The New ZBB Quote Thread

Topics that can go away
WeepingElf

Re: The New ZBB Quote Thread

Post by WeepingElf »

Ketsuban wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:12 am And Fenwick, writing in 2016 and well aware of Gamkrelidze and Ivanov, points out that the existing well-documented process of s-mobile is a more parsimonious explanation than a magic fricative which turns into a pumpkin as soon as someone tries to write it.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:27 pm The priest who baptized my late husband in 1946 refused to accept the name "Cameron" unless it was hyphenated to "Cameron-Joseph" because there is no saint or martyr named "Cameron" recognised by the Catholic Church. Sixty years later, at my nephew's baptism, the priest called on the blessings of "Saint Owen?" with an interrogative intonation which indicated he didn't actually know if he was invoking someone on the official roster or not. [For the record, he was.]
TomHChappell

Post by TomHChappell »

“with a straight face, Youtuber Sabine Hossenfelder said” wrote: I’m not autistic; I’m just rude!
Or maybe German.
(But I repeat myself.)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

TomHChappell wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:11 pm
“with a straight face, Youtuber Sabine Hossenfelder said” wrote: I’m not autistic; I’m just rude!
Or maybe German.
(But I repeat myself.)
I believe this thread is reserved for quotes made by people on this board.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Raphael wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:57 pm
alice wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:41 pmSergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was (traditionally) released 57 years ago today. This date will soon become like D-Day: nobody alive will be able to remember it.
Does that mean it was now 77 years ago today that Sergeant Pepper told the band to play?
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

bradrn wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:19 pm
TomHChappell wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:11 pm
Or maybe German.
(But I repeat myself.)
I believe this thread is reserved for quotes made by people on this board.
That was probably the original intent but there's no need to be dogmatic about it.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Yeah, I’ve quoted zompist’s books a few times.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

alice wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:15 pm
Ideally, of course, someone will eventually sort everything out, and we'l have definitive sets of phonemes and features. Although by that time advances in "AI" and brain-technology interfaces will mean that we'll be able to model arbitrarily complex sound-changes by the power of thought alone.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

rotting bones wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:54 am It is not physically possible for an individual to do without every unethical privilege afforded to them by the system. If someone tried to minimize them as much as possible, their lives would not look recognizably middle class. To be perfectly honest, they would look like fucking weirdos, possibly brainwashed cultists or worse, Linux users.
Ares Land wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:03 am Don't tempt me! I'm this close to swearing off civilization to go raise goats in the mountains.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

rotting bones wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:26 pm I once read a trading book called Best Loser Wins. It mentions a pattern that a vast majority of new traders fall into. IIRC it was something like they: 1. Win slightly. 2. Start losing. 3. Study trading. 4. Lose horribly. 5. Quit forever.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Torco wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:32 pm public figure who constantly reminds public to not trust media falsely reported dead by media lmao