Conlang Random Thread

Conworlds and conlangs
keenir

Re: Conlang Random Thread

Post by keenir »

Ahzoh wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:20 pm So I noticed that Hurrian has a fair number of clitics with conjunction-like behaviour, like =an "and", =mān "but" and =nīn "truly" among others.

I want Vrkhazhian to have these, so I did come up with a good many. Though I wonder how naturalistic it would be to have the majority of them be of the CVCV shape, like these:
they look natural to me. do they not fit with the script?
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

keenir wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:38 pm
Ahzoh wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:20 pm So I noticed that Hurrian has a fair number of clitics with conjunction-like behaviour, like =an "and", =mān "but" and =nīn "truly" among others.

I want Vrkhazhian to have these, so I did come up with a good many. Though I wonder how naturalistic it would be to have the majority of them be of the CVCV shape, like these:
they look natural to me. do they not fit with the script?
They'll work with the writing system. But it feels odd to have polysyllabic words conveying meanings like "and" or "or", yet many languages do, like Burnese, which has a word meaning "or" composed of three syllables that each have their own independent meaning.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I'd been lowkey trying to figure out just how to germanely describe Täptäg ř. As conceived it's a uvular fricative with a trilled release. I couldn't think of anything that seemed proper or like it fit until it hit me this evening: /χ͡ʀ̥/. It's perfect. (I was thinking of just using /ʀ̥/ or /ʀ/ but that felt to me like it got rid of the fricative aspect, and I'd also tried /χ͈~ʁ͈/ but that didn't suggest "trill" to me.)
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:08 pm I'd been lowkey trying to figure out just how to germanely describe Täptäg ř. As conceived it's a uvular fricative with a trilled release. I couldn't think of anything that seemed proper or like it fit until it hit me this evening: /χ͡ʀ̥/. It's perfect. (I was thinking of just using /ʀ̥/ or /ʀ/ but that felt to me like it got rid of the fricative aspect, and I'd also tried /χ͈~ʁ͈/ but that didn't suggest "trill" to me.)
You also have:
/ʁʳ ʁ𐞪 ʶʀ/ (with or without uptack)
/χʳ χ𐞪 ᵡʀ/

Personally /ʁʳ χʳ/ are the best.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Some words I discovered in Täptäg tonight:

cheoach /cʰu̯akʰ/ 'write down, take (e.g., dictation) down'
faauoni /ɸɑːŋwoni/ 'drum the fingers'
fedišwaä /ɸediʃ͎eæ/ 'abound'
ideäoi /idjæwi/ 'cloud'
quheoo /kʰjoː/ 'tend to s.o.'s wounds'
teaässefer /tjeæsseɸeɾ/ 'to sit, to get comfortable'
thiie /tʰiːje/ 'walk (to s.w.)'
thiour /tʰiwuɾ/ 'raise, caretake, oversee'
tjoipphoea /tʶwippʰweɑ/ 'found, establish, lay (s.th.) down, orchestrate, mastermind, plan'
udeeac /udjeɑk/ 'dam, obstruction'
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

Been working on Vrkhazhian's ablaut classes and I came up with this:

Transitive:
u-a (active) / i-a (passive)
u-i (active) / i-a (passive)
u-u (active) / i-a (passive)
Intransitive:
a-a (dynamic)
a-i (dynamic)
i-a (stative)
i-i (stative)

Code: Select all

Active       |      Passive
Realis / Irrealis | Realis / Irrealis
CaCuC- / -CCaC-   | CaCiC- / -CCaC-
CaCuC- / -CCuC-   | CaCiC- / -CCaC-
CaCuC- / -CCiC-   | CaCiC- / -CCaC-

CaCaC- / -CCaC-   |
CaCaC- / -CCiC-   |
CaCiC- / -CCaC-   |
CaCiC- / -CCiC-   |
Though, I'm not sure how to diachronically justify these patterns.