Venting thread

Topics that can go away
alice

Re: Venting thread

Post by alice »

The setting has our fifteen-year-old protagonist going to a kind of quasi-magical prep-school/boot camp [1] and having to overcome several obstacles, including various sorts of prejudice and institutional bias, in order to make it through to the end. I happened to be reading a list of "fantasy clichés your story must absolutely avoid at all costs" - probably not a good idea when you have a fragile creative ego - and something very similar to this type of setting was one of them. I duly became beset by visions of potential readers saying "Oh no, not another magical school story" and derisively tossing the book aside, or whatever one does digitally nowadays.

But as some of you have pointed out, which I greatly appreciate, it's the execution which matters, and I feel better about it now.

[1] made maximally distinct wherever possible from a certain popular series written by another Edinburgh-based author, I hasten to point out.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

@alice: I remember reading somewhere that there's only about a dozen different basic plots in world literature and all of them have been used thousands of times. I guess something similar is true for settings. So yes, write in an engaging way, whether it's execution of plot, characters your reader wants to spend time with, fresh ideas, fresh language... and then readers won't care whether they have seen a similar setting before.
(Of course, if your main hero is named Jerry Otter, and he makes friends at that school / camp with a Jon Easily and a Jermayne Ranger, and they defeat an evil necromancer called Mouldewort, than you may really have a problem ;-) )
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

My kid picked up a fantasy comic book series at the library, which involved a boarding school, kids fighting ultimate evil and just about any cliché on these list; plus the premise is It, if It was set in rural France instead of rural Maine.

Tell you what; it was one of the best thing I'd read in a year.

So frankly, who cares if it's a cliché?

I read a fair amount of thriller and detective fiction. Neither the writers nor the readers seem to care one bit about clichés.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

hwhatting wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:39 am
(Of course, if your main hero is named Jerry Otter, and he makes friends at that school / camp with a Jon Easily and a Jermayne Ranger, and they defeat an evil necromancer called Mouldewort, than you may really have a problem ;-) )
Damn, now I want to read a book about someone named Jerry Otter. Preferably an actual otter.
Torco

Post by Torco »

in the year 2037, it was discovered that the way to create general artificial intelligence was to stick GPT-9 to a small mammal. an otter was decided on, mostly because the group didn't have access to mice but lived near lake superior. one of the first acts performed by the resulting otter-cyborg-chatbot-person was to name itself Jerry.
alice

Post by alice »

hwhatting wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:39 am(Of course, if your main hero is named Jerry Otter, and he makes friends at that school / camp with a Jon Easily and a Jermayne Ranger, and they defeat an evil necromancer called Mouldewort, than you may really have a problem ;-) )
Dammit!!! How the hell did you know?
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Sometimes, clichés are clichés because they're fun.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:33 am Sometimes, clichés are clichés because they're fun.
And sometimes, they're present because it would be simply practically impossible to do without them:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... pelessTale
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Some are just a part of reality. People do, in fact, generally sit on chairs.
Torco

Post by Torco »

I wouldn't call that a cliche, though. a cliché is a common figure of speech, or a common language flourish, or a common trope, not a common fact about reality being featured in the narrative... for example, in the Jeremy Robinson novels Infinite and Infinite 2, the first person narrator-protagonist has a few cliches like saying that something "nearly undoes him" when something causes him significant emotional distress. Or like that thing landscape photographers do of including like a branch to make the photo feel deeper and broader, since the subject is far but the branch is near, that's a cliche. having things fall down because of gravity, or having people die when their heart stops, is not a cliche: but the thing where they go for the defibrilator, shout clear, and do the thing with the sound and the arching of the back in order to impress upon the audience that the doctors are fighting against death itself and thus that this is a very dramatic moment, that kind of is.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Much amusing ado over a facetious remark.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

My first review on my blog was about one of these boiler-plate fantasy novels, and believe me, what held it back was not the cliches, but the way the cliches were leaned on as a crutch.

Boarding school is just an inherently good premise for a story. There are plenty of interesting things you can do with that.

Also, if I may put on my cynical publishing industry hat, the representation bandwagon has not left town, yet. You can literally find-and-replace one of your characters to be a trans teenager and get plenty of attention for your story. I'm not saying the Wokes have gone to far; I like representation in literature. I'm just saying this is a fact about the industry you should know if you're trying to make your story feel distinct. If your story is already about discrimination, you can make a publisher very happy by giving them the opportunity to tick new boxes. Publishers love that shit.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

alice wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:22 am The setting has our fifteen-year-old protagonist going to a kind of quasi-magical prep-school/boot camp [1] and having to overcome several obstacles, including various sorts of prejudice and institutional bias, in order to make it through to the end. I happened to be reading a list of "fantasy clichés your story must absolutely avoid at all costs" - probably not a good idea when you have a fragile creative ego - and something very similar to this type of setting was one of them.
Maybe it would help to note that if something has been done 10 times, it's a cliché; if it's been done 100 times, it's a genre.

I was an editor for a humor site for awhile, and editor fatigue is absolutely a thing. You can get really tired of the same idea repeated over and over, and editors sometimes need to vent about this. But, try not to think about editors when you're writing. (Unless you have a particular one you can use for your supervillain.)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I’m done with dating and romance. It only ever leads to failure, and thence heartache, for me.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:10 am I’m done with dating and romance. It only ever leads to failure, and thence heartache, for me.
I'm sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

zompist wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:34 am Maybe it would help to note that if something has been done 10 times, it's a cliché; if it's been done 100 times, it's a genre.
Good point; but I'd argue that there's also something that might be called a kind of "mini-genre".
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:10 am I’m done with dating and romance. It only ever leads to failure, and thence heartache, for me.
Some mood music. I hope for you that the heartache will pass.
Torco

Post by Torco »

sana sana, corazoncito de rana. si no sana hoy sanará mañana.
chris_notts

Post by chris_notts »

Torco wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:04 am
sana sana, corazoncito de rana. si no sana hoy sanará mañana.
I've always heard this version in the context of child ouchies and boo boos:

Cura curita, sana sanita, si no te cura hoy, te curará mañanita
Torco

Post by Torco »

yeah, that's where we use such... what are those things called? nursery rhymes? conventional expressions? spells? don't mean to, ofc, imply your heartache is childish or anything. I hadn't heard that version, tho, where is it from?