What languages are you particularly interested in, and why?

Natural languages and linguistics
Travis B.

Re: What languages are you particularly interested in, and why?

Post by Travis B. »

vegfarandi wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:28 pm Duriac
For a second I read that as "durian".
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

axolotl wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 amThere's also the iconic Sakao, but I've talked about that before.
^ The relevant link, for those who are curious.

EDIT: Fixed the link, urgh.
Last edited by Kuchigakatai on Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Polish – Because heritage.
Latin – Because altum videtur.
Arabic – Originally because I wanted to know what star names meant, but it’s just really cool. I like the emphatic/pharyngeal consonants and the root-and-pattern morphology.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

German - because I feel I can wrap my puny brain around it.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I don't really feel up to trying to learn a new language, but if I would feel up to it, I'd be seriously interested in Korean. That's because I think it might be the language of the two, in very different ways, most interesting places in the world - on the one hand, an isolationist state still practicing pretty much unadulterated Stalinism in the early 21st century, and on the other hand, the as far as I know first country to become a rich country out of all the countries that were poor countries in the mid-20th century. Also, I somehow think that there's something very neat and elegant about a writing system that to some extent is an alphabet, but looks like a syllabary*.

Closer to home, I'm a bit fascinated by how, although I've never formally learned Dutch, I can still sometimes use my knowledge of English, German, and the northwestern dialects of German, to sort of "decipher" some of it in its written form. The same goes, to a lesser extent, for Afrikaans, I guess.

(*Why doesn't my spellcheck recognize the word "syllabary"?)
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:27 amFor instance, out of the East Slavic languages, I prefer Ukrainian to Russian or Belarusian and Croatian (particularly the Dalmatian I used to hear often when living in Hyde Park) is my favourite South Slavic variety
I just noticed this. Does "Dalmatian" here mean Chakavian?
Raholeun

Post by Raholeun »

WeepingElf wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:32 pm I have plans for a Para-Kartvelian [...] language family [...] set in Neolithic Europe.
Please do keep me posted if this plan comes to fruition. Your faux-historical approach has inspired me when developing Sataw and actually committing it to paper. When applied to one of my favorite language families, it is bound to be good!
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Raholeun wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:30 am
WeepingElf wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:32 pm I have plans for a Para-Kartvelian [...] language family [...] set in Neolithic Europe.
Please do keep me posted if this plan comes to fruition. Your faux-historical approach has inspired me when developing Sataw and actually committing it to paper. When applied to one of my favorite language families, it is bound to be good!
Thank you, but don't hold your breath for it. I currently have enough to do with Old Albic, and have other projects besides conlanging too.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Vijay wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:27 amFor instance, out of the East Slavic languages, I prefer Ukrainian to Russian or Belarusian and Croatian (particularly the Dalmatian I used to hear often when living in Hyde Park) is my favourite South Slavic variety
I just noticed this. Does "Dalmatian" here mean Chakavian?
I'm not sure exactly what part of Dalmatia they're from, so their speech could be Chakavian (bzw. Tsakavian) or Shtokavian. (Or mixed, like the dialect of Dubrovnik.)
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I didn't know the Dubrovnik variety was mixed! :shock: I thought that was supposed to be a Shtokavian stronghold or something.