Conlang fluency thread

Conworlds and conlangs
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: Conlang fluency thread

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

bradrn wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:38 am (I’m not even going to try translating that into a conlang…)
高しい 意物 在り もう へ𛀁!
「たかしい いゑもうど あり もう へ𛀁!」
Takashi iwemodo ari mo hê!
[t̪ɐ̞̀.kɐ̞́.ɕí̥ í.ʋè̞.mó̞ᵝˑ.d̪ò̞ᵝ ɐ̞́.ɾ̪ʲì mò̞ᵝ çé̞͜è̞]
high.ADJ(="cool", in slang senses) thought.thing(=idea) COPULA.PREDICATIVE BUT EXCLAMATORY-PARTICLE
"But it's a cool idea!"
masako wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:32 pm tatsi kue semye ka
Standing is like annotation?
日本っ咲葩の語 在り はっあ?
「びれっいねしひめいのいふありはっあ?」
Fure-Inĕshîmé no iyu ari haa?
[ɸʉ́ᵝˑ.ɾ̪è̞ í.n̪ɘ̆̀.ɕí͜í.mè̞ n̪ò̞ᵝ í.jỳᵝ ɐ̞́.ɾ̪ʲì xɐ̞́ˑ.ɐ̞̀]
Japan.Ineshîmé GEN language(="Japonic language") copula.PREDICATIVE QUESTION.PARTICLE
"Is that a(nother) Japonic language?"
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Karch wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:26 am
bradrn wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:29 amSikbey fas naal?
this=Q stand where?
Is this [documented] anywhere?
Most of the documentation is on a private discord server, however I've been slowly porting stuff over to Anthologica.
‘Swom yaaylaahnem’ yaazhgzhoomsoo riʔaa.
/swom ˈjaːjˌlaːhnem ˈjaːʒˌɡʒoːmˌsoː ˈriˌʔaː/
swamp 3s.ABS-3s.ERG-cover=REL 3s.ABS-1s.ERG-say-PST.IMPF INT

I was asking specifically about the ‘Pan-Swampish Alphabet’.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

bradrn wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:18 pm ‘Swom yaaylaahnem’ yaazhgzhoomsoo riʔaa.
/swom ˈjaːjˌlaːhnem ˈjaːʒˌɡʒoːmˌsoː ˈriˌʔaː/
swamp 3s.ABS-3s.ERG-cover=REL 3s.ABS-1s.ERG-say-PST.IMPF INT

I was asking specifically about the ‘Pan-Swampish Alphabet’.
Many languages of the Allosphere's Swamp Continent have romanizations that use tone letters and some of <v w c z x q> as vowels - <z q v> /ə ɔ v̩/ in Zzyxwqnp, <x q v> /ɛ ɔ ɵ/ in Zot, <w> /ɯ/ in What, <c v w> /æ ɤ ɯ/ in Kangshi, <v w> /ʌ ɯ/ in Bakhton Rau, etc. The Hluic languages are the main exception - they're mostly atypical for the region in having large consonant inventories, CVC phonotactics with no unwritten epenthetic vowels, both of /j w/, and no tone, so the usual swamp conventions (one letter per sound to unambiguously render clusters in mostly-ASCII, etc.) aren't as useful.

The usual assignments are <x q z v w> /ɛ ɔ ə v̩~ɤ ɯ/, but Kangshi and Rau both have /x q z/.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Karch

Post by Karch »

Mhra is of course not spoken in the Allosphere (even though it might be spoken in a swamp as well), it just happened to fit the swamp conventions quite well, though I did take inspiration from some earlier thoughts I had about romanizing inventories with lots of PoAs, hence the atypical usage of <z j> for /ɳ ɲ/, for example.
Zpaf kkuñb ñvneahttiñ wqxirftvn meof ñfañhsit.
Kkuñb ñvzxirf kvtañb kkuñf ñtmeaq sfañkqeanth.
Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq.
jal

Post by jal »

Imralu wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:33 amWas steht auf dem Schild?
what stand.PRES.3S on DEF.NEUT.DAT sign
What does the sign say.

Wo steht das?
where stand.PRES.3S that.NOM
Where does it say that?
Ray sem ina Olandes (pas dem deklencm)!
The same as in Dutch (except for the declensions)!

Wat staat er op het bord?
Waar staat dat?

JAL
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Karch wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:33 pm Mhra is of course not spoken in the Allosphere (even though it might be spoken in a swamp as well), it just happened to fit the swamp conventions quite well, though I did take inspiration from some earlier thoughts I had about romanizing inventories with lots of PoAs, hence the atypical usage of <z j> for /ɳ ɲ/, for example.
If Kangshi hadn't used <ñ> I probably would've used either <v> or <r> for /ŋ/ in cases where a digraph couldn't work
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
jal

Post by jal »

Nortaneous wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:34 pmIf Kangshi hadn't used <ñ> I probably would've used either <v> or <r> for /ŋ/ in cases where a digraph couldn't work
Dis a go komfon fo so!
That would be very confusing.

JAL
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

雨書:さっあ、俺の 凬書使れは 彼狼間書使れの 前ろう 蒼しい芽 在り、 ほっい!
凬書:「さっあ、いめの ていぜけどうれは せいらをまぜけどうれのかをろう さをしい めい あり ほっい!」
狼間書:Sâ, Imyo no Tezeki-doreya se-Rômazeki-dore no kōro sôshi me ari, hoi!
音書:[s̪ɐ̞́ˑɐ̞̀ | íˑ.mᶣi̯ò̞ᵝ n̪ò̞ᵝ t̪è̞.z̪é̞ˑ.c͡çì̥ d̪ò̞ᵝ.ɾ̪é̞ˑ.jɐ̞̀ s̪è̞.ɾ̪ó̞͜ó̞ᵝ.mɐ̞̀.z̪é̞ˑ.c͡çì̥ d̪ò̞ᵝ.ɾ̪é̞ˑ n̪ò̞ᵝ kó̞͜ó̞ᵝ.ɾ̪ò̞ᵝ s̪ó̞͜ó̞ᵝ.ɕì̥ mé̞ˑ ɐ̞́,ɾ̪ʲì | xó̞ᵝˑì]
訓り書:AFFIRMATIVE-EXCLAMATION 1sg-CASUAL.GENITIVE wind-BOUND.write(=Hiragana) use-NOMINAL.DEFINITE DISTAL.wolf.interval.write(=Roman Alphabet) GENITIVE front.LOCATIVE pale-green.ADJECTIVE-ATTRIBUTIVE bud COPULA.PREDICATIVE EXCLAMATORY PARTICLE
"Indeed, my use of Hiragana pales (literally "is a pale green bud") in the face of that use of the Roman Alphabet!"

Which I have said before (it's really just a historical orthography that used to make sense but doesn't now), but this was a good time to try and work out how comparatives would function, at least between two things. I had considered calquing the Japanese use of の方が (no hō ga), but thought that was rather too obvious, but I rather like the idea of something standing in front of something else as a basis for it.

Some other notes:
More: show
  • The forms 音書 (wotozeki), literally meaning "sound writing" and 訓り書 (wosorizeki), "instructional writing", are fairly transparent renderings of "phonetic alphabet" and "gloss";
  • The pronoun 俺 (imyo) is more generic (and not characteristic of casual registers, as in Japanese) than the spelling would suggest, being in some degree in free variation with 朕 (ime, which is not self-aggrandising or reserved for imperial use) of which it is an etymological doublet; forms spelled 我れ (wore, now an impolite second-person pronoun) and 吾れ (ware, now obsolete except in the plural form) are historically attested;
  • 吾れ (ware) was originally a back-formation from its possessive 吾が (waga) and plural 吾ら (wara), an otherwise regular shift of historical /wa/ > /wo/ being blocked by /a/ in a following syllable. It had numerous derivatives in archaic polite speech, among the most frequent was 吾方れ (wagata(re)) — 方 (-gata) was originally a pronominaliser on its own, but then was regularised with the ubiquitous suffix れ — having a contracted form 吾手(れ) (wata(re)), causing 手 (ta — "hand") to be abstracted out as a pronominaliser, and the development of 吾手方(れ) (watagata(re)); most modern speakers would recognise these, but not use them except facetiously
  • The character 私 is used to write 私しい (wakashi), which means "private, personal" rather than "I, me";
  • The particle ろう (ro), etymologically probably identical to the last element of Japanese 心 (kokoro) and 所 (tokoro), is most commonly used when giving a location of something in reference to something else that (1) can move; or (2) is a part of some larger object (as with — "front");
  • Compare other particles: べい、べ (be or myo), meaning "in, at (a place, not a time)", connected with Japanese particle へ (e), "to"; に (ni), meaning "at (a time, not a place, though it appears in some fossilised expressions with other meanings, as 方に katani — "on the way to", as opposed to 方ろう kataro — "in the style of, after the manner of")" or "under the circumstances that, when".
  • The lative particle is けい、け (ke, kyo, connected to 来ふ kyō — "to come");
  • The っ ("small tsu") doesn't actually represent elision, but rather a sort of separator that looks more like a squiggle in the handwriting I picture the native speakers of the language using; it's mostly used in words like さっあ (saa) and ほっい (hoi) to indicate a marked disyllabic pronunciation without any of the interactions vowels tend to do if you juxtapose them directly;
  • The language has rather a lot of exclamatory particles (I enjoy the flavour these can give to speech); at the end of the sentence, the "h-exclamatories" (hâ, haa, hê, hoi) can be question tags, or, if set apart a bit more, are closer to just space-fillers. I have an idea that they were originally more distinct in meaning than they are now, but haven't worked that out much yet.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Thĩung mimòo blá lulĩiu ék chãi ga niung màe.
/tʰɨ̰ŋ mɪmɔ̀ɔ blɑ́ lʊlɨ̰ɨ ʔɛ́k cʰɑ̰i ɡɑ̄ nɨ̄ŋ mæ̀/
language APASS-create want APPL-work 1S at.time PROX.S CLASS.time EGO
I want to work on conlangs now.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ék mòo thĩung ôm lae sipatupurata kawâa ék hí yí lĩiu yâak màe.
/ʔɛ́k mɔ̀ɔ tʰɨ̰ŋ ʔɔ̤m lǣ sɪpɐtʊpʊɾɐtɑ̄ kɐwɑ̤ɑ ʔɛ́k hí jí lɨ̰ɨ jɑ̤ɑk mæ̀/
1S create language because COMP zeptoforth CAUS-be.frustrated 1S ATTR NEG work be.proper EGO
I am conlanging because I am frustrated with zeptoforth because it is not working properly.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

jal wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:26 am
Nortaneous wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:34 pmIf Kangshi hadn't used <ñ> I probably would've used either <v> or <r> for /ŋ/ in cases where a digraph couldn't work
Dis a go komfon fo so!
That would be very confusing.
Ék krí yí kâ lâum màe hí ngìm niu líu dîu.
/ʔɛ́k kɾí jí kɑ̤ lɑ̤um mæ̀ hí ŋìm nɨ̄ lɨ́ dɨ̤/
1S NEG think idea EGO ATTR mean DIST.S CLASS.saying
I would have no idea what that meant.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:50 pm Ék mòo thĩung ôm lae sipatupurata kawâa ék hí yí lĩiu yâak màe.
/ʔɛ́k mɔ̀ɔ tʰɨ̰ŋ ʔɔ̤m lǣ sɪpɐtʊpʊɾɐtɑ̄ kɐwɑ̤ɑ ʔɛ́k hí jí lɨ̰ɨ jɑ̤ɑk mæ̀/
1S create language because COMP zeptoforth CAUS-be.frustrated 1S ATTR NEG work be.proper EGO
I am conlanging because I am frustrated with zeptoforth because it is not working properly.
Saꞵekrəzīcəyuthiŋ?
/ˈsaβekrəˌziːcəjuˌɹiŋ/
|əʷ-tə-pe-krə-sə-icə-yəthu-ɨŋ|
3s.O-1s.A-NP-IRR-ABL-CAUS-good-Q

Can you make it work? (lit. ‘good’, since I don’t have a translation for ‘work’ yet)

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:07 pm Saꞵekrəzīcəyuthiŋ?
/ˈsaβekrəˌziːcəjuˌɹiŋ/
|əʷ-tə-pe-krə-sə-icə-yəthu-ɨŋ|
3s.O-1s.A-NP-IRR-ABL-CAUS-good-Q

Can you make it work?
Ék krí yí kâ lâum gõuk nã khù nyẽeim màe.
/ʔɛ́k kɾí jí kɑ̤ lɑ̤um go̰k nɑ̰ kʰù ɲḛem mæ̀/
1S NEG think idea about NOM CLASS.process happen EGO
I would have no idea as to what is going on.

Ga gêe cha lô ngéik sãeng sí kló lae ék cha lulĩiu d'âei chèom ũ nyàu.
/ɡɑ̄ gɛ̤ɛ cʰɑ̄ lɔ̤ ŋék sæ̰ŋ sí klɔ́ lǣ ʔɛ́k cʰɑ̄ lʊlɨ̰ɨ ɗæ̤i cʰɜ̀m ʔṵ ɲɑ̀u/
PROX.S CLASS.abstract PAST.PFV INCH fail random DIR after COMP 1S PAST.PFV APPL-work again instruction POSS.3S loop
It started failing randomly after I reworked my loop code.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

雨書:煩しい。
凬書:「いたしい。」
狼間書:Itashi.
音書:[í.t̪ɐ̞́ˑ.ɕì̥]
訓り書:bothersome.PREDICATIVE
"Bothersome."

雨書:斈錶り 季ぎら 硬かり ねふ へへ。
凬書:「さとうとこうり きぎら がたかり ねふ へへ 。」
狼間書:Satotokori chijĕra gatakari nyô hē.
音書:[s̪ɐ̞̀.tò̞ᵝ.t̪ó̞ᵝˑ.kó̞ᵝ.ɾ̪ʲì c͡ɕí.ʑɘ̆̀.ɾ̪ɐ̞̀ gɐ̞̀.t̪ɐ̞̀.kɐ̞́ˑ.ɾ̪ʲì ɲi̯ó̞͜ó̞ᵝ çè̞͜è̞]
訓り書:knowledge.clockwork season.REDUPLICATE.PLURAL difficult.PREDICATIVE SECONDARY-COPULA.PREDICATIVE EXCLAMATORY.PARTICLE
"Technology is sometimes difficult, now isn't it?"
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ŋiimahtsi Sedni waq yelaŋ. Bewaalh ndeqis tlii maag, qasiŋ waq bekhubat; tlamakmbu waalhi ndiyam siphu, besuqeg.

2p=do.PFV-DIM Sydney do stationary. 1s=go.IMPF place INDEF.PL NEG, hurt do.IMPF 1s=stomach; illness=CONTR go.PFV become.PFV finished.thing, 1s=happy.

Sydney has just been placed under lockdown. I am sad as I won’t go anywhere; but I am happy as the virus will soon be gone.

Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

病元きよ 煩しい ほっい。
「わざらもと きよ いたしい ほっい。」
Wazaramoto-cho itashi, hoi.
[ʋɐ̞́.z̪ɐ̞́.ɾ̪ɐ̞̀.mó̞ᵝˑ.t̪ò̞ᵝ.t͡ʃò̞ᵝ í.t̪ɐ̞́ˑ.ɕì̥ | xó̞ᵝˑì]
disease.origin.ALSO bothersome.PREDICATIVE EXCLAMATORY-PARTICLE
"The virus is also bothersome."
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

B'ub'õk hí thà ga mẽ jó râ lae anye yí leeu sí.
/ɓʊɓɔ̰k hí tʰɑ̀ ɡɑ̄ mḛ ɟó ɾɑ̤ lǣ ʔɐɲɛ̄ jí lɘ̄ɘ sí/
COLL-human ATTR be.at PROX.S CLASS.place act like COMP AGT-sick NEG exist DIR
People here are acting as if the virus did not even exist.
Last edited by Travis B. on Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Anye eun yí cha jẽei ẽe b'ub'õk nô inye lai ràe ikhãem hí thà ga mẽ sí.
/ʔɐɲɛ̄ ʔɘ̄n jí cʰɑ̄ ɟḛe ʔɛ̰ɛ ɓʊɓɔ̰k nɔ̤ ʔɪɲɛ̄ lɑ̄i ɾæ̀ ʔɪkʰæ̰m hí tʰɑ̀ ɡɑ̄ mḛ sí/
AGT-be.sick ANTI NEG PST.PFV take DAT COLL-human much RESULT-be.sick EMPH or RESULT-be.dead ATTR be.at PROX.S CLASS.place DIR
Most people here who are getting very sick or who are dying have not been given the vaccine.
Last edited by Travis B. on Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

雨書:病元が 不ひ をと 意る者ら 愚こうり ねふ ほっい!
凬書:「わずらもうとが ぜひ をと いゑるとりら をろこうり ねふ ほっい!」
狼間書:Wazaramoto-ga zei woto iweru-torimora workori nyō hoi!
音書:[ʋɐ̞́.z̪ɐ̞́.ɾ̪ɐ̞̀.mó̞ᵝˑ.t̪ò̞ᵝ.gɐ̞̀ z̪é̞͜é̞ wò̞ᵝ.t̪ó̞ᵝˑ í.ʋé̞ᵝˑ.ɾ̪ʉ̀ᵝ t̪ó̞ᵝ.ɾ̪ʲì.ɾ̪ɐ̞́ˑ wó̞ᵝɾ̪.kó̞ᵝˑ.ɾ̪ʲì ɲi̯ó̞͜ó̞ᵝ xòᵝˑì]
訓り書:disease.origin(=virus/pathogen).INDEFINITE not-exist.PREDICATIVE quotation-particle think.ADNOMINAL person.DEFINITE-PLURAL stupid.PREDICATIVE auxiliary-copula.PREDICATIVE EXCLAMATORY-PARTICLE
"The people who think the virus doesn't exist are really very stupid." (Literally: "(The) virus-does-not-exist-thinking-people stupid are very.")

Structural Notes:
  • The basic sentence structure is not extremely different from Japanese, being usually subject-object-verb, with the predicate usually in final position, however, the use of particles sometimes differs significantly:
  • が (ga) only appears in Ineshîmé as a generic nominative marker in certain subordinate clauses, in which position it is fossilised; in independent clauses, it functions far more similarly to an indefinite article. As an independent clause, 病元が 不ひ (Wazaramoto-ga zei) would mean "A virus does not exist", or, more normatively, "There is not a virus (in this specific instance or place)", where "The virus does not exist" would be 病元は 不ひ (Wazaramotowa zei), and "Viruses don't exist" would be 病元 不ひ (Wazaramoto zei); compare also 病元が 居り (Wazaramoto-ga wiri) — "there is a virus, you have a virus";
  • The negative copula 不ひ (zei, zê), "to not exist" serves as an incomplete suppletive of the usual copula 在り (ari) having the expected negative form 在れず (arezu) when speaking of something not being something else, but the negative 不ひ (zei, zê) when speaking of non-existence, in which case it also sometimes suppletes 居り (wiri) in the senses "be somewhere, be in a place", however in the literal sense sit, which is poetic or archaic (supplanted by 居れる wireru, a lower monograde derivative of the same root), the negative is still 居れず (wirezu);
  • The definite plural marker ら (ra) remains common and productive; it often bears the strongest "weight" and partial lengthening in words whose final syllable has an initial r-;
  • The form workori is not a typographical error. While most words with syllables ending in /r/ are loanwords, a few, chiefly those derived from archaic verbal stems, do not; the o-series of Tezeki tended to represent syllables with weak vowels, especially after p t k s r, whence the frequent use of sequences in -おう (this was historically -おぅ, but the later disappearance of most medial -h- and -f- resulted in the replacement of written う for a full mora with ふ; old instances of plain "e" now spelled えい, あい were also historically えぃ, あぃ);
  • Continuing to develop the language, I'm mostly playing the pitch accent by ear, and simply doing what "feels" intuitively right; I probably ought to work on articulating rules for it, but it seems very complicated.

Etymological Notes:
  • The first element in 病元 (wazaramoto), 病 (wazara), usually means "any sort of ailment or distress (not necessarily physiological)", compare Japanese 患う (wazurau — "to be ill, to suffer from"), the shift of the middle element from zu to za is presumably under the influence of the surrounding vowels, which also block expected initial shift of */wo/ > */wa/; a doublet form, showing expected developments, 患 (wozu, the -ra being probably dropped, being mistaken for the definite plural marker) also appears, meaning "distress, anxiety, suffering, being troubled by something", has verbal derivatives 患す (wozusu — "to pain, to grieve, to inflict suffering")、患わる (wozoru — "to suffer, to be pained, to be afflicted"); the form 病元 means "cause of suffering or (usually physical) distress; pathogen" more generally, but the word for "virus" specifically is the much longer 錶りかり病元 (wozorikari wazaramoto — literally "clockwork-resembling pathogen"). The second element 元 (moto) "source, origin" is orthographically, and nearly phonetically, identical to its Japanese cognate 元 (moto; sometimes graphically also 本).
  • The negative copula 不ひ (zei, zê), "to not exist" is an elaboration of the negative verbal ending ず (zu, compare with the graphically-identical Classical Japanese negative) or its variant ぜう (zeu), both of which remain productive and conjugable for a wide variety of forms in Ineshîmé. The predicative in -i rather than -u or -eu is analogical with various stative verbs, this being the only one that does not end in ri;
  • The particle をと (woto) is somewhat formal, representing a fusion of the particle と (to), which has only archaic use as a quotation particle (compare the modern Japanese use) and を (wo, compare with the modern Japanese accusative particle), which has supplanted it for quotations (probably as a result of substratum influence);
  • The initial element 意 (iwe) in 意る (iweru) "to think, to imagine, to believe" is cognate to Japanese 夢 (yume, in older varieties ime), having undergone a semantic shift from "dream" to "hold in mind, imagine" to "imagine, think, believe", compare 意物 (iwemodo — "thought, impression, idea"); supplanted in the sense of "dream" by 夢 (nin — "dream, deep sleep"), 夢芽 (nime, now more usually meaning "poppy", literally "sleep-bud, dream-bud"); 夢葩 (ninnîme — "sleep-flower, sleep-blossom"); 夢花 (ninzaki — "sleep-flower"); sense of "nightmare, bad dream" in 悪夢 (worunin, "bad dream"), 恐れ夢 (wosorenin, "scary dream"), 夢悪草 (ninworugusa) or 夢萊 (ninwogu), both literally "dream-weed, sleep-weed";
  • The "secondary copula" ねふ (nyô, nyō; the orthographic form is analogical, and the suffix is really simply the verb formant う u) is connected with the "conjunct verb" showing the forms ぬ, ね, ねい (nu, nyo, ne — "which is"), and has only limited use normally; however it frequently follows adjectives in わり, かり and other derivatives of the primary copula, in which context it tends to be a mild to moderate intensifier, like really, really very, or, when following a verb, something like certainly, surely in their softening senses;
  • The particle ほっい (hoi) shows up so much partly because I think it has such potential for expressive quality, and I'm for some reason overly fond of the way it sounds; it's purely onomatopoeic.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Líu som yí ngá kâ lae b'ub'õk hâe lae anye yí leeu né lae b'ub'õk hâe lae ju bã rẽe yí inye.
/lɨ́ sɔ̄m jí ŋɑ́ kɑ̤ lǣ ɓʊɓɔ̰k hæ̤ lǣ ʔɐɲɛ̄ jí lɘ̄ɘ nɛ́ lǣ ɓʊɓɔ̰k hæ̤ lǣ ɟū bɑ̰ ɾɛ̰ɛ jí ʔɪɲɛ̄/
DIST.S CLASS.idea NEG equal DED COMP COLL-human believe COMP AGT-be.sick NEG exist but COMP COLL-human believe COMP DIST.P CLASS.people FUT.PFV NEG RESULT-be.sick
It is not that people think the virus does not exist but rather that people think they won't get sick.