Random Thread

Topics that can go away
keenir

Re: Random Thread

Post by keenir »

foxcatdog wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:19 pm I've got 60 to 80 more pages of psychic awakening to write and i think it would be boring to anyone who likes action but i don't think you read books for action.
I hate to break it to you, but action and psychic powers are massive genres, individually or paired together. LOTS AND LOTS of people buy books like that...I assume they read those books after buying them there or borrowing them in a library.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Completely unrelated question: why is it that so many people, myself included, are so easily impressed by the sight of rural landscapes covered in mist? I've noticed that I'm a complete sucker for that kind of thing, whether in real life, in photos, or in well-done paintings. I wonder why that might be.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Perhaps a sense of beauty and mystery combined?
Torco

Post by Torco »

it could be the same reason we're fascinated by any non-urban landscape: they're just pretty in a way that cities are fugly? like, they're what we evolved to live in: relatively moist earth covered in vegetation.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I’m on the starter dose of Seroquel and it has me feeling some kind of way…I was in a mixed affective episode and it feels like this straight-up snapped me out of it. Hopefully that isn’t premature to call.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:24 pm I’m on the starter dose of Seroquel and it has me feeling some kind of way…I was in a mixed affective episode and it feels like this straight-up snapped me out of it. Hopefully that isn’t premature to call.
Good luck! Just be aware it can often take a few tries before you find which medicine is right for you. (Not that I have personal experience of it, but from family and friends I know this is the case.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

My attempts to run a DND game have turned into an attempt to make homebrew rules for my setting.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:24 pm I’m on the starter dose of Seroquel and it has me feeling some kind of way…I was in a mixed affective episode and it feels like this straight-up snapped me out of it. Hopefully that isn’t premature to call.
One little note about Seroquel ─ low doses are very sedating but have low antipsychotic effect, whereas higher doses (think about 100 mg, but you can see doses in the 100s of mg) have stronger antipsychotic effects but less sedation.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

I've decided my like for Bullet Train is because it has the choreography of birds of prey with better writing.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:09 pmwhereas higher doses (think about 100 mg, but you can see doses in the 100s of mg) have stronger antipsychotic effects but less sedation.
Wut? Does not compute. (That is, the "less sedation" part.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

foxcatdog wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:02 am I've decided my like for Bullet Train is because it has the choreography of birds of prey with better writing.
I was surprised that I enjoyed that movie. It's dumb action with weeaboo-cringe, so I expected to hate it, but it manages to be good fun the whole way through, probably because as you say someone was paying attention to the writing.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

A friend posted a picture of himself in Japan with a local mascot, which me to a merry little romp around the Internet trying to figure out who that was and the meaning of the characters on his fan. I think I have a new favourite yuru-chara: https://www.nippon.com/en/guide-to-japan/pref19/.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Can anybody here read EKGs? I took some with my watch and I’m a little concerned.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:22 am Can anybody here read EKGs? I took some with my watch and I’m a little concerned.
Unless you're a med school-trained doctor, I'd say that you can't read an EKG.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Torco

Post by Torco »

as so often happens, there's a python library for that. though i don't know what I'd do with it and it only supports a couple of formats.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Well. Good news is that it doesn’t appear to be a health risk, just some transient flutters.
keenir

Post by keenir »

Man in Space wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:52 pm Well. Good news is that it doesn’t appear to be a health risk, just some transient flutters.
glad you're okay.

(btw, what sort of a watch do you have?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Serious question: How do ant colonies manage it to survive serious major downpours? Shouldn't they all drown whenever there's one of those?

Less serious question: Why did I never wonder about this until today?
keenir

Post by keenir »

Raphael wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:09 pm Serious question: How do ant colonies manage it to survive serious major downpours? Shouldn't they all drown whenever there's one of those?
One of the advantages of digging basements and downwards-aiming tunnels (straight down or at an angle)...and the lower portions of an underground nest probably do drown, even with that.
Less serious question: Why did I never wonder about this until today?
Probably the extreme rarity of a drowned ant IRL or even as an idiom. Its like how I never used to wonder "can a giraffe see their own feet?"
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Raphael wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:09 pm Serious question: How do ant colonies manage it to survive serious major downpours? Shouldn't they all drown whenever there's one of those?
Now you've made me wonder. According to Google, the dirt they use on their anthills tends to repel water, and the colonies are often so constructed that water will pass through them without pooling if it gets in.