Random Thread

Topics that can go away
keenir

Re: Random Thread

Post by keenir »

Torco wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:36 am but what do we mean here by "about" ? 🤔
Yes? Yes! Yes; yes, yes.

Now we just need to translate those punctuations into every spoken and nonspoken language.
Torco

Post by Torco »

yes(yes)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Just learned about this now, about a year late. Despite being real, it sounds like something from a 1990s parody of video games in general:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_War ... _Simulator
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:58 am Just learned about this now, about a year late. Despite being real, it sounds like something from a 1990s parody of video games in general:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_War ... _Simulator
Lolz
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Is everything ok with LInguoboy? He hasn't been logged in since last Tuesday.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:54 am Is everything ok with LInguoboy? He hasn't been logged in since last Tuesday.
He's browsing this forum right now.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:54 amIs everything ok with LInguoboy? He hasn't been logged in since last Tuesday.
Thanks for the concern. I had a rather nasty flu (perhaps COVID again, though the test was negative). I should be back in the saddle now.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:09 am
Raphael wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:54 amIs everything ok with LInguoboy? He hasn't been logged in since last Tuesday.
Thanks for the concern. I had a rather nasty flu (perhaps COVID again, though the test was negative). I should be back in the saddle now.
Good you're feeling better now.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I hope your health keeps improving, Linguoboy. As I posted back then in the Covid thread, I had my own could-be-Covid-or-not thing last year - I had symptoms that felt very much like Covid symptoms, and I got them shortly after my flatmate got Covid, but the test was negative, but the idea that I'd get something that feels a bit like Covid but isn't Covid shortly after my flatmate got Covid sounds kinda fishy to me, so I'm still not sure how much I trust that test result.

Completely different question: Were old-time western movies really as much about cowboys as people usually think? I mean, "cowboy" is about the first word many people will think of when they think of Westerns, and sometimes, Westerns are even called "cowboy movies". But I've got the impression that, back when I was growing up, and still occasionally watching Westerns (that was before I started having problems with glorifying the old west), the main characters of those movies were more likely to be sheriffs, other law enforcement officials, military men, and adventurer types who paid their expenses in whatever ways offered themselves at any given moment, than men who actually made a living driving cattle. So, is there anything to my impression?
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

IMDB suggests a few movie involving actual cattle:
https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?ke ... ttle-drive

That said, I think your observation is correct. I don't remember Clint Eastwood anywhere near a farm animal.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Well, when we played "Cowboys and Indians" as children, what we took cowboys to be were people living in the Wild West wearing stetsons and shooting with colts, not necessarily involving any cattle at all.
But there was a TV show that was set on a farm in the Old West that was very popular in Germany in the 70s - Bonanza. I can still hum the theme music.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Saw this on Twitter:
More: show
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Ares Land wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:22 pm That said, I think your observation is correct. I don't remember Clint Eastwood anywhere near a farm animal.
In the series Rawhide and the film Hang 'Em High, he is actually driving cattle.

But overall Raphael is right: the word cowboy drifted from "cattle worker" to "Old West gunslinger". I've seen people call Clint's "Man with No Name" a cowboy, though he's clearly a bounty hunter. Lucky Luke (the hero of a famous Belgian comic book) is always called a "poor lonesome cowboy", but is rarely seen working with actual cows.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Just had a great dinner consisting of sausages, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes. And now I feel like such a stereotype.
keenir

Post by keenir »

Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:12 pm Just had a great dinner consisting of sausages, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes. And now I feel like such a stereotype.
There is nothing stereotypical about enjoying a meal; simple as that.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

People who have hadn't played typing games as a kid how well can you type? I can type without looking because i know instinctively the place of keys and i type fairly quickly much faster then i write.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:12 pm Just had a great dinner consisting of sausages, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes. And now I feel like such a stereotype.
I see nothing to be ashamed in that - that sounds like a good meal!
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

I previously stated i'm optimistic about other european cuisines but i have so far been given no contradictory evidence that german cuisine isn't UK tier other than schnitzel. Even then i'm concerned the schnitzel was overtly anglofied like every piece of chinese food i've eaten outside of singapore so i'm going to a german restaurant some time in the near future.

I also don't like sausages because i detest minced meat (but not fish).

Also the sauerkrat i had was terrible due to its lack of sourness.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

From Russian cuisine i have liked beef strogganof but disliked Ukhas due to it being flavourless (I'm sure the lemonyness was due to my mistake). I have found a polish chicken soup recipe without vegetables you cannot acquire in australia so i will be trying that some time soon. I have also enjoyed Hungarian mushroom soup.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Notes about the food i had on my recent holiday.
Cruise Ship Food: Sucks the main thing i enjoyed were the drinks most of which i had on a package. It wasn't inedible in most cases but some of the time the food was extremely questionable and not what was promised.
In Singapore i had more authentic chinese cuisine which tasted a lot like the chinese food you can get in australia. I also had some noodle dish, Michelin star japanese ramen (edit it was teriyaki chicken actually) and Prata which were fairly decent i could say i was dissapointed by the michelin star dish and it cost more than other food there. By far the best meal i had was just fried skewers of meats/vegetables with spices.
In Vietnam the best meals i had were a rather Authentic Italian restaurant (but note most of their offering was not anything like i could get at and Italian pizza place here) and a meal at a tour which consisted of a number of dishes. Besides i had meals at more vietnamese places which weren't as good (i suppose natives can do whatever they want with cuisine but they still have more to work with then they do here in australia) I also had ice cream and apple juice which was really expensive for the country but rather good but not as good as a cheaper ice cream place i found. Most of the food was in a department store which i didn't buy anything else from.
Indonesia: I never went outside my hotel here so i just had Pasta with garlic, Salmon and a rather good chicken soup.
Last edited by foxcatdog on Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.