Soshul meedja.

Topics that can go away
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: Soshul meedja.

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Depending on what the game was, it might be a translation of a translation.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

ekesleight wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:30 pm
rotting bones wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:41 pmSo there you go: Want to be rich? Unify the people. What's the one thing everyone can agree on is a good thing? Killing Muslims, naturally. Just to be clear, not Muslims like Daniel Haqiqatjou. The police rape and kill peaceful protesters as the "geniuses" cheer on.
One really awful thing about the fact that Western countries are just barely fending off authoritarianism at home (and Russia's general rampage) is that there has been no energy to spare to really confront Modi and what he represents. Without some pressure from the international community, which he has thus far avoided, it would seem he'll be hard to stop.
Macron tried his best to be Modi's close friend, or at least to appear so. It's shameful and depressing.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

rotting bones wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:41 pmSo there you go: Want to be rich? Unify the people. What's the one thing everyone can agree on is a good thing? Killing Muslims, naturally. Just to be clear, not Muslims like Daniel Haqiqatjou. The police rape and kill peaceful protesters as the "geniuses" cheer on.
One really awful thing about the fact that Western countries are just barely fending off authoritarianism at home (and Russia's general rampage) is that there has been no energy to spare to really confront Modi and what he represents. Without some pressure from the international community, which he has thus far avoided, it would seem he'll be hard to stop.
At this point, I'm worried that criticism from the international community might induce Modistan to turn to China. You see, most of the meme fans don't understand why the geniuses are feeding them those memes in particular. The stratagem might have taken on a life of its own by this point.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Ares Land wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:47 am
Macron tried his best to be Modi's close friend, or at least to appear so. It's shameful and depressing.
Cheer up. I oppose guilt on principle.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

rotting bones wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:41 pm
Ares Land wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:09 am We can rephrase this if you prefer... I think what the far right is doing is essentially trolling.

I see the far left is taking up trolling too these days... I don't think it's very useful, myself, though to each their own I guess.
Well, what's your plan? I've spoken to Modi supporters. Like parrots, they refer me to viral memes, although those often take the form of WhatsApp threads. The most intelligent answer I got is that it's important for a country trying to attract foreign investment to be united behind one leader instead of the old Congress coalitions.

So there you go: Want to be rich? Unify the people. What's the one thing everyone can agree on is a good thing? Killing Muslims, naturally. Just to be clear, not Muslims like Daniel Haqiqatjou. The police rape and kill peaceful protesters as the "geniuses" cheer on.
Except that even that doesn't take into account that 1° foreign investments means large companies abusing over people 2° Congress did have majorities. 3° Any proof that one leader gets more foreign investment.
rotting bones wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:48 pm
At this point, I'm worried that criticism from the international community might induce Modistan to turn to China. You see, most of the meme fans don't understand why the geniuses are feeding them those memes in particular. The stratagem might have taken on a life of its own by this point.
Yes, as bad as it is, India (and maybe even China) might help against Russia.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

MacAnDàil wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:36 am Except that even that doesn't take into account that 1° foreign investments means large companies abusing over people 2° Congress did have majorities. 3° Any proof that one leader gets more foreign investment.
1. Under Capitalism, the only thing worse than being exploited by the market is not being exploited by the market. 2. Congress was very famously in a coalition with the Marxists, who tanked the government over their opposition to nuclear non-proliferation.
MacAnDàil wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:36 am Yes, as bad as it is, India (and maybe even China) might help against Russia.
1. Not very likely. 2. Small comfort since I've never been in the vicinity of Europe, and India is a place I may very well have to go back to.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Back to social media, I decided to ditch Twitter and give Mastodon a try. I'm @mathieumri@piaille.fr if you want to say hi. (I'm not terribly active on social media, so there won't be a lot of activity there :))
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

India is maybe not likely to help against Russia but it is more likely than them helping Russia.
Torco

Post by Torco »

Ares Land wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:35 am Back to social media, I decided to ditch Twitter and give Mastodon a try. I'm @mathieumri@piaille.fr if you want to say hi. (I'm not terribly active on social media, so there won't be a lot of activity there :))
how's that work? I understand mastodon is like an archipelago of servers, kinda like discord... that the case?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Torco wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:36 am
Ares Land wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:35 am Back to social media, I decided to ditch Twitter and give Mastodon a try. I'm @mathieumri@piaille.fr if you want to say hi. (I'm not terribly active on social media, so there won't be a lot of activity there :))
how's that work? I understand mastodon is like an archipelago of servers, kinda like discord... that the case?
I don’t use Mastodon, but this is basically my understanding too. The main difference from other platforms is that it’s decentralised — Mastodon nodes (or servers, if you prefer) can be self-hosted, for instance.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Torco wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:36 am
Yep. It's really a lot like Twitter.. except that you join a particular instance (a server or a node if you want; that's what the @piaille.fr part means).

You get a list of instances when you want to join up so you can pick one; it's not that important which one you pick anyway: you can follow people and see messages in most instances.

I could go on in more detail, but I think the more important bit is the experience: it's very quiet and very nerdy.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Are there any special rules for joining a Mastodon node? I think I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that you need an invite?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:23 pm Are there any special rules for joining a Mastodon node? I think I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that you need an invite?
Mastodon is like if Twitter had been invented in 1995. That is, it's a bunch of separately run and hosted instances. Each one has its own invite policy! Some are still swamped, some are accepting signups.

You can follow anyone from anywhere, and you can always change instances later.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:23 pm Are there any special rules for joining a Mastodon node? I think I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that you need an invite?
What zompist said, essentially. You can check the list of servers here: https://joinmastodon.org/servers and filter by language, and based on which are open to new memberships.

I'm pretty happy with Mastodon so far. Many of the accounts I followed back on Twitter made the switch, and the atmosphere's really much nicer.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you, zompist and Ares Land!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Now Musk has said that he'll step down as Twitter CEO as soon as he's "found someone foolish enough to take the job". Why do I have this nagging suspicion that this someone will be some kind of far right scumbag?
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Raphael wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:38 am Now Musk has said that he'll step down as Twitter CEO as soon as he's "found someone foolish enough to take the job". Why do I have this nagging suspicion that this someone will be some kind of far right scumbag?
Giuliani. He seems foolish enough to take on any job.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

hwhatting wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:51 pm Giuliani. He seems foolish enough to take on any job.
Hey, that's a really good point! Why didn't I think of that? Perhaps, if we all it all our vegetables, he'll invite a camera crew to follow him all day on his new job?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I think I haven't laughed like this in a while. (For the record, I'm laughing at Musk, not Þorleifsson.)
lol.jpg
lol.jpg (104.16 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

So now Elon Musk seems to have some kind of Feud with Steve Bannon. Would be poetic justice of a sort if Bannon would manage it to turn the whole MAGA crowd against Musk.