Topics that can go away
dhok

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by dhok »

Modafinil: wow.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

So, in potentially interesting things, I applied about a month ago for a postdoc position in the Netherlands. Had two interviews which went quite well, and the group seems interesting and interested in a lot of multidisciplinary research.

Today, I just got offered the position. I accepted. So I'll be moving to the Netherlands in a few months. (insert excited bouncing)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations!
Darren

Post by Darren »

Brexit.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Congrats! (about the job, not about Brexit)
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

doctor shark wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:29 pm So, in potentially interesting things, I applied about a month ago for a postdoc position in the Netherlands. Had two interviews which went quite well, and the group seems interesting and interested in a lot of multidisciplinary research.

Today, I just got offered the position. I accepted. So I'll be moving to the Netherlands in a few months. (insert excited bouncing)
Congratulations! I myself am moving to Taiwan in a few days!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Vijay wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:51 pm
doctor shark wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:29 pm So, in potentially interesting things, I applied about a month ago for a postdoc position in the Netherlands. Had two interviews which went quite well, and the group seems interesting and interested in a lot of multidisciplinary research.

Congratulations! I myself am moving to Taiwan in a few days!
Congratulations to you, too!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just did the first manual PC RAM upgrade of my life, and everything is working fine!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

The first meaningful code has been executed by zeptoforth! I.e.,

3 3 + . 6 ok

where text that is underlined is text entered by the user and text not underlined is text displayed by the runtime. (Yes, Forth is funny about how it handles newlines.)

That is not much, but before this morning zeptoforth wasn't really executing code at all.

Next step: getting zeptoforth to compile code, as that was broken when I tried it this morning.
Last edited by Travis B. on Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have also starting teaching my daughter chess; in return, as she already knows checkers, I am also playing that with her as well.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Went down to St Louis for a work weekend and got a shittonne done. But the best part was getting to spend time with my family, especially my two (remaining) siblings.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:49 am shittonne
I like that you went with a metric unit here, rather than the North American short shitton or the Imperial long shitton.
chris_notts

Post by chris_notts »

Raphael wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:42 am I just did the first manual PC RAM upgrade of my life, and everything is working fine!
That reminds me of the good old days when it was actually cheaper to build your own computer. We built quite a few in the 90s.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

chris_notts wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:57 pm
Raphael wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:42 am I just did the first manual PC RAM upgrade of my life, and everything is working fine!
That reminds me of the good old days when it was actually cheaper to build your own computer. We built quite a few in the 90s.
I remember the days in which I built my own computer, i.e. up until the computer I got most recently, which, being a laptop, I bought pre-assembled. And those computers I built were definitely far less expensive than said laptop was.
chris_notts

Post by chris_notts »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:38 pm
chris_notts wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:57 pm
I remember the days in which I built my own computer, i.e. up until the computer I got most recently, which, being a laptop, I bought pre-assembled. And those computers I built were definitely far less expensive than said laptop was.
Maybe it switched again, but we stopped because at one point the cost of the parts to us was higher than a similarly specced pre-assembled desktop machine. It just seemed pointless.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

chris_notts wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:26 pm Maybe it switched again, but we stopped because at one point the cost of the parts to us was higher than a similarly specced pre-assembled desktop machine. It just seemed pointless.
Last computer I built was in 2012, and I have neither attempted to build a computer nor buy a pre-assembled desktop since then, so I really would not know.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

It's alive! I got zeptoforth compiling and executing compiled code! I also got IF ... THEN conditionals working, even though at the moment IF ... ELSE ... THEN still does not work.

Note that if you want to try it, you need to get an STM32L476 DISCOVERY board (despite what GitHub says, it does not work on Cortex-M in general yet, and will probably not for a good while, because that would require writing driver code for each individual MCU in question, which are many), and you need to remember to flash zeptoforth.bin into 0x08000000 even though it executes at 0x00000000.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

And... I figured out how to get inlining to work (with some caveats)... which I will implement once I get off of work.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

And inlining works as does looping!

(Now I just have to figure out why code entered on multiple lines fails, or why string literals fail, or like...)
chris_notts

Post by chris_notts »

Are you directly generating the machine code, or are you using a 3rd party library like the LLVM?