Conlang fluency thread

Conworlds and conlangs
bradrn

Re: Conlang fluency thread

Post by bradrn »

Imralu wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:52 am
bradrn wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:46 amAs it happens, you didn’t need to ramble, because Eŋes has precisely this distinction too: wafŋim ‘be broken’ vs mafŋim ‘get broken’ (vs wmafŋim ‘break’).
Rambling doesn't happen because it is necessary. 🤣 It's a force that comes from within ... and it's name is probably ADD.
True…! I’m prone to it myself, in late-night posts (e.g.).
How do you usually gloss them? What do you give as the translation in a dictionary? The "be"/"get" distinction is useful, but it's awkward for a lot of words, and "be" is inherently ambiguous in these phrases.
I gloss them morphemically, like usual. wa- is the stative auxiliary, and ma- is the punctual auxiliary, so if there’s no single-word translations I can use STAT and PUNC. (The former doubles as a transitivity marker, so it can be CAUS or COM too.)

The key here is that the adjectival root cannot be used on its own, and thus is ambivalent between stative and punctual readings. With a noun it naturally tends to be stative, so in a dictionary I write it as stative too.

However, consulting my dictionary for the example I gave, it looks like I got a bit muddled here. fŋim is in fact not an adjective: it’s an active verb, derived from the root √fŋi- ‘relating to breakage’. Like the adjectival roots, this one is ambivalent between readings. fŋim is the punctual stem, while the stative stem fŋiŋ means ‘be broken’. The intensive stem fŋin ‘be ground into small pieces’ also happens to be stative here, while the iterative fŋis ‘crumble away’ and atelic fŋi ‘flake off’ are dynamic. (*mafŋim doesn’t exist, while wafŋim actually means ‘break (tr.)’.) I have no really good way to gloss these, since in general the components of a verb stem aren’t easily glossable.

(If you want to discuss this further, it’s probably best to move to my scratchpad thread, where all this is documented in more detail.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
masako

Post by masako »

bradrn wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:44 am Na ni anfwen naʔsnos bitowaʔpes? Naʔ ni sanigiʔssem bifwasnerfin?
/na.ni an.fwen.naʔs.nos.bi.toˈwaʔ.pes | naʔ.ni sa.ni.ɟiʔsˌsem.bif.was.neɾˈfin/
na ni an-fw·en naʔsnos bi-to-waʔ-pes? naʔ ni s-an-igiʔ·s·sem bi-fwas·ne·rfin?
what FOC ACT-say that.ANA Q-DEF.SG-do-BEN? who FOC ACC-ACT-eat Q-force
Why that sentence? Who is forcing the eating?
yomali na tatsun na'o nya onyo nkolapuaye
Each day I select one glyph to study.

tatsu te iyoma "nipo"...yoto uateye
Today's glyph is "compel"...hence, that sentence.
jal

Post by jal »

Imralu wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:35 am(It really frustrates me that English doesn't have an easy and clear way to distinguish džág repariert werden from džuwág repariert sein. A huge number of basic roots in Tobarese have passive translations and the glosses for dynamic and stative forms are either the same or awkward.)
Mmm, not sure if I get your problem. It's just "being repaired" vs. "having been repaired"? I don't see much difference with the German there? Like English "repaired", German "repariert" is ambiguous between the two? Most/all Western European languages seem to have settled on two distinctions: past passive (or perfective) and present active (or imperfective), at least for adjectives ("eaten" vs. "eating").
Imralu wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:47 amShould I gloss the underived root tém (be eaten ... gegessen/gefressen werden, Vorgangspassiv) as "eat[PASS]" or "eat(PASS)"?
I don't think either is valid according to the Leipzig glossing rules? If the passive part is inherently part of the morpheme, it's just eat.PASS?

JAL
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

jal wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:26 am
Imralu wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:35 am(It really frustrates me that English doesn't have an easy and clear way to distinguish džág repariert werden from džuwág repariert sein. A huge number of basic roots in Tobarese have passive translations and the glosses for dynamic and stative forms are either the same or awkward.)
Mmm, not sure if I get your problem. It's just "being repaired" vs. "having been repaired"? I don't see much difference with the German there? Like English "repaired", German "repariert" is ambiguous between the two?
Indeed, but I am talking about the difference between "repariert werden" and "repariert sein" which is as big a difference as "die" vs "be dead". Of course, "be dead" is basically the same as "have died" if your language has a clear perfect, which is why Swahili manages to do pretty well using kufa for "die" and perfect forms for "be dead" (there is an adjective/noun for "dead (one)", but it's rarely used). German and, increasingly, American English don't have a clear distinction between present perfect and past tense, which is why "er ist gestorben" (he died/he has died) and "er ist tot" (he is dead), although frequently equivalent, are still quite different in how they can be used: er ist gestern gestorben = he died yesterday; er ist gestern tot = he is dead yesterday.
Imralu wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:47 amShould I gloss the underived root tém (be eaten ... gegessen/gefressen werden, Vorgangspassiv) as "eat[PASS]" or "eat(PASS)"?
I don't think either is valid according to the Leipzig glossing rules? If the passive part is inherently part of the morpheme, it's just eat.PASS?
Isn't that used for cases where it's a passive form? For example "sang" is "sing.PST" because it is the past form of "sing" and it's difficult to clearly point out the specific past tense morpheme since it's formed by ablaut.

Tém is not a passive form of a word meaning "eat". It's a root word. It's just that the meaning in English requires an additional specification. I've definitely seen this with square brackets or parentheses in glosses, but I can't remember which. I could also do it as "be.eaten", but then that runs into the issue of whether it means "gegessen/gefressen werden" or "gegessen/gefressen sein". Of course, in a gloss, that's a pretty small issue because I'll usually gloss the morphemes:

tém
tém
be.eaten

is eaten

tuwém
t<uw>ém
be.eaten<RET>

is eaten / has been eaten

Cf.

yóg
yóg
die

dies

yuwóg
y<uw>óg
die<RET>

is dead/has died

Bayabehozúyušō.
b<ay><ab><eh><oz><uy>úš-ā
work<CONT><very><JUSS><go><place>-R2

I have to go to work now.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Imralu wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:05 pm German and, increasingly, American English don't have a clear distinction between present perfect and past tense, which is why "er ist gestorben" (he died/he has died) and "er ist tot" (he is dead), although frequently equivalent, are still quite different in how they can be used: er ist gestern gestorben = he died yesterday; er ist gestern tot = he is dead yesterday.
The death of the preterite in (southern) German (both StG and traditional dialects) is well-known, but the AmE here seems to preserve the distinction between present perfect and the preterite. For instance "he died" indicates that someone died at some arbitrary time in the past, without any reference to how far in the past it happened, whereas "he has died" indicates that someone died recently; you would not say that *"19,240 British soldiers have died on the first day of the Somme". The idea that the distinction between the present perfect and the preterite is dying out in AmE seems to be a misunderstanding by speakers of other English varieties based on the fact that it just happens that in some cases where they use the present perfect Americans tend to use the preterite, without considering that there are plenty of cases where Americans very much do make a distinction between the two, such as this one.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

• perfect (ling.) (adj.), ferfet'
  • aspect (ling.), asfet'
  • perfective (ling.) (adj.) ferfet'if
  • imperfective (ling.) (adj.) imferfet'if
  • now (n.), malah
  • past (n.), kaate
Gadit'a malah ferfet' fad'ami.
exist-DAT-NEG now perfect language-POSS.1.P
Fad'ami does not have a present perfect.

Gadi asfet' ferfet'if ut asfet' imferfet'if kaatet fad'ami.
exist-DAT aspect perfective and aspect imperfective past-GEN language-POSS.1.P
Fad'ami has a perfective and an imperfective past.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

• phonemes (ling., coll.), foonem
  • number, k'iixa
  • cromulent, lemaahe
Ximaam ha gadi k'iixa lemaahe foonemit fad'ami.
think-AGT.1.S COMP exist-DAT number cromulent phonemes-GEN language-POSS.1.S
Fad'ami has a cromulent number of phonemes
xxx

Post by xxx »

Imralu wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:05 pm German and, increasingly, American English don't have a clear distinction between present perfect and past tense
zÁ`zÎêÆp_z¿Â`ezÁ½Ñx¿Îa
(Now mens’life in only now things , these men of incomprehension of past words...)
nowadays, we only live in the present, and tenses that don't relate to it are no longer understood...
masako

Post by masako »

tiuam pakayo pa utsupyalo nkilok
rambling-PL fool-GEN even.though RED-attempt-PL resonant-NEG
Despite many various attempts the fool's ramblings did not resonate.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

• understand (trans.), lahu
  • blather (intr.), maab'i
Lahumufat'a k'a maab'idaadu.
understand-AGT.1.S-HAB-PAT.3.S.INAN-NEG EMPH blather-ACTION-POSS.3.S.ANIM
I don't understand his blathering.
xxx

Post by xxx »

õÄCÒbÆ_C½bx¿f¿C¿½_z¿½
(future sun will see other name written and experienced...)
every new day brings a new glyph to use...
keenir

Post by keenir »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:45 am Lahumufat'a k'a maab'idaadu.
reminds me of...
"Blathering blatherskytes!"

{WIP, but enough exists to say that, among other things}
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

keenir wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:26 pm
Travis B. wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:45 am Lahumufat'a k'a maab'idaadu.
reminds me of...
"Blathering blatherskytes!"

{WIP, but enough exists to say that, among other things}
  • assume (trans.), faayi
  • sounds (coll.), lagad
  • smooth, seewa
Faayim ha gadi lagad seewa fad'ana.
assume-AGT.1.S COMP exist-DAT sounds smooth language-POSS.2.S
I assume your language has vowels.
keenir

Post by keenir »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:00 pm
  • assume (trans.), faayi
  • sounds (coll.), lagad
  • smooth, seewa
(thank you)
(it does, but right now, I have only two choices: use the syllabary I've formed, with no way thus far of indicating which vowels are to be ignored; or use it as an abjad - which I did above. my apologies for any confusion)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

keenir wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:02 pm
Travis B. wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:00 pm
  • assume (trans.), faayi
  • sounds (coll.), lagad
  • smooth, seewa
(thank you)
(it does, but right now, I have only two choices: use the syllabary I've formed, with no way thus far of indicating which vowels are to be ignored; or use it as an abjad - which I did above. my apologies for any confusion)
  • abjad (ling.) abjad
  • silly, joori
Ligim ha ta qo abjad ─ tama joori.
know-AGT.1.S COMP COP PROX.S.INAN abjad || COP-AGT.1.S-PST.IPFV silly
I knew it was an abjad ─ I was being silly.
keenir

Post by keenir »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:00 pm
keenir wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:02 pm(thank you)
  • abjad (ling.) abjad
  • silly, joori
Ligim ha ta qo abjad ─ tama joori.
know-AGT.1.S COMP COP PROX.S.INAN abjad || COP-AGT.1.S-PST.IPFV silly
I knew it was an abjad ─ I was being silly.
(oh; sorry. I seriously am aiming to expand it as i go - an abjad wasn't anywhere near an aim before, but now I think I'll try it alongside the alphabet, making both from the logosyllabary)
xxx

Post by xxx »

keenir wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:26 pmImage
yÏÎS¾‰Ó̐À¾ÒyÍ
(this words running on a flat material not known by me...)
on what material is this writing supposed to be traced...