Confusing headlines

Topics that can go away
bradrn

Re: Confusing headlines

Post by bradrn »

Two confusing headlines on the same day! This one:

Pro-China trolls fake accounts to hound foreign media over coronavirus

I think they’re using ‘fake’ as a verb here, but I’m not entirely sure…
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

"fake" as a verb is the obvious reading to me.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

"Fake" as a verb is the ONLY reading for me.
A cat and a linguist.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

linguistcat wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:58 am "Fake" as a verb is the ONLY reading for me.
You get the other reading if you take "Pro-China" as an NP.

So many of these confusions come from having the same ending for 3s and plural. We should change back to -eth and -en.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

linguistcat wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:58 am "Fake" as a verb is the ONLY reading for me.
It’s the only reading for me as well — I don’t understand zompist’s reading. It just took me a bit of time to figure out that this was the intended reading, which is why I posted the headline here.

zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Suppose it were

China trolls fake accounts to hound foreign media over coronavirus.

In case you still don't see it, the meaning is "China provokes false accounts, in order to (etc.)" Possibly not so salient because it doesn't make much sense as an activity, but it's certainly grammatical.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:56 pm Suppose it were

China trolls fake accounts to hound foreign media over coronavirus.

In case you still don't see it, the meaning is "China provokes false accounts, in order to (etc.)" Possibly not so salient because it doesn't make much sense as an activity, but it's certainly grammatical.
Actually, I do remember considering this interpretation! But since it doesn’t make much sense (as you say), I forgot about it afterwards.

Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Animal Crossing: New Horizons nerfed bug moneymakers spawn rates (Polygon)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Linguoboy wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:49 pm Animal Crossing: New Horizons nerfed bug moneymakers spawn rates (Polygon)
That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

having never played or even seen the game, but being a bit familiar with modern games in general, i am going to say that it means that they fixed a glitch people were exploiting to spawn multiple characters where only one should appear. "nerf" = "to firmly but gently stop an attack". whether the "bug" in this title means glitch or an animal from the game could go either way for me. "moneymakers" should have an apostrophe after the S but a lot of people just dont bother with apostrophes .... including me in most cases.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Pabappa wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:26 pm having never played or even seen the game, but being a bit familiar with modern games in general, i am going to say that it means that they fixed a glitch people were exploiting to spawn multiple characters where only one should appear. "nerf" = "to firmly but gently stop an attack". whether the "bug" in this title means glitch or an animal from the game could go either way for me. "moneymakers" should have an apostrophe after the S but a lot of people just dont bother with apostrophes .... including me in most cases.
I still don’t get it. (BTW I did know what ‘nerf’ means.) To me, ‘bug moneymakers spawn rates’ looks like two nouns and an NP in a row, which doesn’t make sense.

Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

well if you have a video game where you sell animals, you can make in-game money from that game. an avid player of that game could call himself a moneymaker.

and if that game lets the players create/buy/spawn one animal a day, but the avid player finds a glitch in that game that lets him repeat the spawn process ten times a day instead, he could be a "bug moneymaker". and when Nintendo decides to go after players like him, theyll be affecting his spawn rates.

So, Nintendo nerfs the spawn rates of the bug moneymakers. Properly spelt, it could be headlined as Nintendo [name of game] nerfed bug moneymakers' spawn rates. i hope i explained that well because i couldnt really think of a way to do so without simply reusing the words from the headline.

That said, I looked it up and the bug in this case is the literal type ... people are making and selling insects in the game, and apparently it is not a glitch but just an exploit that skilled players were able to take advantage of.

i would have perhaps reordered the headline so that "bug spawn rates" was packed together and "moneymakers' " placed before it or just left out altogether.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Pabappa wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:27 pm well if you have a video game where you sell animals, you can make in-game money from that game. an avid player of that game could call himself a moneymaker.

and if that game lets the players create/buy/spawn one animal a day, but the avid player finds a glitch in that game that lets him repeat the spawn process ten times a day instead, he could be a "bug moneymaker". and when Nintendo decides to go after players like him, theyll be affecting his spawn rates.

So, Nintendo nerfs the spawn rates of the bug moneymakers. Properly spelt, it could be headlined as Nintendo [name of game] nerfed bug moneymakers' spawn rates. i hope i explained that well because i couldnt really think of a way to do so without simply reusing the words from the headline.

That said, I looked it up and the bug in this case is the literal type ... people are making and selling insects in the game, and apparently it is not a glitch but just an exploit that skilled players were able to take advantage of.

i would have perhaps reordered the headline so that "bug spawn rates" was packed together and "moneymakers' " placed before it or just left out altogether.
Thank you, it makes sense now! So it’s meant to be parsed as:

Animal Crossing: [New Horizons] nerfed [[bug moneymakers]’ spawn rates]

I think what tripped me up was the apposition of bug moneymaker; that isn’t something I would normally encounter. And getting rid of the apostrophe didn’t help either. I think I would have worded that Animal Crossing: New Horizons nerfed spawn rates of bug moneymakers. (I feel that there is a word for ‘a person who takes unfair advantage of something’, but I can’t remember it; if such a word does indeed exist, I would have used it.)
Last edited by bradrn on Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

bradrn wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:54 pm(I feel that there is a word for ‘a person who takes unfair advantage of something’, but I can’t remember it;
"entrepreneur"?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Linguoboy wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:00 pm
bradrn wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:54 pm(I feel that there is a word for ‘a person who takes unfair advantage of something’, but I can’t remember it;
"entrepreneur"?
I don’t think that’s the definition of “entrepreneur”…

chris_notts

Post by chris_notts »

bradrn wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:10 pm
"entrepreneur"?
Maybe capitalist then? In the sense of one who has control over productive capital, not one who believes in markets.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

chris_notts wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:26 am
"entrepreneur"?
Maybe capitalist then? In the sense of one who has control over capital, not one who believes in markets.
Possibly… But I meant my original question in the context of gaming, not economically, politically or sarcastically. I suppose ‘cheater’ could be close to what I was looking for, but New Horizons nerfed bug cheaters’ spawn rates doesn’t seem right (mostly since ‘cheater’ has the implication that the cheater is going against the rules).

chris_notts

Post by chris_notts »

bradrn wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:30 am

Maybe capitalist then? In the sense of one who has control over capital, not one who believes in markets.
Possibly… But I meant my original question in the context of gaming, not economically, politically or sarcastically. I suppose ‘cheater’ could be close to what I was looking for, but New Horizons nerfed bug cheaters’ spawn rates doesn’t seem right (mostly since ‘cheater’ has the implication that the cheater is going against the rules).
Bug exploiter?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

chris_notts wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:32 am
bradrn wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:30 am

Bug exploiter?
Yes! I think that was the word!

(Don’t you hate it when a word’s just on the tip of your tongue, but you can’t quite remember it?)

linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Ironically, in this case it's not a game bug that people were exploiting. In the game, from what I've heard, several in game insects sell for a lot. So if someone spent all their time bug hunting, the only real limit on how much money they could make would be the time it takes to catch a given bug, and how often those bugs show up.

But I would have read it the other way if I didn't have context
A cat and a linguist.