Conworld random thread

Conworlds and conlangs
Raphael

Re: Conworld random thread

Post by Raphael »

I have a question about Arabic calligraphy for a science fiction project.

If you've seen some Arabic calligraphy, you probably know that words or short texts written in it can often take shapes that are quite different from the shape of a word or short text in plain, non-calligraphic Arabic letters. So my question is, would it be possible to design a symbol, emblem, or logo that contains a few words in Arabic calligraphy forming a semicircle that would look somewhat like the lower half of a Latin "U", and would be wrapped around the same few words written in Chinese characters? Would it be possible to do that without violating the usual norms and conventions of Arabic calligraphy?

I'm thinking of something roughly looking like this, except of course with more neat, orderly, and elegant shapes than I've managed to draw:
fl.png
fl.png (6.28 KiB) Viewed 5074 times
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Probably not what you wanted, but have you noticed that the overall shape looks like like an isolated teh (ت)?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

[Looks around part skeptically, part hopefully]

Bump?
Raphael wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:50 am I have a question about Arabic calligraphy for a science fiction project.

If you've seen some Arabic calligraphy, you probably know that words or short texts written in it can often take shapes that are quite different from the shape of a word or short text in plain, non-calligraphic Arabic letters. So my question is, would it be possible to design a symbol, emblem, or logo that contains a few words in Arabic calligraphy forming a semicircle that would look somewhat like the lower half of a Latin "U", and would be wrapped around the same few words written in Chinese characters? Would it be possible to do that without violating the usual norms and conventions of Arabic calligraphy?

I'm thinking of something roughly looking like this, except of course with more neat, orderly, and elegant shapes than I've managed to draw:

fl.png
keenir

Post by keenir »

Raphael wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:52 am [Looks around part skeptically, part hopefully]

Bump?
Raphael wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:50 am I have a question about Arabic calligraphy for a science fiction project.

fl.png
if i recall, I've seen something like this -- only instead of being wrapped around text in another script*, it was wrapped around ...i wanna say a painting or photo of a tulip.

I think this applies; though for all i know, it only applies to solid objects...sorry.

* = I think there was a wall or a painting with Arabic calligraphy and Kufic...but I saw it before I learned how many kinds of font/script there were for Arabic, so maybe it genuinely was, and maybe my brain is trying to impose a pattern on part of a memory.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Also, traditional Japanese and Chinese calligraphy would be read from top to bottom, so I would expect the characters to be placed vertically rather than horizontally.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thanks to both of you, interesting!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Long ago, for a science fiction project (this one, to be precise https://www.verduria.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1132 ), I had the idea that there might be an alien species that, in environments with human-breathable air, would still be able to walk around with a spacesuit, but would still need tubes up their noses in order to breathe.

Now, would something like actually be possible?
keenir

Post by keenir »

Raphael wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:45 pmLong ago, for a science fiction project (this one, to be precise https://www.verduria.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1132 ), I had the idea that there might be an alien species that, in environments with human-breathable air, would still be able to walk around with a spacesuit, but would still need tubes up their noses in order to breathe.

Now, would something like actually be possible?
Sure.
Though do they need the tubes up the nose, when they have a spacesuit on? (or does the spacesuit lack a helmet?)

Maybe they use a scuba-style mouthpiece for their mouth or nose?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Aaaaaaargh!! Stupis mistype! I meant to write "without a spacesuit!
jal

Post by jal »

Raphael wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:56 pmAaaaaaargh!! Stupis mistype! I meant to write "without a spacesuit!
That wouldn't be any different from people with impaired lungs that use extra oxygen?

JAL
LingEarth

Post by LingEarth »

As long as our air isn't actually poisonous to them, I'd think it would work fine.
LingEarth the Earthling

she/her
keenir

Post by keenir »

LingEarth wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:47 am As long as our air isn't actually poisonous to them, I'd think it would work fine.
...or has something they consider an irritant or allergen.
Raphael wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:56 pm Aaaaaaargh!! Stupis mistype! I meant to write "without a spacesuit!
we all make mistakes; no worries.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you all! And of course it turns out that I mistyped a comment I made on mistyping.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

10 Minutes in paint got me this.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I assume that the philosophy that it expresses took a bit longer to work out?
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Raphael wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:42 am I assume that the philosophy that it expresses took a bit longer to work out?
Not really i just like elemental magic systems :D . You get the combinations because usually if you wield Sky and Earth at the same time you can usually wield Lightning and such (though what does "Emerald" magic grant you). The 5 primary elements get sick ass dragons (good for worship cause they're really big and powerful) though the void ones originate from the creator goddesses void sister rather than herself. There's also Spark which is what actually exists in opposition to Void (tho the Void Dragon and her "Corona" Void Sister also get some cool other powers which mere users of Void magic don't get) which has users you could count on your hands (namely the creator goddess or "First Dragon" her original husband "The Night", the 5 Corona Dragons of each element, the Big Bad (pending cooler names) and his Daughter (who stole it from a corrupted Earth Corona Dragon). "Sparks" limited use has stuff to do with Big Bad using it for Bad (he still stole it though Creator Goddess originally intended to give everyone it). Current storyline is set in the 3rd age (named after the Corona Dragons in power) and involves 3 brothers and a princess from a foreign kingdom trying to undo the bad set in motion by the Big Bads Daughter. The conclusion will probably involve lots of Dragon Death and the ending of the third age (since once one Corona Dragon other than the Void one dies the others have to die in say a few hundred years).
keenir

Post by keenir »

Not sure I understand how these are different elements....such as, how does the sun differ from light, or dust from earth?
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Does anyone think there is a way for an alien that evolves to live in an aquatic (and only aquatic) environment to develop a technological civilization? How would a species that can't make fire develop advanced technology?
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:08 am Does anyone think there is a way for an alien that evolves to live in an aquatic (and only aquatic) environment to develop a technological civilization? How would a species that can't make fire develop advanced technology?
No.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

What are you defining as "advanced technology"? Certainly their development of technology would be different from ours, but whether or not they would develop "advanced" technology depends on what that means.