Old Hieratic Tarandim, NP: Syntax

Conworlds and conlangs
Ares Land

Re: Old Hieratic Tarandim, NP: Syntax

Post by Ares Land »

Vardelm wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:34 am Cool. The list looks good. Can't say why, but it looks/feels a little different than other ones I've seen. Yeah, there's similarities to other NC systems, but this has it's own vibe going. Nice work.
Thanks! I think what you're picking up is that Bantu had very little influence; they're really measure words and quantifiers as found in Mandarin and allowed to evolve into affixes.
Vardelm wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:34 am
Ars Lande wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:23 am
  • All verbs, stative or dynamic, agree with their patient in class with a class prefix, with slightly different forms depending on whether the class marker is the first or the second prefix on the verb.
  • Verbs also agree with the agent, but agent prefixes use a different system, with direct-inverse marking.
DAMMIT! You beat me to the punch w/ a conlang that has noun classes & direct-inverse marking! :cry: :lol: I haven't seen other conlangs that have that combo, although it seems like there must be at least 1 out there. Definitely looking forward to see this in action!!!
:lol: I've noticed how several of us have posted about with the same ideas in these last few weeks and independently, no less. (I'm positive about that, the basic ideas about the Tarandim languages were already there in the earlier drafts I wrote about ten years ago. Though I like to think the execution is better.) Some ideas are just up in the air I guess. Or an alternate reality is leaking through, who knows?
Vardelm

Re: Old Hieratic Tarandim, NP: Syntax

Post by Vardelm »

Ars Lande wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:05 am Thanks! I think what you're picking up is that Bantu had very little influence; they're really measure words and quantifiers as found in Mandarin and allowed to evolve into affixes.
Makes sense, & cool way to go about this!

Ars Lande wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:23 am :lol: I've noticed how several of us have posted about with the same ideas in these last few weeks and independently, no less. (I'm positive about that, the basic ideas about the Tarandim languages were already there in the earlier drafts I wrote about ten years ago. Though I like to think the execution is better.) Some ideas are just up in the air I guess. Or an alternate reality is leaking through, who knows?
A conlang zeitgeist!

Cool thing is that they're still very different from each other! I think I noted in another thread somewhere that there has been a lot of good work being posted lately. It's fun to see!
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)