Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Travis B.

Re: Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Post by Travis B. »

Richard W wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:01 pm Yes, but Japanese and Arabic have noun case, and that swings it. Also, I'm not sure it's completely sound to say that English doesn't have a genitive case for nouns.
I have read things that would class the English genitive on NP's as a case, even though morphologically it is a postpositional clitic and not an affix. (I cannot recall exactly where I read this though.)
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:16 pm
Richard W wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:01 pm Yes, but Japanese and Arabic have noun case, and that swings it. Also, I'm not sure it's completely sound to say that English doesn't have a genitive case for nouns.
I have read things that would class the English genitive on NP's as a case, even though morphologically it is a postpositional clitic and not an affix. (I cannot recall exactly where I read this though.)
If I'm not very much mistaken, the genitive in English is simply an inherited form; the "his genitive" doesn't appear until something like the Twelfth or Thirteenth century, and is, I believe, some sort of analogical formation, or the result of the confusion of various unstressed words that now all do contract to some sort of [s~z] depending on context, and tend to be represented orthographically as 's.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

(I originally wanted to post this in the "What are you reading, watching and listening to?" thread in Ephemera, but then decided on this thread instead.)

I just started reading a somewhat tongue-in-cheek German book on English influences on the German language where, early in the book, the author claims that English has so many more Latin-derived words than German because of the long time the Romans ruled over what is now England.

Like, where do you even start? I'm this close to asking for my money back.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:23 am If I'm not very much mistaken, the genitive in English is simply an inherited form; the "his genitive" doesn't appear until something like the Twelfth or Thirteenth century, and is, I believe, some sort of analogical formation, or the result of the confusion of various unstressed words that now all do contract to some sort of [s~z] depending on context, and tend to be represented orthographically as 's.
Whereas the entirely similar Swedish group genitive doesn't seem to appear until the 17th century.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:38 pm (I originally wanted to post this in the "What are you reading, watching and listening to?" thread in Ephemera, but then decided on this thread instead.)

I just started reading a somewhat tongue-in-cheek German book on English influences on the German language where, early in the book, the author claims that English has so many more Latin-derived words than German because of the long time the Romans ruled over what is now England.

Like, where do you even start? I'm this close to asking for my money back.
Wut.
2+3 Clusivity

Post by 2+3 Clusivity »

So, my Google-fu is not helping me out today. Are there any basic grammar sketches of Old Georgia and/or Proto-Kartvelian? Basically looking for declension, screeve, etc. tables.

Think there are some in Georgian and/or Russian, but I'm hoping to find something in English, German, or (maybe) French.
Otto Kretschmer

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

When was Proto Polynesian spoken?
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

2+3 Clusivity wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:21 pm So, my Google-fu is not helping me out today. Are there any basic grammar sketches of Old Georgia and/or Proto-Kartvelian? Basically looking for declension, screeve, etc. tables.

Think there are some in Georgian and/or Russian, but I'm hoping to find something in English, German, or (maybe) French.
There are some books which contain ones. Kartwelsprachen by Heinz Fähnrich is in German, and contains sketches of both Proto-Kartvelian and Old Georgian. The first volume of The Indigenous Languages of the Caucasus, Volume 1 by Alice C. Harris is in English, and also contains such sketches. Both books do not agree in all points on Proto-Kartvelian, though. Also, they are probably too expensive to buy them, so better try finding a library that has them. (Myself, I checked out both by way of inter-library loan.)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Zju

Post by Zju »

Are there languages that have phonemic syllable boundaries? I.e. is there a language that distinguishes between /'uf.ljuf/ and /'u.fljuf/?
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

WeepingElf wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:42 pm
2+3 Clusivity wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:21 pm So, my Google-fu is not helping me out today. Are there any basic grammar sketches of Old Georgia and/or Proto-Kartvelian? Basically looking for declension, screeve, etc. tables.

There are some books which contain ones. Kartwelsprachen by Heinz Fähnrich is in German, and contains sketches of both Proto-Kartvelian and Old Georgian. The first volume of The Indigenous Languages of the Caucasus, Volume 1 by Alice C. Harris is in English, and also contains such sketches. Both books do not agree in all points on Proto-Kartvelian, though. Also, they are probably too expensive to buy them, so better try finding a library that has them. (Myself, I checked out both by way of inter-library loan.)
I should warn you that you will quite probably find these books disappointing, especially concerning the verbs. Verbs in Kartvelian work quite similarly as in PIE: each of the three screeve series ("present", "aorist", "perfect") uses a different stem, and there are several ways of forming these stems, involving ablaut and various pre-, in- and suffixes. These cannot easily be rolled up into paradigms; they have to be learned for each verb separately.
My conlang pages
2+3 Clusivity

Post by 2+3 Clusivity »

WeepingElf wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:19 pm
2+3 Clusivity wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:21 pm ...
I should warn you that you will quite probably find these books disappointing, especially concerning the verbs. Verbs in Kartvelian work quite similarly as in PIE: each of the three screeve series ("present", "aorist", "perfect") uses a different stem, and there are several ways of forming these stems, involving ablaut and various pre-, in- and suffixes. These cannot easily be rolled up into paradigms; they have to be learned for each verb separately.
Sheesh, worse than that, simply not available for purchase taking a few quick looks. Yeah, I'll have to see what wordcat, etc. has for me. Thanks W.E.
2+3 Clusivity

Post by 2+3 Clusivity »

Zju wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:52 pm Are there languages that have phonemic syllable boundaries? I.e. is there a language that distinguishes between /'uf.ljuf/ and /'u.fljuf/?
Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affricate ... _sequences
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

2+3 Clusivity wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:58 pm
Zju wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:52 pm Are there languages that have phonemic syllable boundaries? I.e. is there a language that distinguishes between /'uf.ljuf/ and /'u.fljuf/?
Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affricate ... _sequences
That’s not a syllable boundary distinction; it’s just a difference between one phoneme vs a sequence of phonemes, which may or may not cause a change in the syllable boundaries. (I like Americanist notation for this purpose, since it uses one letter per phoneme: e.g. the Wikipedia example is Klallam k'ʷə́nc vs k'ʷə́nts.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Darren

Post by Darren »

Arguably some Lakes Plains langages, e.g. Sikaritai /kód.á/ "later" vs. /kú.da/ "caterpillar", although that's heavily supported by allophony ([kód̚.á] vs. [kú.ɾa]). English may also be an example although with minimal pairs only based on morpheme boundaries, e.g. the dubious McAuley /mək.ˈɔːli/ vs. MacCauley /mə.ˈkɔːli/ (which also relies on allophony).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

The key thing, though, is that morpheme boundaries and phoneme pair/affricate distinctions can be considered to constitute phonemic distinctions, whereas such is much more questionable for syllabification.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

2+3 Clusivity wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:56 pm
WeepingElf wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:19 pm
2+3 Clusivity wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:21 pm ...
Sheesh, worse than that, simply not available for purchase taking a few quick looks. Yeah, I'll have to see what wordcat, etc. has for me. Thanks W.E.
Well, don't bother. They'd probably (I don't have them here now, and I may misremember) leave most of your questions, especially about the formation of the verb screeves, unanswered anyway.
My conlang pages
Otto Kretschmer

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

Is the hypothesis of Austric languages any good?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Otto Kretschmer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:13 pm Is the hypothesis of Austric languages any good?
Well, a far more solid superfamily is Austro-Tai...
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Otto Kretschmer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:13 pm Is the hypothesis of Austric languages any good?
It looks like true but not very useful. Austro-Tai is solid in so far as it claims that Tai-Kadai has a fair few words cognate with Austronesian; I'm not sure that mass borrowing has been excluded.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Richard W wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:17 pm
It looks like true but not very useful. Austro-Tai is solid in so far as it claims that Tai-Kadai has a fair few words cognate with Austronesian; I'm not sure that mass borrowing has been excluded.
The key thing that makes Austro-Tai solid is that much of the relevant vocabulary is core vocabulary and thus less likely to be borrowed. IIRC the main controversy with Austro-Tai is not where Austronesian and Kra-Dai are related but rather whether Kra-Dai is a sister or a daughter of Austronesian.