Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Venting thread

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:52 am
And just for the record, actual freedom of speech here in the US specifically pertains to the power the state - private entities can restrict others speech as they see fit, even though some rightists like in Texas are now attempting to use the power of the state to prevent private entities from restricting rightists' speech.
I have very mixed feelings about restrictions on speech by private entities.
Not allowing restrictions on speech by private entities means permitting fascist propaganda online without restriction, or moderation of any sort for that matter. Moderation by its very nature is restriction of speech by private entities.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:12 pm
Not allowing restrictions on speech by private entities means permitting fascist propaganda online without restriction, or moderation of any sort for that matter. Moderation by its very nature is restriction of speech by private entities.
I said I have mixed feelings about restrictions on speech by private entities, not that I'm completely against them. It's a complex matter with no simple answers, IMO.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:17 amRounin Ryuuji: Oh, for that purpose, prestigious literature probably still works better than children's books or cookbooks.
I'm curious what literature you think has enough "prestige" that its mere presence in a home library is more decorative than books that are actually colourful, often large format, and generally richly illustrated.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Raphael wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:17 am Oh, for that purpose, prestigious literature probably still works better than children's books or cookbooks.
I've seen very nice editions of Beatrix Potter, Harry Potter, The Secret Garden, and other children's books that add visual appeal while still being child-readable (though the language in the first and last might be a little old-fashioned now, in the case of Beatrix Potter, the pictures show you what's going on well enough anyway). Cookery-books are also often large and nicely-illustrated, and also serve a practical purpose.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Easton Press makes really good gilt-edge leather-bound volumes. I have most of their Tolkien releases.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Oh, that sounds lovely. I really ought to give Tolkien a reread sometime soon.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:13 pm Oh, that sounds lovely. I really ought to give Tolkien a reread sometime soon.
The Hobbit is fun. Not much conlanging though— mostly direct steals from Old Norse.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

zompist wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:29 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:13 pm Oh, that sounds lovely. I really ought to give Tolkien a reread sometime soon.
The Hobbit is fun. Not much conlanging though— mostly direct steals from Old Norse.
I've experienced a vaguely similar problem in my own fiction — before I started making languages with any degree of seriousness, I named things randomly, then got attached to the names as they were, and now often retrofit things through dialect forms. I've read the whole Lord of the Rings (including The Hobbit before, but it's been a while.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:17 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:12 pm
I said I have mixed feelings about restrictions on speech by private entities, not that I'm completely against them. It's a complex matter with no simple answers, IMO.
I can't say I'm terribly bothered by it to be honest. Unhappy radicals of various sides -- though it's always the far right that complains the loudest -- are entirely free to set up their own media and see who's interested, and as a matter of fact they often do. Besides, I don't see why we seem to have collectively decided that Twitter is the one place for public debate.

From a more pragmatic standpoint any unmoderated or poorly moderated platform will end up overrun by fascists. (I think we all heard the related observation that any bar that doesn't kick out neo-nazis on sight becomes a neo-nazi bar.)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I didn't mean moderating online platforms - I'm all for that. I was more thinking of stuff like firing people for having the wrong opinions. I don't mind doing that to fascists, but if it becomes too widespread and accepted, then, given the prevailing political attitudes among most private sector employers, the various left-of-center camps stand a lot more to lose than to gain from that.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:02 pm I didn't mean moderating online platforms - I'm all for that. I was more thinking of stuff like firing people for having the wrong opinions. I don't mind doing that to fascists, but if it becomes too widespread and accepted, then, given the prevailing political attitudes among most private sector employers, the various left-of-center camps stand a lot more to lose than to gain from that.
I was specifically referring to moderating online platforms. I likewise am against employers being able to fire people for having the wrong views myself, even fascists, because if employers can fire people for having right-wing views they can also fire people for having left-wing views.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Can I ask what world the two of you are living in where employers don't already routinely do this?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:58 pm Can I ask what world the two of you are living in where employers don't already routinely do this?
I was not stating that they did not currently do so (they most certainly do, with how union organizers frequently get fired) but rather that they should not be able to do.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:58 pm Can I ask what world the two of you are living in where employers don't already routinely do this?
In Europe freedom of speech is guaranteed in the workplace and firing people for their political opinions is illegal. (All within reason, of course, you can't mass mail political tracts or run a political campaign from the office; civil servants must strive to be neutral when facing the public)

Of course employers have other means of making things difficult for you.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

It's weirdly uncanny and a bit creepy when two people are talking outside apparently close to one of the windows, but you can't see them anywhere when looking out of the window.
Raholeun

Post by Raholeun »

I just received a rejection letter for a short story I sent in to a magazine. It was very brief, stating only my story did not make the cut. Even though I was determined not to let myself be discouraged by rejection, it does hurt a bit. Also, it would've been nice to get atleast some sort of feedback.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

MY BACK. It HURTS.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:34 pm MY BACK. It HURTS.
I hope you get better!
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:34 pm MY BACK. It HURTS.
I hope you can get it to stop in a quick and reasonable fashion.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raholeun wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:00 am I just received a rejection letter for a short story I sent in to a magazine. It was very brief, stating only my story did not make the cut. Even though I was determined not to let myself be discouraged by rejection, it does hurt a bit. Also, it would've been nice to get atleast some sort of feedback.
Yeah, the lack of feedback comes with the territory, I'm afraid, and it's annoying.
I think the best idea is not to do like me and re-submit the story elsewhere and start working on another.

(I'm woefully incapable of doing this. so basically I submit a story once every four years.)