Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
quinterbeck

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by quinterbeck »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:05 am I got my basic math routines for zeptoforth working, so I now have EXP, LN, SQRT, F**, SIN, COS, TAN, ASIN, ACOS, ATAN, ATAN2, SINH, COSH, TANH, ASINH, ACOSH, and ATANH working! To mark this occasion, I released a minor-version release 0.7.0.
What is F**?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

quinterbeck wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:28 am
Travis B. wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:05 am I got my basic math routines for zeptoforth working, so I now have EXP, LN, SQRT, F**, SIN, COS, TAN, ASIN, ACOS, ATAN, ATAN2, SINH, COSH, TANH, ASINH, ACOSH, and ATANH working! To mark this occasion, I released a minor-version release 0.7.0.
What is F**?
F** is fixed point exponentiation.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I got my new mouse! Yay! Hopefully, this means that the times when I would nervously wait to see whether my mouse would interpret the single click that I just did as a double click, as two clicks in rapid succession, or as no click at all, will be gone, at least for now.
Risla

Post by Risla »

I had three world-shattering personal epiphanies a couple weeks ago within a few days of each other and my mindset has totally shifted. I struggled so hard to connect with people for so long, but now it seems almost effortless. I've already repaired some broken friendships and built new ones, and I feel like something inside me that's been sleeping my whole life is finally awake.

I've been working on myself for a long time and this was definitely coming, but I didn't expect it to happen so suddenly. It's like the waters had been gradually rising, but then the dam burst, and the rush of water overwhelmed several more downstream. So here I am, still discombobulated, floating in the floodwaters in a place I've never come to before, but so glad to have finally freed myself of the constraints I've been under. I'm finally no longer just in survival mode—I'm here and ready to be an active participant in the world.

So yeah. That's cool.

A couple of other things:

1) L-theanine is the absolute shiznit for my anxiety. I started taking it in November last year (as an experiment, not even to try to treat my anxiety) and it was frankly the best thing that happened to me all year. There's no high at all—it's just if I take it, all the physical symptoms of anxiety are alleviated. Can't recommend it enough. (If anyone decides to get some based on this recommendation, keep in mind that not all brands are the same quality—California Gold is by far the best one I've found)

2) My friend gave me a professional camera—a Canon EOS 70D, with two lenses (including a very fancy zoom lens)—because he said I'm talented at photography and should have a real camera. It's fucking great so far, and I'm still flabbergasted at the gift!
alice

Post by alice »

Risla wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:47 pm I had three world-shattering personal epiphanies a couple weeks ago within a few days of each other and my mindset has totally shifted. I struggled so hard to connect with people for so long, but now it seems almost effortless. I've already repaired some broken friendships and built new ones, and I feel like something inside me that's been sleeping my whole life is finally awake.
That's really great news. I am very, very happy for you! :D :D :D
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations, Risla!

(Pedantic note: you should, however, keep in mind that a specific psychological drug might not work as well for other people as it works for you. They often have different effects on different people.)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I'm very happy for you, Risla!
finlay

Post by finlay »

hi, risla! miss you :)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Congrats Risla! And long time no see!
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

Vardelm wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:32 pm
sasasha wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:16 am postgraduate studies
Congrats! That's fantastic!

leftover tortilla chip under your desk from lunch = win.

It's the little things in life.
Thank you, that's kind. And agreed on the tortilla front.
Risla wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:47 pm I had three world-shattering personal epiphanies a couple weeks ago within a few days of each other and my mindset has totally shifted. I struggled so hard to connect with people for so long, but now it seems almost effortless. I've already repaired some broken friendships and built new ones, and I feel like something inside me that's been sleeping my whole life is finally awake.
That's utterly brilliant! Congratulations.
Risla

Post by Risla »

Thanks, everyone!

It's definitely a weird time to be me. I'm shocking myself daily with the stuff I find myself doing and saying and couldn't be happier about it. Getting lots of comments from people around me too about how my whole demeanor has shifted. Weird but good.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

My sister graduates with her Master’s today!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations to your sister!
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

It feels so good to have gotten a haircut for the first time in more than five months. Like I've come blinking out of the cave and rejoined civilized society.
Risla

Post by Risla »

As of today (August 20), I've walked over 10,000 steps every single day for a thousand days—every day since November 25, 2017.

And tomorrow, a thousand and one…
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Amazing! All that, while making us feel like cryptographic idiots as well. And congrats to MinS's sister. As the possessor of a superfluous post-graduate degree, I hope it brings her more luck than it did me.

On topic. In the spring I quit my job just before Corona, which means I missed the opportunity to get paid for doing nothing (since the place I worked would have paid out the rest of the year without requiring much in the way of work). Now I've got a new job, and the first thing I learn is that I probably won't be doing anything at first, while still getting paid, because of Corona-related delays. The 'Rona giveth, and the 'Rona taketh away.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
alice

Post by alice »

Risla wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:44 am As of today (August 20), I've walked over 10,000 steps every single day for a thousand days—every day since November 25, 2017.

And tomorrow, a thousand and one…
How many moras (morae?) is that equivalent to?
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zeptoforth 0.9.0 is out, complete with wordlists organizing the built-in functionality, so you can now choose whether you want to see internal functionality or not!
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:57 am zeptoforth 0.9.0 is out, complete with wordlists organizing the built-in functionality, so you can now choose whether you want to see internal functionality or not!
I have to check out zeptoforth once I'm free again.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

rotting bones wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:52 am
Travis B. wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:57 am zeptoforth 0.9.0 is out, complete with wordlists organizing the built-in functionality, so you can now choose whether you want to see internal functionality or not!
I have to check out zeptoforth once I'm free again.
Mind you, you'll need to get your hands on a STM32L476 DISCOVERY or STM32F407 DISCOVERY board from STMicroelectronics or one of their dealers such as Arrow, or you'll need to do a port for some other Cortex-M4 board, if you feel up to it.

Just warning you, this is a Forth implementation, and it isn't exactly a standard one, so there might be a learning curve.

If you want to take a look, its GitHub page is at http://github.com/tabemann/zeptoforth and its hackaday.io page is at https://hackaday.io/project/170826-zeptoforth.