Confusing headlines

Topics that can go away
bradrn

Re: Confusing headlines

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:20 am Hm, I've got the impression that "dead cat bounce" has been used for quite a while for "a period when numbers that have been going down for a while, such as economic indicators or politicians' poll numbers, temporarily go up, before going back to their previous downwards slide".
Really? I’ve never heard of it, and I thought it sounded remarkably strange when I saw it.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Unrelated to that, here's not a headline, but a potentially confusing quote from a book. Specifically, from The Fifties by David Halberstam. It's from a part about Senator Kefauver's committee hearings into organized crime:
For the Kefauver hearings contained innately explosive drama. There, live and in black and white, were the bad guys on one side, looking very much like hoods, showing by the way they spoke and in other ways they never quite realized that they were part of the underworld[...]
Clearly, Halberstam intended it to be read as
There, live and in black and white, were the bad guys on one side, looking very much like hoods, [showing by the way they spoke and [in other ways they never quite realized]] [that they were part of the underworld]
but a reader could be forgiven for interpreting it as
There, live and in black and white, were the bad guys on one side, looking very much like hoods, [showing by the way they spoke and in other ways] [[they never quite realized] [that they were part of the underworld]]
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

China tortured detained British diplomat, says UK government

(Don’t you just love sequences of ‘verbs’?)

KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

What's the problem with this one?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

KathTheDragon wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:25 am What's the problem with this one?
It isn’t actually ambiguous in any way, but I found it a bit garden-pathy when I first saw it: the first few words look almost like China-tortured detained British diplomat (with a missing hyphen), but the rest of the sentence doesn’t match up with that parse.

EDIT: Just checked the news and ran into this same headline again without expecting it; this time I ended up parsing it with detained as a verb, and then hastily backtracked when I realised I’d went down the garden path again. Really, it’s just a confusing sentence.

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

This one seems pretty normal to me; the correct interpretation is much easier for me to come to than the incorrect one.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Human remains confirmed to be missing Idaho kids Joshua Vallow and Tylee Ryan (NBC)
elemtilas

Post by elemtilas »

Linguoboy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:06 am Human remains confirmed to be missing Idaho kids Joshua Vallow and Tylee Ryan (NBC)
Curious: what's confusing with this one? "Human remains" are plural; "kids" are plural and obviously non-haedine; two kids are named.
--insert pithy saying here--
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

elemtilas wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:50 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:06 am Human remains confirmed to be missing Idaho kids Joshua Vallow and Tylee Ryan (NBC)
Curious: what's confusing with this one? "Human remains" are plural; "kids" are plural and obviously non-haedine; two kids are named.
The other reading is that the human remains are missing something, and that something are the Idaho kids Joshua Vallow and Tylee Ryan.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ah, now I get it.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:02 pm
elemtilas wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:50 pm
The other reading is that the human remains are missing something, and that something are the Idaho kids Joshua Vallow and Tylee Ryan.
That actually wasn’t even a reading I thought of. I got garden-pathed by parsing “human” as the subject of the verb “remains” and then slammed into the names of the two children.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

By the way, what exactly did the term "garden path" in the title of earlier versions of this thread refer to?
elemtilas

Post by elemtilas »

Raphael wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:26 pm By the way, what exactly did the term "garden path" in the title of earlier versions of this thread refer to?
It's an idiom meaning to lead someone astray. WP article.
--insert pithy saying here--
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Dame Vera Lynn, World War II forces sweetheart, dies at age 103

Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Not a headline, but a particularly awkward sentence in a news article: “Preet Bharara, whom Berman replaced after being fired by Trump, in a tweet asked, "Why does a president get rid of his own hand-picked US Attorney in SDNY on a Friday night, less than 5 months before the election?"”
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Another non-headline. This one is from Swedish text-TV:

1986 hade Engström ("Skandiamannen") blivit anhållen som skäligen misstänkt för mordet på Palme, enligt Petersson.
1986 have-PST Engström (Skandia-man.DEF) become.SUP arrested as reasonably suspected for muder.DEF on Palme, according.to Petersson
In 1986 Engström ("the Skandia man") had been arrested for the murder of Palme by probable cause, according to Petersson.

What's confusing here is whether that's a "hypothetical had", or whether it's actual. I'm pretty sure the person was never arrested.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Florida ends drinking at bars, shatters record spike in new coronavirus cases (CNBC)

Feels like they mashed together two different headline ideas.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

John Cena surprises 7-year-old boy with cancer on his birthday
--- Winnipeg Sun

“This was truly the most amazing gift my son could have had," said the boy's mother.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I guess celebrity news takes a while to reach Winnipeg?