Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Travis B.

Re: Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:57 pm No, I do realise how you got [ˈaːõʔ] from I don't — I was just commenting that the result ends up seeming reduced in a rather extreme way.
There's certain words here which get ridiculously reduced in many cases such as probably, for which [ˈpʰʁɑːbɰi(ː)] is the conservative pronunciation...
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:06 am
bradrn wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:57 pm No, I do realise how you got [ˈaːõʔ] from I don't — I was just commenting that the result ends up seeming reduced in a rather extreme way.
There's certain words here which get ridiculously reduced in many cases such as probably, for which [ˈpʰʁɑːbɰi(ː)] is the conservative pronunciation...
For me, the furthest I reduce probably is [ˈpʰɻʷɔbli].
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:14 am
In addition to the very conservative [ˈpʰʁɑːbəːbɰi(ː)], there's also [ˈpʰʁɑːɤ̯iː] and [pʰʁɑːi̯] here.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:21 am

In addition to the very conservative [ˈpʰʁɑːbəːbɰi(ː)], there's also [ˈpʰʁɑːɤ̯iː] and [pʰʁɑːi̯] here.
That’s true — now that you mention it, I will occasionally say [ˈpʰɻʷɔɫi]. But I have no analogue to your [pʰʁɑːi̯].

zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

bradrn wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:31 pm I think it’s fair to say that if I were to hear someone saying something like [ˈaːõʔ], I wouldn’t guess that they were saying I don't.
OK, try listening to this:

https://www.zompist.com/whodidit.wav

(It's me saying "Who did it? I didn't do it.")

As for sandhi, you could get my India book. :) Or go right to the granddaddy of Sanskrit studies, Whitney 1879.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:27 am
bradrn wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:31 pm I think it’s fair to say that if I were to hear someone saying something like [ˈaːõʔ], I wouldn’t guess that they were saying I don't.
OK, try listening to this:

https://www.zompist.com/whodidit.wav

(It's me saying "Who did it? I didn't do it.")
Sounds something like [ɐĭ.n̩.du.ɪt] (rough transcription, I’m not too good at transcribing from audio), and yet I can understand it just fine. So consider that sentence disproven then. (Although maybe that’s just because I have the same reduction.)

(Oh, and by the way, white on blue is surprisingly easy to read — consider using #E1EBF2 next time.)
As for sandhi, you could get my India book. :) Or go right to the granddaddy of Sanskrit studies, Whitney 1879.
A book from 1879 isn’t terribly easy to read, but luckily the Grammar Pile has lots of Sanskrit grammars, with Bucknell’s Sanskrit Manual having a particularly nice treatment of sandhi. But, reading through it, I’m not sure I agree with your earlier characterisation that deletion of reduced vowels is ‘exactly what sandhi does in Sanskrit’ — it looks like sandhi does a whole lot more than just that.

zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Of course it does, that's why I said "among other things". But vowel reduction, as in "I am" > "I'm", is one of the things covered by sandhi. There are plenty of Sanskrit examples.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:51 am Of course it does, that's why I said "among other things". But vowel reduction, as in "I am" > "I'm", is one of the things covered by sandhi. There are plenty of Sanskrit examples.
Oh, sorry — I didn’t notice you said “among other things”! And yes, I agreed that sandhi covers vowel reduction.

bradrn

Post by bradrn »

It appears that I will have to repost this question a third time to get an answer:
bradrn wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:32 am I’ve been reading Li and Thompson’s 1976 article about subject-prominent and topic-prominent languages. In it, they distinguish four types of language:
Li & Thompson wrote: According to our study, there are four basic types of languages: (i) languages that are subject-prominent … (ii) languages that are topic-prominent; (iii) languages that are both subject-prominent and topic-prominent; (iv) languages that are neither subject-prominent nor topic-prominent.
In the article, they discuss types (i) and (ii) quite extensively. However, they don’t seem to comment on how languages of type (iii) or (iv) work. Does anyone have any more information on this?

Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

bradrn wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:55 pmIt appears that I will have to repost this question a third time to get an answer:
And if you strike out, please don't take a fourth swing.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Linguoboy wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:18 pm
bradrn wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:55 pmIt appears that I will have to repost this question a third time to get an answer:
And if you strike out, please don't take a fourth swing.
I’m afraid I don’t understand baseball talk, sorry. (We don’t have much baseball here in Australia.)

KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

It means, "if you still don't get an answer, don't keep trying"
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

KathTheDragon wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:55 pm It means, "if you still don't get an answer, don't keep trying"
It’s just that I asked a bunch of questions at the same time, and only a few of the questions were being answered at a time, which lead to all the other questions being buried under the ensuing discussion. Now that I’m down to only one unanswered question, hopefully there won’t be any discussion for it to be buried under, and I won’t need to ask it again!

aporaporimos

Post by aporaporimos »

bradrn wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:24 am
Travis B. wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:21 am

That’s true — now that you mention it, I will occasionally say [ˈpʰɻʷɔɫi]. But I have no analogue to your [pʰʁɑːi̯].
The [ˈpʰɻʷɔɫi] pronunciation is established enough that it has a written form prolly—I saw it just now in an online chat.
ἀπόλεμος ὅδε γ' ὁ πόλεμος, ἄπορα πόριμος
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

A friend of mine insists that proy better reflects what she hears most often, but she can almost never get anyone to acknowledge that this is what they're actually saying.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:10 pm A friend of mine insists that proy better reflects what she hears most often, but she can almost never get anyone to acknowledge that this is what they're actually saying.
That sounds like it corresponds to Travis’s [pʰʁɑːi̯] realisation.

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:10 pm A friend of mine insists that proy better reflects what she hears most often, but she can almost never get anyone to acknowledge that this is what they're actually saying.
There are a lot of pronunciations which are practically standard here, yet which I have never heard anyone acknowledge (even though I have never heard anyone deny them either), such as [ˈsɛːʁˌde(ː)] and [ˈtʰwʌ̃ːĩ̯].
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:13 pm
There are a lot of pronunciations which are practically standard here, yet which I have never heard anyone acknowledge (even though I have never heard anyone deny them either), such as [ˈsɛːʁˌde(ː)] and [ˈtʰwʌ̃ːĩ̯].
Let me guess: Saturday and twine?

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:14 pm
More: show
They are Saturday and twenty. Twine is just [ˈtʰwã(ː)ẽ̯n].
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:26 pm
bradrn wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:14 pm

More: show
They are Saturday and twenty. Twine is just [ˈtʰwã(ː)ẽ̯n].
Oh, of course — that makes much more sense. (I think it would have been easier to guess if I had heard it in context.)