Elections in various countries

Topics that can go away
mèþru

Re: Elections in various countries

Post by mèþru »

I have a lot of disagreements with Tibi, and I think Israel (well, all countries really) need to move beyond heroes because a lot of communities' heroes are villains to the others.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
tiramisu

Post by tiramisu »

Last edited by tiramisu on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I hardly remember the reason for the Zionist Union being centered on Arab exclusion, although I do remember stoking fears about Arab parties in the coalition because that's Netanyahu's MO.

The Zionist Union and Meretz actually went into talks with the Joint List about forming an alliance, but Odeh said all parties must vote on it and Ta'al and Balad rejected it (the moderate Balad leadership supported it but the extremists had a majority in the party)
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
tiramisu

Post by tiramisu »

Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

mèþru wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:32 pm
Akangka wrote:I just hope Jokowi remains the president of Indonesia.
I think he's the lesser of the two evils, but evil none the less for his support of the further destruction of Indonesia's environment and disregard for the weakest ethnic groups.
So does I. Although controlling Indonesia is much harder than you think. If you want to allow homosexuality, expect outrage. If you protect Chinese, expect outrage. It's hard to protect minority while the majority wants to oppress them. It's like America not too far ago and to lesser extent, currently during Trump's presidency.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

That's definitely how Gabbay thinks, but Herzog had a different policy. Gabbay wants to out-Bibi Bibi, and Havoda will lose a lot of seats because of many of his policies that bring it to the right. Also, I wouldn't trust any Israeli politician's statements on who they'll form a coalition with; these policies are usually tossed out the window after the elections actually happen.
kårroť
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Akangka wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:15 amWhich is weird, because Indonesia is more corrupt
Now I'm curious; can you explain how Indonesia is more corrupt?
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Vijay wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:30 am
Akangka wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:15 amWhich is weird, because Indonesia is more corrupt
https://www.transparency.org/news/featu ... njEALw_wcB

You can see that Indonesia's color is redder, which means it's more corrupt.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47002865
YES
IT'S FINALLY OVER

Not the name I'd have gone with. I prefer "Republic of Paionia" and leaving the name Macedonia to the Greeks. But getting an agreement where they can participate in international politics and don't use just "Macedonia" is worth it.
kårroť
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Im surprised you say that. I thought that pretty much everybody outside Greece sided with Macedonia 100%, and that the common assumption was that regardless of what the official name is, everybody was going to just call the country "Macedonia" with no modifiers. I think this is the stupidest dispute in the world. Greece should have just dropped this long ago and focused on more important things.

Are we not to assume that the name "Macedonia", shorn of modifiers, should heretofore refer to the country?
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

To me, Macedonia means the region in Greece when without modifiers and always will. I have sympathy for all sides except the Greek right-wing politicians and North Macedonian right-wing politicians.
kårroť
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Akangka wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:09 am
Vijay wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:30 am
https://www.transparency.org/news/featu ... njEALw_wcB

You can see that Indonesia's color is redder, which means it's more corrupt.
Maybe that's just because India's wealthier or something? I mean, it has a very long history of international trade, and that kind of intuitively seems to be the pattern they're following in determining which countries are orange rather than red.
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

No, Transparency International are specifically a (highly respected) anti-corruption organisation, not a pro-globalisation group per se. The "pattern" they're following with that map is that the orange countries are where the people surveyed believe there is less corruption; no conspiracy theory is needed here.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Which also makes it an unreliable barometer: people can perceive way more or way less corruption than is actually going on.
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I wonder if Lenin Moreno has taken a position on Maduro.
kårroť
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

mèþru wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:33 am Which also makes it an unreliable barometer: people can perceive way more or way less corruption than is actually going on.
Sure, but there is no reliable information in the world. Would you rather they consult the official corruption statistics?
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Well, there are ways government organisations estimate the amount of unreported crimes, but I get it. I just daubt that Israel, for instance, is that much more corrupt than the US.
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Partially because some forms of corruption that are illegal in Israel are legal in America (mainly thunking about campaign law)
kårroť
tiramisu

Post by tiramisu »

Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Salmoneus wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:39 am No, Transparency International are specifically a (highly respected) anti-corruption organisation, not a pro-globalisation group per se. The "pattern" they're following with that map is that the orange countries are where the people surveyed believe there is less corruption; no conspiracy theory is needed here.
Okay, but I still don't know how they compare corruption in India vs. corruption in Indonesia and what their reasons are for rating them the way they did (i.e. in what ways is Indonesia more corrupt than India?).