The Great Proto-Indo-European Thread's Sequel

Natural languages and linguistics
keenir

Re: The Great Proto-Indo-European Thread's Sequel

Post by keenir »

Hmm...

I'm starting to think that we may need to borrow from physics on this matter -- particularly the structure and nature of atoms. There are, if I recall, three ways to depict an atom, and which one a person uses, is dependant upon what they want to demonstrate or convey.

That or we borrow from light itself: it both is and isn't a wave. :)
keenir

Post by keenir »

bradrn wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:12 amI think you’re misunderstanding what the ‘wave model’ actually means. It doesn’t mean that every branch is strongly related to every other: that would be obviously absurd. Instead, it means that many neighbouring branches can and do share sound changes, in ways that the tree model does not predict happening.

Let’s look at Hindi. Of course, English and Hindi have shared no sound changes in the past, say, 2000 years.
This has me wondering if English and Hindi have shared any sound changes in the time since English has begun to be spoken on the Subcontinent and Hindi in the British Isles. (or do they simply influence one another, creating accents?)
But Hindi has shared sound changes with its neighbours, the other Indic and Iranian languages. Indeed, it shares enough sound changes with the other Indic language that we can group them as a single group, and then enough with Iranian languages that we can be justified in grouping them further as ‘Indo-Iranian’. Further up the cladogram, Indo-Iranian shares some sound changes with Greek, Armenian and possibly others — but not enough to draw any exclusive subgrouping, which is the requirement of the tree model.
if its too few for a grouping or subgrouping, is it enough to call it areal or coincidental?

(or, if its not enough for an exclusive subgrouping, is it enough for suggesting that those sound changes were part - but not all - of their history together before they went their separate ways?)
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

bradrn wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:35 am
dɮ the phoneme wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:59 am (although I still think "language change looks tree-like on large scales" is undeniably true).
On this point, you just need to look at the difficulties with subgrouping in families like PIE. Some people say, for instance, that Greek forms a distinctive subgroup with Indo-Aryan; others have argued for a relationship with Armenian; still others suggest similarities with Albanian. Which of these is correct? The simplest conclusion is that all of these overlapping groupings reflect different parts of the history, with varying degrees of ‘subgroupiness’ (as François calls it) depending on how much they share.
Not to speak of poorly or not attested IE languages, which only left traces in toponymy and loanwords.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Talskubilos wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:15 pm
bradrn wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:35 am
dɮ the phoneme wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:59 am (although I still think "language change looks tree-like on large scales" is undeniably true).
On this point, you just need to look at the difficulties with subgrouping in families like PIE. Some people say, for instance, that Greek forms a distinctive subgroup with Indo-Aryan; others have argued for a relationship with Armenian; still others suggest similarities with Albanian. Which of these is correct? The simplest conclusion is that all of these overlapping groupings reflect different parts of the history, with varying degrees of ‘subgroupiness’ (as François calls it) depending on how much they share.
Not to speak of poorly or not attested IE languages, which only left traces in toponymy and loanwords.
Oh, sure, but even the directly attested languages show this clearly enough.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)