Lexicon Building

Conworlds and conlangs
Yalensky

Re: Lexicon Building

Post by Yalensky »

Nortaneous wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:25 pm Next: dentist
Keševan zillu 'dentist', from zil 'tooth'.

Next word: sulfur
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Nuclear Buru Matala: atav nðus literally yellow rock
Sulfur in its pure form was found in abundance in the region were the speakers of what has been dubbed Nuclear Buru Matala was spoken (indeed it is found in the areas of many of its descendants despite the geographic distance between them. It was known as a yellow rock due to its characteristic colour.

Next: lightning, thunder, rain
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

thethief3 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:33 am Next: lightning, thunder, rain
Keševan zot 'lightning', bum 'rain'. To say that it's raining you say that it 'falls': bum dašu 'rain is falling'. (And zot dašu 'there's lightning out'?)

Calintese drola 'rain', scòvo 'lightning'. You can stick neuter verbal endings on them: drolei 'it's raining'.

Next word: cane, walking stick
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Yalensky wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:15 am

Next word: cane, walking stick
Poswa:

(tabymbas) pebbutos , which means "that by which the lame can walk straight", where the first word is used only for emphasis. I used a word that specifically means "walk straight" just because I liked the way it sounded.

Pabappa:
pomabla , which is just the word for leg (pomap) followed by a handheld object classifier (la).

Gold:
ḳăhʷuya "cane, rod, staff" , which could lead to ḳăxʷuye in Leaper but Im not sure yet how I want to handle /-ya/. /ya/ is cognate to Pabappa's /la/.

Play:
Possibly pafuya , the direct cognate of the Gold word above. However this word does not make it into either Poswa or Pabappa. pafu originally meant "cane" by itself, as above, but in Play coalesced with a word that meant "orbit, walk around, long trip" and therefore lost its original independent meaning as the word was reinterpreted.

Galà:
dăhu , from d- "tool" plus the inherited cognate of the words in Gold and Play.

Baywatch:
Possibly ssēsemi , where /sse/ is yet another cognate of the /kahu/ word above (this branch changed more rapidly than most others), followed by a second word of similar meaning that does not appear in any of the other languages.

next:
to blossom, bloom; to bear ripe fruit
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Nuclear Buru-Matala: luvi samsa (literally to bring fruit)
*samala also means to flower and as well as the noun flower
Fruits were fairly abundant in the region of nuclear Buru-Matala and they formed a decent chunk of their diet. Their is linguistic evidence that the speakers even knew how to manipulate the growth of plants to some degree through they lacked true agriculture (*saɣam "to plant by hand" as opposed to planting naturally *taya).

Next: ocean, deep sea
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

thethief3 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:58 pm Next: ocean, deep sea
Keševan zamba 'sea'. No distinction made between a sea and an ocean.

Calintese rami 'sea', and also the more poetic pummen 'the deep', related to puddi 'deep'.

Next word: modern
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:29 pm next: modern
Kala:

imato - modern; up-to-date; fashionable

pako - be fresh; new; young; meso-; modern

next: to think; to believe; to suppose
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:01 pm next: to think; to believe; to suppose
Keševan sisse, sisu, sita 'think, consider'

Calintese scaxi 'think, believe, suppose'.

next word: mattress
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:50 pm next: mattress
Kala:

topa - bed; couch; mattress

next: nodule; wart
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:36 am next: nodule; wart
Keševan šerča 'wart', from Rasal šera plus a diminutive suffix to help disambiguate from šeru 'neck' and related words.

Next: however
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:29 amnext: however
Kala:

ehe / me - but; yet; however

tola - any/way; some way; how ever; howsoever

next: disaster; misfortune; calamity
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

masako wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:10 am
next: disaster; misfortune; calamity
Tapilula:
tʷòmo tragedy, disaster
ḳĕbe unsafe; forced to flee

A hypothetical compound of these two words would be tʷomoḳŏbo because of vowel harmony, even though the stress moves to the end of the word. (Does anyone know if that's a bad idea? I haven't bothered looking so far because in most of the daughter languages the /e/ and /o/ merge anyway. I figure umlaut is a good precedent for unstressed vowels dominating stressed ones, but it's in the opposite order.)

Play:
The compound word above would be inherited directly as tamakaa, with a potential variant form tamaaa if the first word was reanalyzed as a locative. The morpheme order of Play compounds is the reverse of what it had been in Tapilula, so many opaque compounds were reanalyzed.

If the first form is assumed, the word would then be compounded with ti "dream" to produce

tituamakaa "disaster, calamity, major accident"

Yes, I slipped a /u/ in there, and that is because the original labialization survives in medial position but not in initial position. For the speakers to remember this requires the word to have been in active use, however, so if I chose to make it titamakaa (or titamaaa) I would still be following the diachronic rules properly.

Poswa:
tupampa "calamity, disaster, bad event that changes one's behavior", from Play tituamakaa. Now you see why I wanted the /u/: if there had been no /u/ in the Play word, the Poswa form would have been something like *tižbatša, which I don't care for. But it's okay because even if I assume the Play speakers had in fact dropped the /u/, it could have been restored again because there were many other words with the same alternation to base the analogy on.

Pabappa:
tiptampi "calamity, bad event that is remembered", from Play tituamakaa. There is a potential alternate form
timapi , from Play titamakaa. In this case, the form without the /u/ provides a more harmonious word in the daughter language, so I will go with the second one.

Post by masako »

Pabappa wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:55 pm next: tag on clothing; label
Kala:

tike - tag; label (small inscription)

next: serious; solemn
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Pabappa wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:16 pm next:

particle board
Old Zlang:

tshik yo ham syew
tshiuʔ yo haŋ syew
[tsʰɯʔ jo haɴ sjɤw]
board POSS.3S wood shred.PFV
particle board (lit. shredded wood board)

next: crocodile

(Whoops, didn't realize I was responding to an old post!)
Last edited by Travis B. on Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
masako

Post by masako »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:47 pm next: crocodile
Kala:

uani - alligator; crocodile; gavial

next: with head held high; in high spirits; elation
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

masako wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:39 am
Travis B. wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:47 pm next: crocodile
Kala:

uani - alligator; crocodile; gavial

next: with head held high; in high spirits; elation
Old Zlang:

mbi kwhar
mbi kwhair
[mbi kʷʰɛɻ]
feel.IPFV high
with head held high, in high spirits, elated

next: squirrel
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:04 pm next: squirrel
Keševan žeîtu [ʑi:tɯ] 'squirrel' < Rasal yétsato < Proto-Borvic root meaning 'tail' plus an animal-deriving suffix.

next: chart, table
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Yalensky wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:02 pm

next: chart, table
Poswa:

The Poswobs arent much for mathematics, so they dont have spreadsheets or grids with rows and columns. But they do have calendars, so they're familiar with the basic shape of stacking boxes with writing in them in two dimensions.

To be conservative, I will assume that graphs remain an unfamiliar concept, and translate this word as

puppato taba , "calendar message". There is also puppato tapo if the chart consists of multiple discrete graphs.

However, educated Poswobs and even some uneducated ones will be tempted to analogize this word along the inherited morphological processes of the language, and create instead a single word puppatofa, which means the same as the first word above but makes use of the regular grammatical contraction of unstressed /tab/ > /f/. (This is not unconditional, but happens with more than half of such sequences.)

Alternatively, one could use the phrase

žufap taba , or its variant žufap tapo, which use the same second morphemes but replace the word for calendar with the word for "floor, indoor standing room" (the implication being that it's a tile floor), or even my favorite choice, papapa taba and papapa tapo, which again have the second morphemes the same but replace the first morpheme with a compound that literally means "lip furniture" but refers to a style of tile floor.

But, no, I think I'll stick with puppatofa, because I like to use compounds whenever possible, and have those compounds be transparent when they represent concepts unfamiliar to the relatively primitive Poswob cultural world.

Pabappa:

Most likely would just be a straight-up loan from Poswa, thus producing puppatopa, which would then behave as a normal Pabappa word. A calque, on the other hand, could give munas taba, "calendar message". A potential native coinage is nabubu taba, "spiderweb message", though the fact that that word has no Poswa cognate leads me to believe it might possibly be corrupt.

Late Andanese:
hakuhahu , from haku "drawing, icon, representation" + hahu "syllabary" note to self: this is cognate to "hăhʷe". The Andanese syllabary, having only 30 symbols, was typically presented in a 3x10 grid.
masako

Post by masako »

Pabappa wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:02 pm next: spider web
I actually did this word in 2018 as a sample of Omyatloko.

tlakunase
web-spider
spiderweb; cobweb

The 4 styles of omyatloko; monumental, handwritten; typed; bulletin

next: to direct blindly; to issue confused orders; to give contradictory directions
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

masako wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:07 am

next: to direct blindly; to issue confused orders; to give contradictory directions
My bomb avatars come from a video game I worked on for a few years but I never finished. The bombs are actually animals with explosives in their suits, meaning they *chose* to become bombs to help out the player. They are large but not very mobile, and need the human player's help to get around. And they will guide the player to where the walls they need to blow up are, but because their knowledge is incomplete and far out of date, sometimes the directions they give are wrong. Also, they cant see very well, and sometimes they approach the wrong human and accidentally crush him when he panics in fear.

Late Andanese lakukula "lead like a bomb", from /laku/ "lead, conduct, guide" + /kula/ "bomb". Okay, it doesnt really mean bomb, but it's the word I've picked out that would translate "bomb" if the Andanese were introduced to modern technology. In fact, it means an obedient soldier, one who fights without knowledge of where he goes.

A potential Poswa calque of this word could be popiap, with the same literal meaning, or pompemba, "child parent", i.e. a child who acts as if they are the parent.