What do you call ...

Natural languages and linguistics
Raphael

Re: What do you call ...

Post by Raphael »

Ryusenshi wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:09 am What do you call this?

USB-Stick.

(Oddly enough, in this case, the letters "USB" are always pronounced the German way in German, although it is an English acronym. The same goes for the letters in "CD" and "DVD". But in some other English acronyms, such as "CIA" and "FBI", the letters are always pronounced the English way in German.)
zyxw59

Post by zyxw59 »

Flash drive or thumb drive (but it's been years since I've regularly used one, thanks to improvements in the speed and convenience of sending files over the internet)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:29 am
USB-Stick.

(Oddly enough, in this case, the letters "USB" are always pronounced the German way in German, although it is an English acronym. The same goes for the letters in "CD" and "DVD". But in some other English acronyms, such as "CIA" and "FBI", the letters are always pronounced the English way in German.)
In French, we say /se.i.a/ for the CIA, but /ef.bi.aj/ for the FBI. Weird, uh? My personal theory is that the CIA entered public consciousness here through pulp spy novels while we mostly heard of the FBI from TV.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

zyxw59 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:19 am Flash drive or thumb drive (but it's been years since I've regularly used one, thanks to improvements in the speed and convenience of sending files over the internet)
Same.

I think "thumb drive" was preferred at work while my husband tended to use "flash drive". I can't really think what would drive that variation. (Both of us worked in PC environments, for instance.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I would say thumb drive for that sort of drive, whereas flash drive makes me think of larger SSDs.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

I also call it a USB stick
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Data stick or USB stick
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

Pen drive or USB stick.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Thank you guys. I was asking because I heard several non-native speakers call it a pen drive in English, a phrase I had never heard from native speakers before (and it confused me the first time I heard it). I would probably call it a USB key, as a calque of the French clé USB.
Ars Lande wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:07 amIn French, we say /se.i.a/ for the CIA, but /ef.bi.aj/ for the FBI.
Yeah, most initialisms are pronounced as French letters even if they come from English: CD /se.de/, DVD /de.ve.de/, USA /y.ɛs.a/, K.O. /ka.o/, USB /y.ɛs.be/, IP /i.pe/, URL /y.ɛr.ɛl/... As a rock music fan, I get annoyed when people say ZZ Top as /zɛd.zɛd.tɔp/ or JJ Cale as /dʒi.dʒi.kɛl/ (a weird hybrid).

There are few exceptions which are pronounced as in English: FBI as mentioned, BBC as /bi.bi.si/, O.K. as /o.kɛ/. There's also E.T. (as in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial) who's usually pronounced /i.ti/, although in the French dub of the film itself, the character is called /ø.te/.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ryusenshi wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:07 pm As a rock music fan, I get annoyed when people say ZZ Top as /zɛd.zɛd.tɔp/
I would be annoyed too if someone said that, as it's obviously /ˌziˌziˈtɑp/. :P
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Even better with a Texas drawl: [ˌzɪiˌzɪiˈtʰɑɒp]. :D But French people speaking English consistently use [ɔ] for LOT, and it's close enough to the SSBE vowel anyway. I'd be happy with [zi.ziˈtɔp].

(Maybe people don't like this pronunciation because of zizi, a childish word for penis...)
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

Ryusenshi wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:07 pm
Ars Lande wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:07 amIn French, we say /se.i.a/ for the CIA, but /ef.bi.aj/ for the FBI.
Yeah, most initialisms are pronounced as French letters even if they come from English: CD /se.de/, DVD /de.ve.de/, USA /y.ɛs.a/, K.O. /ka.o/, USB /y.ɛs.be/, IP /i.pe/, URL /y.ɛr.ɛl/... As a rock music fan, I get annoyed when people say ZZ Top as /zɛd.zɛd.tɔp/ or JJ Cale as /dʒi.dʒi.kɛl/ (a weird hybrid).

There are few exceptions which are pronounced as in English: FBI as mentioned, BBC as /bi.bi.si/, O.K. as /o.kɛ/. There's also E.T. (as in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial) who's usually pronounced /i.ti/, although in the French dub of the film itself, the character is called /ø.te/.
Calls to mind TGV, pronounced in English with (roughly) the French letter names.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

sasasha wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:34 pmCalls to mind TGV, pronounced in English with (roughly) the French letter names.
Is this common? I say it that way, but I was taught this word by a code-switching bilingual and it's not the only French acronym I do that with,
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

I've never heard it pronounced the English way. And it gets banded around in conversation a fair bit, including on the news, what with everyone trying to fly less and our own government's botched HS2 fiasco.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

TGV is about the only French acronym occasionally used in German, and there, it is usually pronounced (kind of) the French way.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

This part of a glass or mug or cup?
glasboden2.png
glasboden2.png (198.91 KiB) Viewed 34387 times
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:44 pm This part of a glass or mug or cup?
Do you mean the base of it? The part that actually rests on the surface?
Zju

Post by Zju »

The wall? The bottom? Bottoms up!
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

The side, I suppose! I don't think I have a dedicated term for it.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:00 pm
Raphael wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:44 pm This part of a glass or mug or cup?
Do you mean the base of it? The part that actually rests on the surface?
I mean the "inside bottom"; sorrow, I see now that the arrow is not clear at all.

I was mainly wondering about what to say in a drink recipe if it contains an instruction like "Pour in just enough of Ingredient A that the [. . . floor? bottom?] is just barely covered".