Help design a science-fictional government!

Conworlds and conlangs
Ares Land

Re: Help design a science-fictional government!

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:59 am
mèþru wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:27 pm I think most libertarians aren't so philosophical and are more moderate than the writers of the movement
It is kinda weird how people use "economically right-leaning, culturally left-leaning" and "in favor of abolishing or almost abolishing the government" interchangeably.
As far I could see (among European libertarians, maybe things are different in the US?) being 'culturally / socially liberal' is mostly a facade put up to attract younger folks. Gay marriage? Not a priority. Immigrants? Keep on turning them away and maybe they'll reconsider when all welfare is abolished and everyone has a gun.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ars Lande wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 am
Raphael wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:59 am
mèþru wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:27 pm I think most libertarians aren't so philosophical and are more moderate than the writers of the movement
It is kinda weird how people use "economically right-leaning, culturally left-leaning" and "in favor of abolishing or almost abolishing the government" interchangeably.
As far I could see (among European libertarians, maybe things are different in the US?)
I'm on the record as calling continental European liberals "a kind of watered-down libertarians", by US standards - I wouldn't call them simply libertarians without modifiers.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:15 am I'm on the record as calling continental European liberals "a kind of watered-down libertarians", by US standards - I wouldn't call them simply libertarians without modifiers.
No, no, I'm talking about actual libertarians -- Partei der Vernunft, not FDP if you want. There really aren't a lot of them, but there are some (I met a fair amount of them back when I was studying engineering; computer science always seems to attract these types:))

(There are several varieties of European liberals - I like the ordoliberal model myself, some superficial resemblances aside it doesn't have much to do with libertarianism).
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Ars Lande wrote:As far I could see (among European libertarians, maybe things are different in the US?) being 'culturally / socially liberal' is mostly a facade put up to attract younger folks. Gay marriage? Not a priority. Immigrants? Keep on turning them away and maybe they'll reconsider when all welfare is abolished and everyone has a gun.
It really depends on the person. Definitely tends to be a facade for libertarian politicians, but AFAIK it wasn't as much of a facade back when the Libertarian Party was founded. I'm thinking though of small l-libertarian voters. Some are more focused on cultural issues than economics.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť