Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Travis B. »

And this was as quick minor version bump, but now 0.10.0 of zeptoforth is out. The minor version bump is because this version includes a heap allocator, ported from another Forth of mine, enabling dynamic memory allocation. It would have been a patch-level version bump otherwise, due to also including a fix to a trivial (to fix, not w.r.t. impact) bug in one of the platforms' binaries.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Since you talk about Zeptoforth a lot, why not make a dedicated thread for it?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

KathTheDragon wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:36 am Since you talk about Zeptoforth a lot, why not make a dedicated thread for it?
Somehow I don't like the idea of a thread devoted solely to a piece of software I am (mostly) the author of. Maybe the Daily Creativity thread would be a good place for my comments on zeptoforth. Of course, the reason why I often comment on it in the Happy things thread is that it is indeed something that makes me happy.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Ah, don't take it as me saying you shouldn't be posting here! I'd just noticed you've been posting way past the point I would've made a new thread.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Bugfixing - one of the little joys in life! Yes it can be quite frustrating before the bug is fixed, but it can be quite satisfying when it is.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I was going to make a vent about creating zeptoforth binaries including swdcom, but then I realized a way to do it with almost no change to my existing scripts, simply by not rebooting the microcontroller after loading the swdcom driver and before pulling the ihex data from it.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Three-day weekend! (And it still means something because I have a regular job.) Maybe I'll finally get some of the reading done that I never quite get to on a weekday evening despite my best intentions.
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

I passed the Sanskrit class I was taking this summer, just barely. Due to the absolutely fantastic (read: abysmal) state of my mental health since lockdown started, I'd missed the majority of the homework assignments. But extreme cramming for the final plus some strategic last-minute late turning in of late work got me a pass. Now I can move on to the next level and hopefully do better this time.
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations!
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Linguoboy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:50 pm Three-day weekend! (And it still means something because I have a regular job.) Maybe I'll finally get some of the reading done that I never quite get to on a weekday evening despite my best intentions.
I personally find that it works best in the mornings, but your mileage may vary.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

MacAnDàil wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:09 am
Linguoboy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:50 pm Three-day weekend! (And it still means something because I have a regular job.) Maybe I'll finally get some of the reading done that I never quite get to on a weekday evening despite my best intentions.
I personally find that it works best in the mornings, but your mileage may vary.
I finished one of the eight books I'm currently reading (the shortest and most boring)...and promptly started on another.
Torco

Post by Torco »

I've kind of given up on buying a nice house in my area: there's no such thing that's within what someone on my income can afford, no matter how much I save. so fuck it.

this sounds like a sad thing, but in fact it has been a freeing epiphany: I'm thinking of other investments, like buying a big plot of land on the outskirts and building a couple houses on it, renting it out: I know, I'm supposed to be a communist and I'm gonna become a dirty landlord... but fuck it, I need to have something for when I'm old (ain't gonna get a lot from the pinochet pension fund tbh), and besides I sure don't want to work in an office 20 more years. this feeling of agency feels good tbh.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I got permission from the author to relicense a bunch of code I had borrowed from another Forth implementation from GPL3 to MIT, so now zeptoforth is MIT licensed. The reason this is a happy thing is that I have had people express interest in zeptoforth, but view the use of a copyleft license as a roadblock. Now that zeptoforth is no longer copylefted it is likely to get more interest overall.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I finally got off my fat ass and made a clafoutis (I guess technically it's a flaugnarde) with the plums I bought before they got mushy. It's a bit tarter than I expected but my neighbour loved it and that's all that matters.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I had my first infusion of Remicade on Friday.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Two days before a midterm and I feel sort of prepared
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Someone I know gave me Forth code for memory maps for the STM32L476 and the STM32F407, the two microcontrollers supported by zeptoforth, and I processed them into little chunks that the user can compile as they see fit without having to compile the whole things (which would take up a ton of Flash or, god forbid, RAM). Now it will, with my next release, come with full preprocessed memory maps for these two MCUs out of the box.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

This week I seriously got into Wine. That is, the software for using Windows software under Linux, not the drink. As a result, I might use Windows itself less in the future.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

My new shaver is working really well!
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

We got drum tracks recorded for about two-thirds of the album.