The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Space60

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by Space60 »

The Cockney accent traditionally has yod-dropping in the same environments as American English. After /n/, /d/, and /t/ in "new", "due", and "tube". I have read that while they still have yod-dropping after /n/ in words like "new", they are more likely to have yod-coalescence than yod-dropping in words like "due" and "tune" these days.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Space60 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:24 pm The Cockney accent traditionally has yod-dropping in the same environments as American English. After /n/, /d/, and /t/ in "new", "due", and "tube". I have read that while they still have yod-dropping after /n/ in words like "new", they are more likely to have yod-coalescence than yod-dropping in words like "due" and "tune" these days.
Yeah, yod dropping in new (and I suppose other /nj/ words) is still reasonably common, not just in London but more generally in eastern England; IIRC I've heard it from someone from as far north as Nottingham. I've hardly ever heard yod dropping in /tj/ or /dj/ words from BrE speakers, though I did have a university friend from Norfolk (the world capital of yod dropping; the traditional local dialect drops it after all consonants, not just coronals) who pronounced stupid as [ˈstʉːpɪd].
Space60

Post by Space60 »

""Illinois"

It is pronounced "ill annoy" in Illinois, however many people elsewhere say "ill a noise" which many find annoying and it makes more noise.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Space60 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:13 pm ""Illinois"

It is pronounced "ill annoy" in Illinois, however many people elsewhere say "ill a noise" which many find annoying and it makes more noise.
In the dialect here in southeastern Wisconsin it is /ˈɛləˌnɔɪ/, which for me is [ˈɜːɰɘ̃ːˌnɔ(ː)ɪ̯].
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:32 pm

In the dialect here in southeastern Wisconsin it is /ˈɛləˌnɔɪ/, which for me is [ˈɜːɰɘ̃ːˌnɔ(ː)ɪ̯].
Interesting. How do you say "milk", "pillow", and "vanilla"? I know some say them like "melk", "pellow", and "vanella".
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Space60 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:10 pm
Travis B. wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:32 pm

Interesting. How do you say "milk", "pillow", and "vanilla"? I know some say them like "melk", "pellow", and "vanella".
I have /ˈmɪlk/ [ˈmɘɯ̯ʔk] but my mother, who is from Kenosha, has /ˈmɛlk/ [ˈmɜɯ̯ʔk]. As for the others, I am only familiar with /ˈpɪlo/ [ˈpʰɘːɰo(ː)] and /vəˈnɪlə/ [vɘ̃ːˈnɘːɰə(ː)].
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Shouldn't it be Ill-uh-nwa?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

foxcatdog wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:34 pm Shouldn't it be Ill-uh-nwa?
Just because a place name is French in origin doesn't mean we pronounce like modern-day Parisians would.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:25 pm
Just because a place name is French in origin doesn't mean we pronounce like modern-day Parisians would.
It's Algonquian. (Wiktionary derives it ultimately from Miami ilenweewa, glossed "he speaks the regular way".) There's little French about it other than the spelling.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

anteallach wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:45 am
It's Algonquian. (Wiktionary derives it ultimately from Miami ilenweewa, glossed "he speaks the regular way".) There's little French about it other than the spelling.
In other words, the spelling Illinois is a relic of the period before the French Revolution shifted the common pronunciation of oi from [wɛ] to [wa] (originally a lower-class Parisian pronunciation). Some other local placenames preserve this pronunciation, e.g. the Courtois, a creek in east central Missouri locally known as the /ˈkɝtəˌweɪ/. It's also found sporadically in the pronunciation of North American French. (For instance, in the dialect of Cajun French I'm most familiar with, it's found in soixante but not poisson.)

In general, Illinois (and the Midwest in general) has a lot of spelling pronunciations of toponyms dating from the French Colonial era, probably due to the heavy influx of later immigrants. I would be interesting to know if /ˌɪlənəˈweɪ/ was ever an attested English pronunciation or not.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:42 pm
In other words, the spelling Illinois is a relic of the period before the French Revolution shifted the common pronunciation of oi from [wɛ] to [wa] (originally a lower-class Parisian pronunciation). Some other local placenames preserve this pronunciation, e.g. the Courtois, a creek in east central Missouri locally known as the /ˈkɝtəˌweɪ/. It's also found sporadically in the pronunciation of North American French. (For instance, in the dialect of Cajun French I'm most familiar with, it's found in soixante but not poisson.)

In general, Illinois (and the Midwest in general) has a lot of spelling pronunciations of toponyms dating from the French Colonial era, probably due to the heavy influx of later immigrants. I would be interesting to know if /ˌɪlənəˈweɪ/ was ever an attested English pronunciation or not.
One thing to remember about Midwestern toponyms is that there are a few notable placenames where orthographic <ch> is pronounced /ʃ/ such as Chicago and Michigan (but not Okauchee, by where I live, which has /tʃ/). Chicago with /tʃ/ in particular grates my ears to no end.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Well yes - I meant to say that the spelling of a place name is French in origin.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:28 pmOne thing to remember about Midwestern toponyms is that there are a few notable placenames where orthographic <ch> is pronounced /ʃ/ such as Chicago and Michigan (but not Okauchee, by where I live, which has /tʃ/). Chicago with /tʃ/ in particular grates my ears to no end.
What I find more irritating is the hyperforeign pronunciation of <ch> as /ʃ/ in languages where the orthography is not at all derived from French. In the USA, you hear this with Spanish names like Chavez, Italian ones like de Chirico, and even North Indian names like Chandigarh.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:25 pm
Travis B. wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:28 pmOne thing to remember about Midwestern toponyms is that there are a few notable placenames where orthographic <ch> is pronounced /ʃ/ such as Chicago and Michigan (but not Okauchee, by where I live, which has /tʃ/). Chicago with /tʃ/ in particular grates my ears to no end.
What I find more irritating is the hyperforeign pronunciation of <ch> as /ʃ/ in languages where the orthography is not at all derived from French. In the USA, you hear this with Spanish names like Chavez, Italian ones like de Chirico, and even North Indian names like Chandigarh.
Agreed completely - and another example of this which grates me, albeit with <j> rather than <ch>, is Bei/ʒ/ing where Bei/dʒ/ing would be closer to the native Mandarin.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:31 pmAgreed completely - and another example of this which grates me, albeit with <j> rather than <ch>, is Bei/ʒ/ing where Bei/dʒ/ing would be closer to the native Mandarin.
This is also common (and slightly more understandable) with Hanyu Pinyin <zh>. Last week I watched a video where someone repeatedly said "Su[ʒ]ou" and it put my teeth on edge.

I've also heard hyperforeign /ʒ/ in Italian and North Indian names and unassimilated borrowings.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:12 pm
Travis B. wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:31 pmAgreed completely - and another example of this which grates me, albeit with <j> rather than <ch>, is Bei/ʒ/ing where Bei/dʒ/ing would be closer to the native Mandarin.
This is also common (and slightly more understandable) with Hanyu Pinyin <zh>. Last week I watched a video where someone repeatedly said "Su[ʒ]ou" and it put my teeth on edge.

I've also heard hyperforeign /ʒ/ in Italian and North Indian names and unassimilated borrowings.
I would say that /ʒ/ for Hanyu Pinyin <zh> is much more understandable given the set English convention of writing /ʒ/ in languages not typically written with Latin script (e.g. Cyrillic) with <zh> combined with most native English-speakers not knowing how Hanyu Pinyin works (just find a native English-speaker without much exposure to Mandarin who knows how to pronounce Pinyin <x>, <q>, <c>, or <z>).
Space60

Post by Space60 »

There are people who say "coup de grace" as "coo de grah" rather than "coo de grahss".

Yes, in French an "s" at the end of a word is typically silent, but "coup de grace" doesn't end in an "s".
Darren

Post by Darren »

My favourite was someone saying kharkovchanka starting with /tʃ/.

I think the thing with /ʒ/ is that English speakers think of it as a "foreign" sound, so they overcorrect by inserting it in foreign words. When my class started learning Spanish, their most common pronunciation of written <j> was as /ʒ/, even though they had never learnt French or anything. I'm not entirely sure why /ʒ/ in particular has this association – I assume it's a combination of being a phoneme found in English, but only prominently in foreign words. It's also pretty obivious in Russian and French, which are probably the most common foreign accents in movies (at least historically).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Darren wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:20 am My favourite was someone saying kharkovchanka starting with /tʃ/.

I think the thing with /ʒ/ is that English speakers think of it as a "foreign" sound, so they overcorrect by inserting it in foreign words. When my class started learning Spanish, their most common pronunciation of written <j> was as /ʒ/, even though they had never learnt French or anything. I'm not entirely sure why /ʒ/ in particular has this association – I assume it's a combination of being a phoneme found in English, but only prominently in foreign words. It's also pretty obivious in Russian and French, which are probably the most common foreign accents in movies (at least historically).
Thing is, in real live French loanwords in English that in the original French had (particularly final) /ʒ/, oftentimes native English-speakers replace it with /dʒ/, such as in garage...
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:54 am
Darren wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:20 am My favourite was someone saying kharkovchanka starting with /tʃ/.

Thing is, in real live French loanwords in English that in the original French had (particularly final) /ʒ/, oftentimes native English-speakers replace it with /dʒ/, such as in garage...
I do have [gəˈɹɑːʒ] for garage, but I do hear the [dʒ] pronunciation not infrequently.