Almean Tech Timeline

Almea and the Incatena
Collisteru

Almean Tech Timeline

Post by Collisteru »

I seem to remember there being a timeline of inventions on Almea and their dates, but all I can find are the dates for high-tech inventions given in the modern dictionary (https://www.zompist.com/vermodern.htm)? What are the approximate tech levels of the major civilizations in each span of years? Alternatively, are there dates for premodern inventions for the major cultures in Almea?

Thanks!
zompist
Site Admin

Re: Almean Tech Timeline

Post by zompist »

The timeline is in the Historical Atlas of Almea. Since you're on the Patreon, you can see the parts not on zompist.com in this post.
Collisteru

Post by Collisteru »

Right, that's where I saw it. I'm not at home right now so I wasn't able to check The Historical Atlas. Thanks!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

While we're at it, on archive.org , you can find something I made for the Almeopedia back in the 2000s: a Timeline Orientation Help, which compared historical developments on Almea and Earth. Unfortunately, it was still based on the assumption that 3480 on Almea was roughly equivalent to 1750 on Earth. This was later retconned to 1800, which is why the document became outdated, which is why it was removed from the Almeopedia.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090313192 ... ation_Help
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:26 am Unfortunately, it was still based on the assumption that 3480 on Almea was roughly equivalent to 1750 on Earth. This was later retconned to 1800, which is why the document became outdated, which is why it was removed from the Almeopedia.
How much difference is there between the two, really? (It’s not like there’s a 1–1 correspondence between Almean and Terrestrial dates anyway.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

Raphael wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:26 am While we're at it, on archive.org , you can find something I made for the Almeopedia back in the 2000s: a Timeline Orientation Help, which compared historical developments on Almea and Earth. Unfortunately, it was still based on the assumption that 3480 on Almea was roughly equivalent to 1750 on Earth. This was later retconned to 1800, which is why the document became outdated, which is why it was removed from the Almeopedia.

I thought I’d seen this somewhere!

Interestingly enough, you write
...one Almean year of written history in eastern Ereláe is equivalent to about 0.964 Oikumenean years of written history in Europe, the North of Africa, and western Asia
meaning that Almea has developed, if such a comparison can be made, that much slower.

I wondered how much the length of the Almean year might compensate. It is about 87% the number of days as the terrestrial year ‒ while the Almean day is just a little longer.

All in all, that’s an overcompensation: we might modify the claim that Almean history has taken more years than terrestrial history to develop with the observation that if so, it has also taken less time (and fewer days).
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

sasasha wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:20 am I wondered how much the length of the Almean year might compensate. It is about 87% the number of days as the terrestrial year ‒ while the Almean day is just a little longer.
I finally got more precise about the length of the Almean day in the Xurnese System document (on Almea+400). An Almean day is 24.47 of our hours— 1.96% longer.

I've looked all over and can't see an exact length of the Almean day. But assuming that the Verdurian leap-year system is pretty good, it's 328.197 Almean days. (Leap days come every 5 years, so it'd be 328.2, except that years divisible by 300 are not leap years, which makes it a little smaller.)

Thus an Almean year is 8030.98 our our hours. Our year is 8765.81 hours, so the Almean year is 91.62% as long.

(edit: corrected an arithmetic error)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:26 am While we're at it, on archive.org , you can find something I made for the Almeopedia back in the 2000s: a Timeline Orientation Help, which compared historical developments on Almea and Earth. Unfortunately, it was still based on the assumption that 3480 on Almea was roughly equivalent to 1750 on Earth. This was later retconned to 1800, which is why the document became outdated, which is why it was removed from the Almeopedia.

It's a very interesting comparison. I don't think 50 years makes much of a difference either way.
Emily

Post by Emily »

depends on which 50 years — look at 1950 vs 2000!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Emily wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 1:17 pm depends on which 50 years — look at 1950 vs 2000!
Indeed, but it’s explicitly mentioned to be 1750 vs 1800, which I’d say are far less different.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)