English questions

Natural languages and linguistics
bradrn

Re: English questions

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:05 pm
bradrn wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:01 pm
Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:26 pm Where, exactly, is the line between batter and dough? I used to think it's simply, "If it's for cake, it's batter, and if it's for bread, it's dough". But now I've got the impression that there are some cakes whose starting goo is called "dough" and not "batter", too.
I’d say batter is liquid, and dough is mostly solid.
Then how do I know if a specific type of cake is made from batter or dough, if I've never baked it in my life, and haven't watched anyone else bake it, either?
To a first approximation, cakes have batter. It might be that the recipe for your specific cake calls it ‘dough’, or someone tells you it has ‘dough’, but if I’m not a cook and I don’t have a clue what the recipe will produce, I’d call it ‘batter’.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:05 pm Then how do I know if a specific type of cake is made from batter or dough, if I've never baked it in my life, and haven't watched anyone else bake it, either?
As bradrn said, I'd say a good 90%+ of the time, cake is batter. Waffles, pancakes and crepes are also batter. Most breads, even the somewhat gloopy ones, are dough.
A cat and a linguist.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you!
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:05 pm
bradrn wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:01 pm
Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:26 pm Where, exactly, is the line between batter and dough? I used to think it's simply, "If it's for cake, it's batter, and if it's for bread, it's dough". But now I've got the impression that there are some cakes whose starting goo is called "dough" and not "batter", too.
I’d say batter is liquid, and dough is mostly solid.
Then how do I know if a specific type of cake is made from batter or dough, if I've never baked it in my life, and haven't watched anyone else bake it, either?
If you can knead it, it's dough. If you can't, it's batter.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

That's a good rule, but I don't think it helps Raphael with his problem. When looking at a cake and talking about it, should you say it comes from dough or batter?

I think the default type of cake people are most familiar with is nearly always made from batter, rather than dough. Even "cookie dough cake," upon closer inspection, is made from batter. So I would just assume all cakes are made from batter unless proven otherwise.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you, too!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I am with Linguoboy here - being batter versus dough to me depends on kneadability.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Do people in Britain still use that homophobic slur as a slang term for "cigarette", or has that died out by now?
Darren

Post by Darren »

Raphael wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:47 am Do people in Britain still use that homophobic slur as a slang term for "cigarette", or has that died out by now?
I know some older people who do here in Australia.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

I'm quite sure I've seen it used in books and magazine articles from this decade. Also the fixed phrase at / near the fag end of X (see some recent examples from the Economist). And here are recent examples for the phrase from the Grauniad, so it still seems possible to use it in liberal newspapers.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Interesting. Thank you!
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Raphael wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:47 am Do people in Britain still use that homophobic slur as a slang term for "cigarette", or has that died out by now?
Yes. In my experience it is the commonest meaning of the word.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you!

Unrelated: in electoral processes where there might be several rounds of balloting, do you say that the eventual winner won on the fourth ballot or in the fourth ballot?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I would definitely say "on" the fourth ballot, but "in" the fourth round.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:43 am I would definitely say "on" the fourth ballot, but "in" the fourth round.
Thank you!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

How far has the use of baseball metaphors spread to those parts of the English-speaking world where baseball is not much of a thing? I've been wondering about that ever since, after last year's election in Northern Ireland of all places, Alliance Party leader Naomi Long commented on her party's unusually good result by saying something like (quoting from memory) "I think it's fair to say that we hit it out of the park".
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:01 am … Alliance Party leader Naomi Long commented on her party's unusually good result by saying something like (quoting from memory) "I think it's fair to say that we hit it out of the park".
Wow, I never even realised that had anything to do with baseball at all!

linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

bradrn wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:31 am
Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:01 am … Alliance Party leader Naomi Long commented on her party's unusually good result by saying something like (quoting from memory) "I think it's fair to say that we hit it out of the park".
I'm not a big fan of baseball, but yeah. It came from times when a batter would hit the ball so hard, it literally went outside the area of play and therefore could not be caught. This would allow any runners on the field to run all the bases freely and score points.
A cat and a linguist.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

linguistcat wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:27 am
bradrn wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:31 am
I'm not a big fan of baseball, but yeah. It came from times when a batter would hit the ball so hard, it literally went outside the area of play and therefore could not be caught. This would allow any runners on the field to run all the bases freely and score points.
Yeah, I mean, once I thought about it for a second it was obvious…

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

What is the food that people from the USA mean when they talk about "chile"? I tried to do simply web searches for that, but when I searched for "chile", I just got all kinds of interesting information on the nation of Chile, and when I searched for "chile food", I just got all kinds of interesting information on what people in the nation of Chile eat. Sometimes, on social media, I've seen posts by people from the USA talking about what a great chile they had that day, and I keep wondering what they meant.