The oddities of Basque

Natural languages and linguistics
Talskubilos

Re: The oddities of Basque

Post by Talskubilos »

bradrn wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:15 amAs with modern IE languages, PIE had a very productive derivational morphology, and its traces are all over its modern-day descendants.
So you're basically saying PIE behaves like a conlang, are you?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Talskubilos wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:26 am
bradrn wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:15 amAs with modern IE languages, PIE had a very productive derivational morphology, and its traces are all over its modern-day descendants.
No, why would I say that? If anything, I’m saying that conlangs can become more naturalistic by having a productive derivational morphology.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

No, conlangs often imitate PIE, but not the other way round.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:24 amAnd you couldn't explain that? Also, naming animals for a trait they have is not particularly uncommon — both Sinitic and Japonic appear to have onomatopoeic words for "cat", for example; we also have animal names like rusty spotted cat, ant-eater, and so on in English — so an explanation of why you find it ridiculous would also be in order, as is an apology.
It happens that "speckled" isn't a salient characteristic of piglets, but rather of boar cubs. :-)

Last edited by Talskubilos on Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

bradrn wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:32 amNo, why would I say that? If anything, I’m saying that conlangs can become more naturalistic by having a productive derivational morphology.
The thing is the +2000 lexical items reconstructed for PIE haven't got the same Ablaut nor derivative patterns, IMHO because they belong to different linguistic strata.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Aww, so cute! But I’m not sure I’d call them ‘speckled’. ‘Lined’, perhaps.
Talskubilos wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:36 am
bradrn wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:32 amNo, why would I say that? If anything, I’m saying that conlangs can become more naturalistic by having a productive derivational morphology.
The thing is the +2000 lexical items reconstructed for PIE haven't got the same Ablaut nor derivative patterns, IMHO because they belong to different linguistic strata.
Examples, please?
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Talskubilos wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:33 am Cute picture.
Would those be multicoloured boar cubs?
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:07 amWould those be multicoloured boar cubs?
Yes, that's right.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

So "multicoloured" shifting to "young pig" is an entirely plausible etymology.
Zju

Post by Zju »

If anything, your ad hoc protoforms of all kinds of alleged wanderwörter are constructed.
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:18 amSo "multicoloured" shifting to "young pig" is an entirely plausible etymology.
It could be so if "Kurgan" (or any body else who spoke "PIE") people didn't domesticate the animal and imported piglets from elsewhere without the corresponding loanword.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

Zju wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:52 amIf anything, your ad hoc protoforms of all kinds of alleged wanderwörter are constructed.
In long-range comparisons, it's far easier to pick Wandewörter rather than true inherited lexicon (excluding chance resemblances, of course).
keenir

Post by keenir »

Talskubilos wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:10 am
bradrn wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:01 amYes, indeed they are extremely different :) “warm”↔“apple” makes very little sense, whereas “dig”↔“pig” is perfectly plausible.
As I said before, there's no such verb 'to dig'. ;)
as you said before, you don't believe the findings of IE-ists, nor their arcane tomes, nor their isolationist findings.

So, what are you basing your 'there's no such verb 'to dig'' upon? *i am curious*
Zju

Post by Zju »

Talskubilos wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:17 am
Zju wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:52 amIf anything, your ad hoc protoforms of all kinds of alleged wanderwörter are constructed.
In long-range comparisons, it's far easier to pick Wandewörter rather than true inherited lexicon (excluding chance resemblances, of course).
[citation needed]

It's easy to pick what on first glance look like Wandewörter, but what are likely chance resemblances.
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
keenir

Post by keenir »

Talskubilos wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:58 am
keenir wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:46 amwait, why do we need a missing link, when you said the Nakh language provides a better origin than PIE does? if you're using Nakh as a source for a missing link, then where is the language that Nakh gets it from?(from PIE to Nakh to IE?)
Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough. On the one hand, we've got an "apple" Wanderwort in several languages, and on the other IE *meh₂l-o- 'apple'. The Nakh-Daghestanian word would be the "missing link" between both. :)
just so I'm clear (and thank you for explaining further to avoid confusion), earlier you said Nakh was the origin, and now you're saying its an intermediate; did you change your mind?
keenir

Post by keenir »

oh so thats what happened to that conlang I left printouts of, those thousands of years ago...

(yeah, I've since regressed massively in my conlanging ability since then) :)
keenir

Post by keenir »

Talskubilos wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:33 am
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:24 amAnd you couldn't explain that? Also, naming animals for a trait they have is not particularly uncommon — both Sinitic and Japonic appear to have onomatopoeic words for "cat", for example; we also have animal names like rusty spotted cat, ant-eater, and so on in English — so an explanation of why you find it ridiculous would also be in order, as is an apology.
It happens that "speckled" isn't a salient characteristic of piglets, but rather of boar cubs. :-)
where do you think pigs came from? also, many pig breeds - extant and extinct - have been mottled
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Talskubilos wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:15 am
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:18 amSo "multicoloured" shifting to "young pig" is an entirely plausible etymology.
It could be so if "Kurgan" (or any body else who spoke "PIE") people didn't domesticate the animal and imported piglets from elsewhere without the corresponding loanword.
I don't see why that's necessary. Say you have a word for "cat" because your people have seen cats, but your people haven't domesticated cats. Domestic cats reach your people, yet you already have a word for "cat"; is there any reason you would necessarily borrow a word for "domestic cat"? Maybe, but maybe not.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

PIE is typically described as being heavily based on verbal roots, though, even for truly elementary concepts like fire, water, frogs, weather, and people. As Ive said further upthread, I think people go a little too far in trying to break down even these very fundamental concepts into preexisting compounds, such as saying that "night" is derived from the word for "naked" .... but with a less than convincing argument for the semantic shift. Yet, the structure of these proposed etymologies is not in doubt ..... you would have to argue against the whole of PIE scholarship if you think that words for basic concepts were not derived through vowel ablaut from preexisting verb roots.
Skookum

Post by Skookum »

Really confused by what you mean by this, since derivation is a process in all natural languages as far as I know.
Pabappa wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:27 pm PIE is typically described as being heavily based on verbal roots, though, even for truly elementary concepts like fire, water, frogs, weather, and people. As Ive said further upthread, I think people go a little too far in trying to break down even these very fundamental concepts into preexisting compounds, such as saying that "night" is derived from the word for "naked" .... but with a less than convincing argument for the semantic shift. Yet, the structure of these proposed etymologies is not in doubt ..... you would have to argue against the whole of PIE scholarship if you think that words for basic concepts were not derived through vowel ablaut from preexisting verb roots.
Salish languages work in a similar way. For example, the Squamish word for "water", staqʷ, is derived from taqʷ "to drink" plus the nominalizing prefix s-. So its definitely a feature that occurs in attested languages and not just reconstructed ones like PIE.