the language navbar, also, the language list

Almea and the Incatena
Pabappa

Re: the language navbar, also, the language list

Post by Pabappa »

Ser wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:32 pm Hey Zompist, I was just thinking: all three of the Blink engine (used by Chrome/Edge/Opera), the WebKit engine (used by Safari), and the Gecko and Quantum engines (used by Firefox) still support the <iframe> element, and I'm sure they will still do so for a long time because it was so popular in the past, and, honestly, it's still used to a little extent. You could use that to render the language navbar from a single file in all pages, even though <iframe> is officially deprecated. As discussed above, this was its original intended use after all!
YouTube's embed function still uses <iframe>, so until that changes, <iframe> isnt going away. (Even if they stop using iframe, there will still be probably millions of instances of it scattered across the Web from people who copied the embed code at an earlier time.)

Quoting the rest of the post here because I bumped it off the page:
(The next reasonable alternative would be to allow server-side includes (<!-- #include virtual=" " -->) by fiddling with the configuration of your server, if you're allowed to do that, but iframes would work right away.)
Ser wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:30 amAh, if only... Life has unfortunately gotten in the way as I'm swamped with work, so I've only been able to work on the MediaWiki setup for a couple hours. I'm hoping I'll have time this coming Sunday to get it done.
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:30 am
Ars Lande wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:59 pmThat's very kind of you. In any case, I'm swamped with work as well, so there's really no reason to hurry.
Ah, c'mon, dammit. Well, I couldn't get it done on that day either, and then as time passed it's been placed lower and lower in the priorities... Plus, you (Ars Lande) posted a couple weeks after that you were now using some other thing (the Akana wiki? I don't remember).
Last edited by Pabappa on Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares Land

Re: the language navbar, also, the language list

Post by Ares Land »

Ser wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:32 pm Ah, c'mon, dammit. Well, I couldn't get it done on that day either, and then as time passed it's been placed lower and lower in the priorities... Plus, you (Ars Lande) posted a couple weeks after that you were now using some other thing (the Akana wiki? I don't remember).
No problem at all. Actually, I'm not using anything yet really :D
If you'd like to share what provider, I'd be very interested though.

My current plans (for a certain value of 'current': knowing me, they'll be implemented sometime in the '40's) are to use a local instance of Mediawiki for my personal use, and to export the whole thing as static html.