place IRL often leave Saturday night well alone, presumably so as not to seem overbearingly demanding of leisure time, keeping the religion attractive...
Either way requires a slight rewrite of various things; I’m curious to take advice.

BTW I edited some previous episodes, mainly to line some facts up better, but you may find a few new things in there if you look back.

[gushing metacomment]
More: show
BTW also ‒ if all this nitpicking about what happens on what days seems to onlookers like overthinking, it’s a measure of what a curious (and wonderful ‒ but time-consuming) thing it is to write something set in someone else’s creation (at least, if the intent is to get the world ‘right’ and not to conflict with canon). To write this simple journey I’ve had to examine so many aspects of Almean life in a level of detail that sometimes leaves me with 100+ open tabs all about Almea, and many, long email threads with Zomp, who has been absolutely brilliant and immensely patient at helping me get the shape of the world of the stuff I make to fit Almea as is. I absolutely love the process and it’s addictive. If I’d chosen to write about a musician in my own world I’d have had the handwaving shortcut ‒ and it has been so, so much better for the outcomes that I have lacked that ‒ not to mention that I wouldn’t have access to the vast wealth of data about Almea that makes it ‘feel’ 3D / alive to me. Almea is a joy to write in ‒ partly because so much is already known, and ‘getting it right’ often means inadvertently deepening that already enormous pool of Almeology. It does require an attention to the nitty-gritty, though!
[/gushing metacomment]
keenir

Post by keenir »

sasasha wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:17 am Quick question to the room (esp Zomp):
  • This episode actually does take place on a zëden. It can hardly be called a vigil for ceďnare’s feast day, but hear me out: there’s a Verdurian word zëdenei “stew, [‘of zëden’— a meal made of whatever’s left the day before market day]”. Perhaps it’s a clever marketing thing the small-town Eleďî have cottoned on to: when are people most in need of food? Zëden evening. When’s the best time, then, for a bring and share designed to emphasise and make attractive the collective strength of the faith conmunity? Zëden evening...
My thought would be to do the latter...partly because someone once told me "if you have two choices, chose the one that enables worldbuilding"

...but mostly because it sounds like fun...also, now we can learn multiple words for potluck. :D

... néronden evening, then, is left free, which could potentially have an appeal in itself ‒ I notice churches about the place IRL often leave Saturday night well alone, presumably so as not to seem overbearingly demanding of leisure time, keeping the religion attractive...
I always thought it was because, when churches do anything on Saturday, its more around noon and early afternoon, in part so they can get parishoners and guests who can't drive in low light conditions.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

sasasha wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:17 am
  • I squish the journey up, so it takes one day fewer ‒ just possible, if the barge crew can handle a 40+ mile day one of the days heading towards Verdúria-city, but possibly uncomfortable...
I'm not a bargeman, but judging from other workmen I've known, suggesting that they do their work twice as fast for a day would probably induce medically dangerous levels of eye-rolling.
  • This episode actually does take place on a zëden. It can hardly be called a vigil for ceďnare’s feast day, but hear me out: there’s a Verdurian word zëdenei “stew, [‘of zëden’— a meal made of whatever’s left the day before market day]”. Perhaps it’s a clever marketing thing the small-town Eleďî have cottoned on to: when are people most in need of food? Zëden evening. When’s the best time, then, for a bring and share designed to emphasise and make attractive the collective strength of the faith conmunity?
I like your finding and elaborating on a bit of the lexicon, here, so I'd go with this.

I wouldn't want to say that this is a characteristic tactic of Eleďî in general, but it's fair to say that some Eleďî would think this way and your pastor is one of them. In your period (3420s) it's also fair to say that the pagan/Eleďe divide is fairly stable and often friendly. So the local pagans might well enjoy the festivities but few would convert.
BTW also ‒ if all this nitpicking about what happens on what days seems to onlookers like overthinking, it’s a measure of what a curious (and wonderful ‒ but time-consuming) thing it is to write something set in someone else’s creation (at least, if the intent is to get the world ‘right’ and not to conflict with canon). To write this simple journey I’ve had to examine so many aspects of Almean life in a level of detail that sometimes leaves me with 100+ open tabs all about Almea, and many, long email threads with Zomp [...]
Thank you, and I'm glad you have the patience and scrupulosity to work that way. It's a nice example that constraints often enhance an artwork.

FWIW, I am constantly looking up things myself about my own conworld. It's true that I can change things if I need to, but it's nicer to figure out a way to make things work.
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

keenir wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 3:09 pm My thought would be to do the latter...partly because someone once told me "if you have two choices, chose the one that enables worldbuilding"

...but mostly because it sounds like fun...also, now we can learn multiple words for potluck. :D
Haha... Good reasoning, I like that.

I always thought it was because, when churches do anything on Saturday, its more around noon and early afternoon, in part so they can get parishoners and guests who can't drive in low light conditions.
I’m sure that comes into it!

zompist wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 5:19 pm I'm not a bargeman, but judging from other workmen I've known, suggesting that they do their work twice as fast for a day would probably induce medically dangerous levels of eye-rolling.
‘Workmen I’ve known’ is a lovely title for something...! (Yes, fully agreed.)

I like your finding and elaborating on a bit of the lexicon, here, so I'd go with this.

I wouldn't want to say that this is a characteristic tactic of Eleďî in general, but it's fair to say that some Eleďî would think this way and your pastor is one of them. In your period (3420s) it's also fair to say that the pagan/Eleďe divide is fairly stable and often friendly. So the local pagans might well enjoy the festivities but few would convert.
Great ‒ I’ll do a rewrite. Agreed it makes sense here as a sort of one-off.

Thank you, and I'm glad you have the patience and scrupulosity to work that way. It's a nice example that constraints often enhance an artwork.

FWIW, I am constantly looking up things myself about my own conworld. It's true that I can change things if I need to, but it's nicer to figure out a way to make things work.
You’re welcome, thank you for the excellent constraints!!

On which point...

I came to a hiatus with a planning document [not the one I mentioned recently to you Zomp by email but the one with various music theory ideas in it which I started months ago]. May I bare it to the room? It contains various suggestions for additions to the Verdurian Dictionary and various invented personages... Any and all suggestions welcome ‒ feel free to comment in-document. It may help onlookers to review the lovely home of the Šaileî to digest this one... Everything is still subject to change.

Dažy Čimorië—Táliî—Royî—Etažî—Naure
̂
:)