Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: Random Thread

Post by Raphael »

LingEarth wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:34 am I always thought the western part of the Mediterranean Sea looks like the head of a crocodile.
With the Adriatic Sea as the head of a baby crocodile riding on the main crocodile's back? (I guess crocodiles probably don't do that in real life.)
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Raphael wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:59 am With the Adriatic Sea as the head of a baby crocodile riding on the main crocodile's back? (I guess crocodiles probably don't do that in real life.)
Alligators do. So do gharials, so I'm pretty sure crocodiles do.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Richard W wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:31 pm
Raphael wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:59 am With the Adriatic Sea as the head of a baby crocodile riding on the main crocodile's back? (I guess crocodiles probably don't do that in real life.)
Crocodiles are actually very good parents and often act as safe spots for their young until said young are big enough to somewhat fend for themselves. :D
A cat and a linguist.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

https://www.instagram.com/the.map.art/ might like those ideas .... he didnt do the idea i submitted, but thats OK .... he's either really busy or just has a lot of better ideas to work with. still, he mentioned once that he's running out of countries to draw, so a sea could be a possible way to go forward.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

linguistcat wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:42 am
Richard W wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:31 pm
Crocodiles are actually very good parents and often act as safe spots for their young until said young are big enough to somewhat fend for themselves. :D
Thank you, folks!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

incatena.org is back up and running again! (In readonly mode, since we’ve long since moved here, but it will at least let us access our old posts.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

bradrn wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:24 am incatena.org is back up and running again! (In readonly mode, since we’ve long since moved here, but it will at least let us access our old posts.)
Thank you. I appreciate the effort you all put into getting the project back online .... everything looks good ... no missing posts etc. The avatars were of course not important. What we want is the content.

edit: it seems that some of the links from the front page are broken, but clicking through the forums still works, and i dont see any missing posts.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Pabappa wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:10 am
bradrn wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:24 am incatena.org is back up and running again! (In readonly mode, since we’ve long since moved here, but it will at least let us access our old posts.)
Thank you. I appreciate the effort you all put into getting the project back online .... everything looks good ... no missing posts etc. The avatars were of course not important. What we want is the content.

edit: it seems that some of the links from the front page are broken, but clicking through the forums still works, and i dont see any missing posts.
You’re welcome! I noticed the broken front page links as well… not sure what happened there, but as you note the topics themselves still work.

EDIT: Avatars, ranks and smilies are now back as well. (It was just an extra directory I’d forgotten to copy across.)

zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Many many thanks to Brad for getting the old board back up!

He did all the work btw, I just provided access. I'm not good at phpbb and sql wrangling and I knew it'd be a nightmare if I tried it.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:13 pm He did all the work btw, I just provided access. I'm not good at phpbb and sql wrangling and I knew it'd be a nightmare if I tried it.
A wise decision, in my opinion. It was a nightmare! My ‘favourite’ part was when the database dump I gave zompist didn’t load properly into the server. I eventually ended up starting the import process at night and letting it do its thing while I sleep. I wake up, go to check on the server… huh, weird, it’s only gotten 1/6th of the way into the database. I ended up going to the beach with my family for a couple of hours (the current temperature in Sydney being ‘around 35 °C and feels like ∞’), got back several hours later, let’s check on the database… hmm, isn’t that the same place it was this morning? To my gradually mounting panic, it turns out that the database is importing into the MySQL server at a rate of roughly 2 MiB/hour. This for a 600 MiB database. Eventually, I decide to cancel the whole thing and try again. In fact, I even re-made the database dump, to boot. I do that, scp the new dump to the server, start the import process, let’s see how quickly it’s going now — hey, look at that, it’s already done! So clearly, my original database dump I’d given to zompist was broken enough that I’d wasted a whole 24 hours on trying to import it to MySQL. Aargh.

(On the other hand, this morning I wanted to find an old post by Nortaneous on small consonant systems. I almost decided to delay it to later today, because I would need to find the phpBB folder, and find PHP, and get it all working — until I remembered that it was already running on incatena.org, and I don’t need to run the forum myself any more! Bliss.)

Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Congratulations on the archiving success.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

Cheers Brad! I'm quite enjoying poking around the old board as there was a lot on there I never read. I joined about 8 months before it moved, and in that time I only made 9 posts...
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Thank you, that's great!

Just a minor problem: sometimes the "More" button (to show hidden spoilers) doesn't work.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

quinterbeck wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:35 pm
Cheers Brad! I'm quite enjoying poking around the old board as there was a lot on there I never read. I joined about 8 months before it moved, and in that time I only made 9 posts...
Yep, there is a lot of excellent material there — I learnt a huge amount of linguistics from it. My favourites are probably Polysynthesis for Novices and Short Stories in Risha Cuhbi, but even saying that makes me feel quite guilty about ignoring the many other amazing posts there. (I’ve occasionally thought of making a list of the best posts from the old board, or even editing and compiling them for posterity.)
Ryusenshi wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:38 pm Just a minor problem: sometimes the "More" button (to show hidden spoilers) doesn't work.
Hmm, could you give a link please? I can certainly try fixing it, though of course I can’t make any promises.

Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

I noticed it with Salmoneus's thread about classical composers.
http://www.incatena.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 8#p1145188
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Thanks Brad, that's great!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ryusenshi wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 am I noticed it with Salmoneus's thread about classical composers.
http://www.incatena.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 8#p1145188
Huh, weird! In my local phpBB instance that post works correctly… but then in the database running on incatena.org, it seems to have transformed the content from phpBB to some strange pseudo-HTML thing. Furthermore, it turns out that the content is in fact there — it’s just hidden under a display: none style. (If you right-click then Inspect Element, then remove the per-element styling, it displays just fine.) I shall investigate.

Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

You’ve done wonderfully, bradrn. Thank you!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you, bradrn!
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I bought some cymbals today. Paiste RUDE thin crashes, 17” and 19”.